Very hard to gain weight

I want to gain weight for football. I am 16, 5’9 155-160lbs, 6%bf, naturally lean and people say I have a fast metabolism. I play WR and Rover(OLB) in football. I want to get up to 165-175lbs. I have been eating over 3000-3500 Calories per day for the past week or two now and I have not gained any weight. I eat 4-6 meals per day and it is all pretty clean food. I have eliminated sodas for the past 5 years(seriously), candy and desserts for the past 2 years(I maybe eat one dessert when I am in an off-phase), and I try to eliminate any high fat or unhealthy food the best I can. I end each day with a high calorie shake with about 800-900 calories.

If yall need to know anything else just ask.

In my opinion its usually all about calories. Most people think they take in more calories than they actually. Did you take a count of your calories before hand, then after the fact? How good of record do you keep of your calories? The type of calories usually do not make a signficant difference as the amount of energy expensed to break down the various calories is usually of little effect on weight obviously it is still better to eat healthy as you are doing, but the type of calorie usually doesnt have major effect on your weight. I really do not know much about absorbtion and its effect on the body, however i do know that eggs have a significantly higher absorbtion rate than high caloric shakes. I have found shakes to usually have almost no effect on my weight, while eggs 7-8 where you would put a shake to have a positive effect on my weight. Obviously eggs also have a negative effect, but thats just my experience.

I have a pretty good idea of how much my caloric intake is. I do have pretty intense workouts and I do alot of conditioning in the texas heat so that probably burns a lot of my calories. So are you saying that eggs would help me gain weight?

I will go ahead and list what I put in my shake. I take that back its probably 650-700 calories.

1 scoop 100%whey by ON
1 Banana
2-3tbsp of Peanut butter
8oz Nonfat Dry Milk
1/2 cup oats

Record diet (everything) and training. Adjust intake as needed. Shouldn’t be that hard but some people obviously have a more difficult time gaining weight than others. BTW, it’s very hard to eat clean all the time and still get the calories that you need/want if you’re trying to gain weight. And please don’t respond with “but I don’t want to get fat” :slight_smile:

The makeup of your shake is not going to change ur diet that much but u want stuff that absorbs in your body more. Peanut butter and milk are both good at absorbtion so they are fine. Shakes are notoriously bad and I believe oats are fairly poor as well, not sure of bananas. But on the protein side the top absorbers are peanut related products, eggs, milk, chicken at the top. But definately keep better records write it down for two or three weeks and then adjust it as needed. If you switched the calories by 200 on ur shake alone you should probably keep a journal for a couple weeks and note your weight as well.

I agree with what was said above about increase the calories. If you’re not gaining weight you’re just not eating enough calories. I have a similar body type you do, when I was in my early 20’s I wanted to gain weight I had to be taking over 4000 calories/day to get the weight up.

gonna be very diffcult for you to gain weight at this point in the year bc your conditioning load has increased, i would perfer to gain weight in the offseason jan-may so your body has time to adjust to the new weight.

The conditioning load was still high back in that time also, and I did my own speed work. But I think I will just have to use meal replacements. Also if I do get my weight up, will I have to maintain it consistently?

1 can of coconut milk = 510 calories

This is all you need to know.

damn, how much pro/carbs

That is mostly fat… Saturated fat that is.

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/12117.html

Saturated fat is not evil. MCTs can be beneficial.

Has saturated fat? So does milk and meat. Fat is where your calories are at my man. You have to decide if you want to gain weight or not. Either chug down some fat or try to eat 15lbs of broccoli(which would supply you with 2000calories 170g of protein)

makes sense, darn hes only 165 dripping wet so a lil fat wont hurt.

So are yall saying that my diet does not need to be as good as it is now?

its the summer time in the texas heat and your training hard, i dont see a problem with taking in a lil more fat its not like you are 15% bf @ 170 trying to gain weight.

It’s not like you’re eating organic blueberries/rasberries, pineapple, free range grass fed beef, seaweed, and all of that. You’re eating some bananas, peanut butter, and oatmeal–good for a high school kid but let’s be a little realistic here. Coconut oil is healthy for you and a great oil for cooking and coconut milk tastes great (to me at least). Just start eating more food–good and bad.

More mass would also help my acceleration in football. With John Berardi’s calorie calculator, it says I should be taking in over 4000 calories per day. Also, I am done timing a 40 until next off-season so I dont need to diet well for that so I guess I will just start eating more fat.

Eh I am not quite saying that and some of it depends on your opinions on some nutrition related subjects that arent quite understood yet.

Having a good diet is always a good thing and I dont think you should scratch it because your not gaining weight.

I think you should just try to find ways to increase calorie intake while keeping a healthy diet. Like I said maybe do some studying on foods that have higer absorbtion. Maybe find healthy drinks to add to your diet that have some calories fruit/veggie juices, more milk, get more caloires that way if you can.

Fat intake does not make you fat and does not increase body fat, but you will still want to watch it from a health factor. I dont think adding a lot of coconut milk is the answer seems to have a ton of fat. I mean just be smart, if your eating healthy just find healthy ways to get some more calories.

I have a friend who is a powerlifter and he believes to gain weight one should eat as much solid food at one sitting then finish off with drinking as much juice a couple glasses heavy duty jucies ex: cranberry juice, it seems to work pretty well him.