Name Year Team Finals

Finals
1 Berhanu Alemu Ethiopia 1:50.27
2 David Krummenacker Adidas 1:50.38
3 Michael Stember Nike 1:51.02
4 Floyd Thompson S M T C 1:52.46
5 Derrick Peterson Adidas 1:52.73
6 Otukile Lekote Botswana 1:53.

http://www.usatf.org/news/showRelease.asp?article=/news/releases/2004-02-06-2.xml

3 world leaders, 2 meet records at Verizon Millrose Games
2-6-2004

NEW YORK – A big crowd brought out big performances, including three meet records, Friday night at the Verizon Millrose Games, the second stop on USA Track & Field’s Golden Spike Tour.

A robust crowd of 14,154 fans – a 70-percent increase over 2003 – turned out to Madison Square Garden to witness an outstanding, 97th edition of the Verizon Millrose Games. The athletes did not disappoint as Allen Johnson and Gail Devers broke meet records and Christian Cantwell joined the due on turning in world-leading performances, while Marion Jones won her first competition.

“I’m happy with everything today,” said Johnson, summarizing the sentiments of many athletes. “It was so great to see so many people in the stands – I hadn’t seen that in a while. The excitement out there was terrific.”

Johnson created excitement by dominating the men’s 60-meter hurdles with a performance that earned him the Fred Schmertz Waterford Crystal Trophy as the meet’s top performer. The four-time world outdoor 110m hurdles champion led from the start and ran a very quick 7.43 seconds to break the Verizon Millrose Games record. Ladji Doucoure of France was a distant second (7.55).

As is her custom, Devers made the women’s 60-meter hurdles virtually a one-woman race. The three-time world outdoor 100m hurdles champion seized the lead and continued on to post a world-leading time of 7.76 seconds, just .02 off her American record and beating her own Verizon Millrose Games record. Reigning world outdoor champion Perdita Felicien of Canada was second in 7.94.

Christian Cantwell improved on his own world-leading mark and personal best in winning the NYAC men’s shot put with a throw of 21.28/69-9.75. Reese Hoffa finished second with 19.98m/65-6.76, and Adam Nelson was third with 19.81m/65-0.

Jones provided all the closing excitement that the crowd expected from the three-time Olympic gold medalist. In her first race since September, 2002, and since giving birth to her son in June, Jones sloughed off a sluggish start to win the Verizon women’s 60 meters in 7.21 seconds. Angela Daigle placed second, leading Jones until the final steps of the race, in 7.24.

Tisha Waller won her eighth career Verizon Millrose Games title in the women’s high jump, taking the competition with a clearance of 1.92m/6-3.5. Two-time champion Amy Acuff also cleared 1.92m but placed second due to having more misses than Waller.

Jearl Miles-Clark took the lead and pulled away from Sandie Richards to win her eighth Millrose title of her career of any distance in the Sunny D Intense Sport women’s 500 meters, with a time of1:03.68. Sandie Richards of Jamaica was second in 1:04.51., and distances from 400 to 800 meters. Coming off an American record in the Sunny D Intense Sport women’s 500 meters

Miles-Clark’s sister-in-law, Hazel Clark, avenged her fall at last week’s adidas Boston Indoor Games to win her second consecutive Verizon Millrose Games title in the Sunny D Intense Sport women’s 800 meters. The 2000 Olympic Trials champion, Clark posted a time of 2:05.79 to comfortably defeat Michelle Ballantine of Jamaica (2:06.05).

Berhanu Alemu of Ethiopia held off two-time defending Verizon Millrose Champion David Krummenacker in the men’s 800 meters, posting a time of 1:50.27 to Krummenacker’s 1:50.38.

Stacy Dragila won yet another Millrose crown in the Visa women’s pole vault with a clearance of 4.64m/15-02.75; Jillian Schwartz was second at 4.25m/14-3.25.

Germaine Mason, the 21-year-old wunderkind from Jamaica, won the John Thomas men’s high jump with a clearance of 2.23m/7-3.75. The 2000 World Junior silver medalist and 2002 bronze medalist, Mason turned 21 just three weeks ago and placed fifth at the 2003 World Outdoors.

Joey Woody, the 2003 World Championships silver medalist in the 400-meter hurdles, moved up in distance to win the Mel Sheppard 600 yards with a time of 1:11.27. Woody held off 2000 Olympic fourth-place 400m hurdler James Carter, who placed second in 1:11.44.

Carmen Douma of Canada moved past early leaders Jen Toomey (third in 4:17.81) and Meskerem Legesse (second in 4:17.32) of Ethiopia in the final half of Fred Lebow women’s 1,500 meters, winning in 4:16.78.

Brazil’s Hudson de Souza ran 4:02.93 to easily win the Wanamaker mile over James Thie of Great Britain (4:04.28).

Asafa Powell, the Jamaican national champion, was first out of the blocks and ran away to a win in the Pro Sports & Entertainment men’s 60 meters, with a time of 6.56 seconds. John Capel was second in 6.65.

Toby Stevenson won the first Verizon Millrose Games title of his career in the Fred Schmertz men’s pole vault. Stevenson beat out the top competition the U.S. had to offer with his clearance of 5.70m/18-8.25. American record holder Jeff Hartwig placed second with 5.60m/18-4.5.

John Nunn, a sergeant in the Army’s world-class athlete program, won his first Verizon Millrose title in the men’s 1-mile walk with his time of 6:03.37.

For complete results and athlete quotes, visit www.usatf.org

http://www.usatf.org/news/showRelease.asp?article=/news/releases/2004-02-06.xml

Verizon Millrose Games athlete quotes
2-6-2004

Marion Jones, women’s 60-meter dash: “At the start, I was nervous. I would love to have been the first event on the program, but I don’t think the meet director would have been too pleased with that. Once I was able to get up and start running in the race, I felt comfortable. Once again, the start seems to elude me, so it’s back to the drawing board. It’s one of those gutsy performances. The girls ran great. It was not a great start for me, but I was able to get my first win of the 2004 season, so I’m happy with that. I feel pleased with the way things are going in practice. The whole comeback thing, and there were some nerves – I just wanted to start running and be done with all the hoopla. I wanted to be like the other athletes and blend in. It’s so difficult to do that these days. But I was able to maintain my composure and pull it through in the end. I’m pleased with that. I’m not overly pleased with the time, but I’m going to sleep well. As long as I get a win against that field, I’m pleased. After 4 steps, I looked like a woman who’s been on pregnancy leave. Then I kind of switched gears and said, I’m Olympic champion and I better be out here dominating this race. To make my debut at the Millrose Games and get beaten, that’s not how I wanted to start my season. I’m happy to be back in the swing of things. It was challenging to me prior to the race. My biggest fear coming in was would I be able to click on that intense focus I have. I was able to do that with no problem. It must be like riding a bike. One of the reasons of coming to Millrose was to see where I was in training. I felt like I had to prove something to myself tonight.”

Allen Johnson, men’s 60-meter hurdles, 7.43 WORLD LEADER: “It was quick. It’s my first big race of the year so I didn’t know exactly what to expect. To be honest, I just went out there and ran as fast as I could. It felt good, I felt light on my feet, so I’m extremely happy with my performance. Every time I see Gail run, that inspires me. She’s done it as long as she ahs on a high level. I was expecting it, but I’m not surprised. I ran some races last week in Chapel Hill, and I ran 7.55. So I knew I would run at least that fast. It seems like every year at this meet, something happens – I get bumped or I’m injured or something. This year, I told myself that this year there wouldn’t be any excuses. I’m happy with everything today. It was so great to see so many people in the stands – I hadn’t seen that in a while. The excitement out there was terrific. It was so great to walk into the stadium tonight and feel that buzz that track & field fans have. I just looked around the arena, soaked it in and thought this is where I belong, back amongst the people who really love this sport.”

Gail Devers, women’s 60-meter hurdles 7.76 WORLD LEADER: “It was a sloppy race. When I see the film, I know I’m going to be upset. I felt wild. I hit a hurdle. My start didn’t feel in control at all. But I’m harder on myself than anybody else has been and will be. I ran faster than I’ve run this year so far. In previous years, I could tell you I’m going to the Olympic Games, but I can’t tell you that right now. I came back because I had so many fans who wanted me to come back.” Christian Cantwell, men’s shot put: 21.28/69-9.75 WORLD LEADER: “I saw the big crowd and just got fired up and just went after it. I’m glad I had an opportunity to come to Madison Square Garden. Both times I’ve come to New York I’ve thrown personal bests [2002 USA Indoors being his previous competition]. I wouldn’t say I’m the #1 guy to beat – Adam Nelson is still the guy to beat, he’s the Olympic silver medalist.”

Stacy Dragila, women’s pole vault: “I felt really good. I warmed up really well. All in all, it was a very solid day. My step was consistent, and my pole selection was good. My coach was more concerned about the technical aspects today. I have another meet next weekend in Fayetteville. I’m really happy with the results. I feel very confident on the runway right now.”

John Nunn, men’s 1-mile walk (Sergeant, U.S. Army world-class athlete program): “Honestly, I was hoping to do a lot better – to be able to go under 6 minutes. I went through the first lap in 28 seconds, and I was supposed to go through in 30 seconds flat. I realized it and got a little frustrated. I came through the second lap in 30 seconds, and lost it.”

Nicole Blood, high school girls’ mile run, repeat winner from 2003: “I felt really well. After the first lap, I took the lead. I felt great. The race went by really well for me. My time was about the same as last year. There were two girls with me last year, so it was more competitive.”

Dewitt Clinton High School, boys’ 4x400m relay Jeremy Alvarez: “The leadoff leg did his job coming out. Basically, he took control of the whole race which set the tone for the rest of the race.” Dwight Crooks: “This is a big deal, in the beginning of the year, we look at this race as one we want to win. It’s a stepping stone. This is extra special – it’s my fourth year trying and we got it.”

A. Philip Randolph High School, girls’ 4x400m relay Natasha Hastings: “I think we all felt pretty confident. We switched it up a little bit in terms of the order and who ran the finals. We were all ready to go. It’s three seniors and one junior, so it’s a great way to end your high school Millrose career. It’s pretty exciting to be the champs.”

Tisha Waller, women’s high jump, 8-time winner: “I love it here. It’s a great environment to jump. A lot of people have difficutly because there’s so much going on. It’s an exciting place to jump. You know the fans are going to come. It went OK. I’ve been training and not jumping much due to weather on the East Coast. It worked off. My timing was off a little bit, but it went well.”

South Carolina, men’s 4x400 meters – Adrian Durant, 3rd leg: “We all came in with some injures We were ready for a real tough race with Seton Hall as returning champions. But Seton Hall dropped the baton, so it wasn’t too hard to establish a lead. From the second leg on, we had the lead.”

Germaine Mason, men’s high jump: “Jamaica doesn’t really have indoor facilities, so coming here to Madison Square Garden was a great experience. The competition was very good, because I jumped against the great Charles Austin and Mark Boswell. It was a great experience to jump against these guys. Charles is a cool guy, talking to him and helping me.”

Hakon DeVries, John Jay High High School, boys’ mile: “I hadn’t really planned on going out as fast as the race went out. I heard the announcer yell it was 60 at the 400. That was a little quick. I’m glad it slowed down, and I was able to kick down Victor in the end of the race. This was my first time. Just running the Garden is awesome. Everybody got out of their seats to cheer the last 400 meters. I really had a lot of fun.”

Jearl Miles-Clark, women’s 500 meters, 8th Millrose title: “It felt good. The key was to get the lead, because it’s such a small track – same thing you do in the 400. From there, it’s a tactical race. I got bumped a little and thought I was going. I tried to get the 500 meter record last year and it didn’t pan out. My training has been going a lot better. I caught a cold, but I’m coming around. I was really happy with her, because at Boston, she went down and I wanted to see a good race from her. I’m leaning toward the 800 meters outdoors. I made the last Olympics and it didn’t pan out like I wanted, so I have something to do there.”

Hazel Clark, winner 800 meters: “I feel pretty good. I felt like I had another gear. I was smooth and in control – if anyone had pulled up to me, I could have responded. If anything, I was angry from last week. I’m in good shape, and I wasn’t able to finish the race last week [she fell]. On my morning runs and on all of my workouts, I wanted to show everyone that I’m ready this year. This week went well, I’m at home … it was just great. This is the type of race I don’t really worry about time. My sister gave me a lot of helpful hints. I just pretty much did the secret trick that she does. Last year was very hard for me, to see people beating me. People forget about you, it was like I didn’t exist. This is redemption for me.”

Berhanu Alemu, men’s 800 meters: “The competition is not easy. I came here for the first time, but I was lucky to win this race. This track is very small, but I can’t go any faster than this on the track. I expected Krummenacker – he is very very fantastic. He’s the world indoor champion, so I expected him. It’s very, very, very good. It’s better for me to have the people cheering.”

Toby Stevenson, men’s pole vault: “Absolutely amazing. This is great. Everybody knows about the Millrose Games, wants to compete in Millrose Games, and wants to win the Millrose Games. Now I’ve done all three, and it feels awesome. The four Americans in the field were the top four Americans in the U.S. We jump against each other all the time, so it’s always. Things are coming together technically. I took a step back. I’ve been working on a lot of technical aspects and to stay on the course – focus on what I’m doing instead of how high I’m jumping.”

Fordham Prep, High School boys’ 4x800m relay. Greg Sans, anchor leg: “It was great. I think we were all really nervous beforehand. We just stayed confident. We knew we were all fast, were training hard and deserved it. So it paid off. This is our third year in a row, and we won national championships two times last year. This gives us a whole new confidence. When you go up against the best and you win, it just boosts what you already have.”

Letitia Gilkes, University of Texas-San Antonia 1,000 yards: “It was a new experience for me. I had nothing to lose, everything to gain. It’s just awesome. The crowd and everything – it’s probably what motivates everybody.”

Carmen Douma, women’s 1,500 meters: “When I saw my coach, Marcus O’Sullivan, he said you’re vacation’s over. I’ve had a couple of weeks off as far as training hard goes. I was thinking about that in the last 800 meters. Marcus is one of the best runners ever on the indoor track. He’s famous here at the Millrose Games, so he obviously knows how to do it. He always says don’t make more moves than you have to when you’re out there. So I tried to stay comfortable. I got a little behind, but I didn’t panic.”

Hudson de Souza, Wanamaker Mile: “It’s my second competition this year indoors. The mile is my race. I feel good. In the middle of the race, I felt good. The pacemakers stopped, and I ran good.”

Johnny Gray, Millrose Hall of Fame: “I’m very honored. It’s a privilege to be inducted. What the meet meant means to me and many other runners is it gives us a chance to display our talents and grow. Without meets like Millrose, we couldn’t prepare for the rest of the season. It gives us a chance to compete against the best in the world. This meet has meant a lot to my career. It gave me courage, it gave me confidence. Tonight was a great. I accept it as being my biggest accomplishment. I accepted that almost with more pride than accepting an Olympic medal. Many people win medals every year in the Olympics. But not many of those Olympians are going to make it into the Millrose Games Hall of Fame. I’m proud to have accomplished what I accomplished as a clean athlete.”

Melaine Walker, Essex, women’s college 60m hurdles: “This is great. I didn’t think I would win today, but I came out there, came focused. My coach gave me a couple tips, to run off the last hurdle no matter what. It was awesome in front of that crowd – I feel so great.”

Joey Woody, men’s 600 yards: “I just came off of the Boston meet. I didn’t have too good of a performance there. Tonight I had a goal of being aggressive at the start. I was able to hold off guys at the end of the race. It’s a great race for me to be able to prepare for outdoors. My strength and my power right now is going really well, better than it ever has. So I’m on a good path for the outdoor season.”

Richard Kiplagat, men’s college mile: “The race was easy, to make it for fun. It wasn’t so fast. It’s my first indoor race so far this year, so the race was tactical. It’s challenging for making fast decisions. I don’t care about the time – I have nothing to worry about. I’m not in shape like I was last year at this time. In Decmeber, my sister was sick, having heart surgery in Kenya, so I went back. I just came back on January 5.”

Josh Walker, Florida, men’s college 60-meter hurdles: “I felt pretty good. I was a little bit concerned with my start – I’ve been changing my blocks lots of times in the last two weeks. I had a good day today and ended up winning the race. This is my first Millrose Games. I loved it. The atmosphere is great. My family is from Queens, so a lot of family who hadn’t had a chance to watch me compete.”

Jessica Clarke, Bergtraum HS, high school girls’ 60-meter dash: “I was nervous about my start. I came out the best and I continued being at my best. This is my first Millrose Games. I felt my time was good, because this was my first 60-meter dash. I knew I knew I would have competition out of the blocks.”

Jaleel Davis, Boys and Girls high school, boys 60-meter dash: “It felt good. I kind of had a rough start at the beginning of the season, but I’m doing it better. I thought my locks were messed up at first, but then I took my time.”

Mardy Scales, Middle Tennessee, college men’s 60-meter dash: “It was a good race. It wasn’t the time I wanted to run. I’d been sick last week, so I tried to practice and get back into form. My start hadn’t been too good, today it seemed it was on point again.”

Asafa Powell, men’s 60-meter dash: “I’m very happy with my time. I came here to win. I did that, but the real training hasn’t started yet. I was very surprised. I was leading at the beginning. I expected Coby Miller and John Capel to be there.”