Velocity Sports Performance?

ok thank you I’ll search the forums better… :smiley:

You never came across that way. I prefer your first hand account to the facility. At least we can see that there are excellent attempts at qualifying the staff and apparently some good coaches there :smiley:

from personal experience, definitely not!

if the distance is held fixed and increases as season progresses (and performance “gets better”), the following things happened to me and others:

as a rather tall runner, the short spaces made my strides very short, same for arms, which made my shoulders very tight! coach was asking this “quick” cadence to be maintained for 10-20m after the ladder, which was killing me!

for the other guys in the group, although this spacing was “ok”, exactly the reverse was happening when the gaps were getting bigger (overstriding, etc)

ladder equals death to relaxation, technique, speed!

since i’ve experienced it, i thought it’d be good for you to see it…

although you’ve already Charlie’s comment…

I think the young man (tackler) was talking about another ladder (the agility ladder you see on nikegridiron.com). Both the acceleration ladder and the agility ladder are pieces of sh#t. But you won’t hear that at a nike camp!!

anyway i don’t need to buy it i will just follow the ‘‘scheme’’ of the floor’s bricks… :smiley:

the ladder, just well “marketed and glorified” hop scotch. can’t we just paint or tape the thing on the floor, throw a rock down and play a game? well, there is no money in that!! even kids at the playground have “outsmarted” the speed guru’s, haven’t they?

Ladder or Chalk, you only outsmart them when you don’t play at all. A bad idea is still bad, even when it’s free.

agreed! a simple kids game has been fashioned into a speed enhancement hoax that has been profitable to its supporters.

perhaps you are right; don’t know and don’t care, to be honest with you; the only reason i’ll use a ladder from now on will be to reach things i can’t
huh!

who knows maybe on another board somewhere else they are scrutinizing the cfts?

Well…

We made our trip to Velocity Sports…Took about ten kids for a FREE ‘introductory speed clinic.’

The Pros:

1. Everybody there was extremely nice. We had the entire place to ourselves, and the entire staff gave us more time than they had scheduled, including a video analysis and letting the kids lift after the clinic.

2. Their facility is very impressive. Their overhead must be insane.

3. The kids had a lot of fun.

The Cons:

1. Cookie cutter drills…Ladder, slideboard, harness, wall drills, foam rollers, etc, etc…Like a live Perform Better demo.

2. The coaches were ALL extremely considerate and patient, but I question their credibility when it comes to football. I’m sure they are all experts in their respective sports, but not one ever played football or worked full time with football players. I don’t think the advice of two skinny guys and a soccer girl carry much weight with my kids.

3. I think our visit there undermined my authority in a way, because I don’t believe in all the functional crap they use there, but the kids could potentially be impressed by all the toys and wonder why we spend so much time doing reverse hypers and GHR’s instead of jumping around in ladders and sliding back and forth on boards with pretty girls walking around watching us.

Whatever.

i have read recently that they are putting these things (facilities) fast. how do they insure quality…they can’t. it is set up to be a successful revenue generating venture, so getting kids in the door is the main goal. couple that with the fact that kids are undertrained and out of shape, so guess what, results on the front end are inevitable. and when training is “fun” kids will want to come back. velocity has to be careful that it does not turn into a PE day care center.

Of course you were undermined! If you want to know what’s going on at a place like this, go yourself! Don’t go with your own group of athletes to instructors whose very role it is to undermine you to make themselves “indespensible” in the kids minds. Multiple playthings and fancy talk impresses the impresionable.
After reviewing their films, it is clear that “neural re-patterning” is the name of the game. In other words, throw out what comes naturally and install their message (sounds like- and is- brainwashing).
At the risk of flushing out Sharmer, everything that moves sprinting to the forebrain from the hindbrain is a disaster and anyone who has actually sprinted at high levels knows this (Wrestling doesn’t count!). Check the Forum Review and the archives for MUCH more on this topic!

Hey, if it were up to me, I wouldn’t have bothered. The AD heard the word “free,” and jumped on it. His thinking was that it would be worth the time to bring ten kids somewhere to have fun and train a little, since we all had the day off, instead of leaving them to their own devices.

And since it didn’t cost anything…

But still…I’d rather have avoided it.

Undermining and brainwashing. Pretty girls. I like that. I won’t use cookie cutter anymore in my own pitch. Neural re-patterning just doesn’t have the same stigma. When an athlete performs well does the disco ball spin, and they may say, “that was off the hook!!” Hey, marketing is marketing, I guess.

Just interviewed @ veloshitty sports in NYC. Anyways the interview was with None other than Duane Carslile (the supposed speed coach for the eagles). He was a really nice guy. Anyways I did not get the job. Instead they gave it to a close friend of mine. BTW he has no clue about speed improvement. The only large group of people he has ever trained are in his spin classes at the health club. He as never even heard of A’s and B’s drills. He even admitted that this was good for him since he never really did this type of training. Yes Im playa hatin’ but this place is def more about the flash and hype than science of speed. The pay was sh1t too…

:stuck_out_tongue:

nycjay01,

are you able to train their on your own or do you need to be doing their program?

i need a place to do sprints in nyc!

Honestly the best place is Chelsea piers but it costs like 2000 bones a year to be a member it is the bomb. a 200m banked oval and a square 400m track and its empty. The armory is the place if u wanna sprint. It in washington heights 168st and broadway. Its 250 for nov-april. but no wieghts. and the times are tu and thursday. Its a real track 200m banked w/a 60m straight in the middle and lj pits on side.

Check out armorytrack.com.

To answer your question yes you have to follow thier training protocol.They teach the claw style… LOL …I was thinking of starting my own shaolin temple and teachin BIG BEN STYLE

Dont mind me Im acting like a fool…

nyc must be one of the worst places ever to train. the gyms are terrible and its impossible to do speed training anywhere.

armory would be great except it would take me a hour to get there making it almost impossible to train there with my work schedule.

Actually, wrestling does count. Very few aspects of wrestling require cognitive processing (setups and tactics). Everything else SHOULD be instinctive or hindbrian activity. The best wrestlers compete as such.

Not sure if that comment was pointed my way, but I replied anyway.