VCB wins 'technical' 60m

Campbell-Brown strikes gold in women’s 60m

Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica wins the women’s 60m title in Doha beating pre-race favourite LaVerne Jones-Ferrette
Jamaica’s Veronica Campbell-Brown won the women’s 60m final on Sunday’s (Mar 14) final day of the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qutar.

Again Campbell-Brown, the World No.4 before the event, who delivered when it mattered most, blitzing to victory in 7.00 – the fastest winning time at a World Indoor final for 11 years.

LaVerne Jones-Ferrette of the US Virgin Islands and Carmelita Jeter of the USA put in a spirited display, claiming the silver and bronze in 7.03 and 7.05, respectively but this was the Jamaican’s day, as it so often is.

[b]Campbell-Brown, who landed Jamaica’s first medal in the event since Merlene Ottey struck gold in 1995, said: “I knew the race would be very competitive. I am very confident and mentally focused. I came here with a mindset that I would I come out and execute. It is a very short race, by far the most technical.”[/B]

Jones-Ferrette was a happy second place finisher.
“I just wanted a medal,” she said. “When I leaned up through the finish line, that was my only thinking, a medal. And it happened, so I’m happy. First ever for my country. This is a great boost for the summer and my next goal is to break 11 seconds at 100m.”

In the women’s 800m, Mariya Savinova of Russia topped the field in 1:58.26 ahead of Jennifer Meadows of Great Britain (1:58.43, NR) and American Alysia Johnson (1:59.60).

Abubaker Kaki of Sudan took the men’s 800m event in 1:46.23 ahead of Boaz Kiplagat Lalang of Kenya (1:46.39) and Polish Adam Kszczot (1:46.69)