Using time wisely

I am currently involved in coaching a 15 y/o 100m/200m athlete (PRs 12.5, 26.0). We have put in a solid year of training (as much as 15 year olds can) but had lost 2-3 weeks due to illness/holiday. She then could only put in 2 weeks of solid preparation before last week’s state champs and struggled to perform in the 4 races (heat/final) over the weekend, looking very tired/flat, especially in top speed position. Despite this, she managed to run her 200m pb (marginally) in her heat and qualify for the nationals in both races. We have four weeks to prepare her for the nationals, and I feel we can make the most rapid improvements in that time via improving her general conditioning. I think 25.50 and 12.20 are well within her ability given good conditions. As part of her long term development I would also like to focus on her top speed running (using flying 20s) and body positioning during acceleration (she tends to bring her head up too early, instead of raising the head gradually with the torso). Using the upcoming interclub meets as special endurance training on the weekend (where possible), I was considering using one speed and one speed endurance day/week, as in the following set up:

Tues: Speed w. top speed tech focus
W/up drills: bounds + tuck jumps
W1: 4x20 (blocks or 3PS), 2x40 (rolling start), 5x flying 20s
W2: 4x20(blocks), 3x40(r.s), 4x20f
W3: 4x20, 4x40, 3x20f
W4 (comp is on the sunday): 4x20(blocks), 3x40(standing), 2x60(r.s)

Thurs: speed end w. bend running focus
W/up drills: A-skips, A-runs
W1: 3x30m bend start, 3x70 (accel to 30 and ‘float’, as in 200m bend running), 2x90m (from 150 mark to 60, emphasising ‘slingshot’ effect), 2x100m (95% walk back rec) (680m total)
W2 (as above): 3x30, 2x70, 2x90, 2x120 (95% walk back) (650m total)
W3: 3x30, 2x70, 1x100, 1x120, 1x150 (all 100% w. full rec) (600m total)
W4 (3 days from comp): Drills, Starts 4x20, MB

I plan on doing all of the runs with full recovery except where noted. For the purposes of her technical development, this is not set in stone and session would vary given her levels of fatigue/readiness to train.

We would also do some Med Ball work given adequate recovery after the Tues/Thurs session. She is also doing a core routine 2-3xweek on her tempo days. Could we put the med ball stuff on her tempo days or would this interfere with her recovery between sessions? (this would be for time purposes)

Where competition is not available, I would do a special endurance session e.g. starts, 2x200m @ 95%, full rec., for conditioning purposes

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. My major query is the volumes of the Thursday session, which, when I did this rough plan, was way up in the 680m range. Is this too much volume for a female athlete of this age, or is it OK because they are not running as fast/stressing their CNS as much? I have read that female athletes need more conditioning in the form of SE runs due to the longer duration of their races, and can tolerate them a bit better than male athletes.

Well what kind of med-ball work are we talking bout? As far as the volume i think its fine, if all comps are on Sundays’. but the thing you said about more SE work for women doesnt sound like a valid point since the duration of their races is relative to their abilty not so much as sex although they are interconnected (do you follow?).

Ah yes I see your point. I had thought as much but thought it’d be worth asking anyway.

Med Ball work:

Start throws: x5 (part of warm up drills)

After session:

Push Pass x5
Backwards throws (overhead): x5
Single Hop throws x5
Vertical Throws x5

The athletes would do this as a group thus allowing them to have a short break in between reps

The comps are actually on Saturday afternoon (still allowing 48 hours recovery), but perhaps I decrease the volume of the Thursday session slightly to ensure that she is fresh on the day. We’re treating the meets as a training session as they are very laid back, but at the same time, she won’t wanna go home with a crap time.

Thanks for the feedback

No i don’t see that routine being particularly taxing on the CNS and one could incert that into the tempo days, I too have similar med-ball work on my peoples tempo days. And in the case of you useing the meets for special endurance is great, it should play nicely into the system you have set up. But to be honest it looks like you won’t really haveto scale back them Thursdays unless the athlete shows wear, etc.

No worries. I think the thing to be careful of with athletes this age is the additional CNS stress incurred via schooling, as they often don’t quite get enough sleep and have to contend with stress from tests/exams etc plus the odd middle school drama that can knock them around emotionally. that said, it’s a coach’s job to keep an eye on these things. thanks for the advice

no problem, u seem to havea grip on it all, keep up the good work, keep me informed, etc.