USATF Level 1 Berkely

I don’t plan on coaching until next thanksgiving, I’ve got other things that are eating up my free time. But I want to get working with youth-high school athletes starting after thanksgiving. I want to do an internship but I have a bit until I graduate.

I had a few questions about the USATF coaching certification program. I don’t know if it’s been discussed at length in the forums and if I should go digging.

What would the certification mean if I had it? What good is it going to do me to have it?

Any advice you can give me as a young’n with a desire to get into coaching would be great.

Level 1 is a great place to start if you’ve never coached. Keep in mind that it is very general as it is designed to give a little bit of knowledge about all the events. Much of what you learn is dependent on the quality of the instructor, and this does vary, some may say wildly. Since you’ve been on this board for a while, you may find yourself at odds with some of what is presented, especially in the sprint/hurdle section.

In terms of what it will get you. The answer is basically nothing beyond a good overview of the sport. It’s possible that a principal or A.D. at a high school may appreciate it, but I doubt it.

Hope that I answered your question.

I have level 2 jumps & sprints and the main benefit I have received from it is meeting great people at the seminars. It hasn’t helped me at all just because it’s on my resume though (and believe me, I have tried to put it to use there).

Hurrrmmm… Oh well. Here’s to hoping I spent my $125 on something I’ll at the least enjoy. :smiley:

Level 1 is 22 hours of lecture over three days. Boring and basic, but when you get the instructors off the script, it has rewarding and interesting moments.

L1 is basic (perhaps “boring” to those with advanced knowledge)

L2 is weighted towards sports science with event specific being perhaps 1/3rd of the full course. Some object after taking L2 when they find that it was less about event area specific info.

L2 is underappreciated as the science behind what takes place on and off the track is ignored by far too many. Just stand along the fence at most meets and listen to the crazy stuff being yelled out to athletes.

Also, you have to take L1 to be allowed to take L2

If anyone truely believes that they are above the need for L2, you can take any L3 you want without having an L2 certificate (unlike needing L1 to take L2) But doing this will not lead to an L3 certification, its more like “auditing” a class.

L3 last year (Chicago) was graced by presentations from Franz Bosch. Like him (agree with him) or not, the presentations got alot of people thinking.

Check the NCAA Online’s job postings for examples where colleges require Coaches Ed certification or it would help. A current posting for a U of Iowa coaching position sites Coaches Ed as a job requirement.

Ash, sorry it hasnt helped at your place. We all know there are even more unlightened AD’s than there are under educated track coaches…

I think USATF “certifications” are a good thing (great networking opportunity) but they will never hold much weight because you pass with flying colors simply by showing up.

I was at Level 3 last year in Chicago and found it disappointing. I was not impressed with Bosch’s practical applications of his theories at all. His “what happens” is good but his “how to train it” ia out in left field.

Day One:

We didn’t talk about: Sprints, Jumps, Hurdles, Distance, or anything else I really would’ve liked to learn more about. We had a great throws coach explain the shot/disc in more detail than I knew about previously, but I could tell it was pretty basic. The lectures on sport psych was LACKING, I got a c+ in my sports psych class and they didn’t include any of the real useful information. The biomechanics, and physiology stuff was beyond basic. But even worse, the lecturers skimmed over key details with the physiological processes. :mad:

Basically, all I’ve learned so far is that i probably could’ve thrown 140~ in the disc, and that my HS coach tops any of the instructors (except the throws prof) who’s name eludes me.

I’m tired, gosh. I have to be up early tomorrow again! (I hate bay traffic as well)

/endrant

(And if anyone wants to buy me a copy of Daniel’s Running Formula, to go next to my copy of CFTS, It was my birthday thursday.)

Day Two:

We began with the distance events, and I was exceptionally unimpressed. The sprints portion made me want to cut myself, and if I knew anything about hurdles, I’d probably feel the same way about that presentation.

however, I did learn some valuable tid-bits. And I’ll record them for posterity.

1. Racewalking under-18 is not competitive at all. Want so send a kid to Pan-am games? Racewalk.

2. Just because you’re Cheif exec of Pac Assoc, and a head coach doesn’t mean you know a whole lot. Dave Shrock is kind of a one-trick pony. Sure he’s be a good coach, but I would go crazy working with him.

3. Working with little’uns is fun. Very fun.

4. The western roll isn’t taught enough, and it works pretty well. We need to teach our high-jumpers a variety of jumps.

5. Bill Godina is a genius coach. The old guy just demonstrating the proper hand technique for the discuss tossed +100 feet.

6. Message therapists need to to externships for a few hours/week.

7. The rules for relays and shot/disc are complicated as all get out. Knowing the rules will give you a competitive advantage.

Edit: 8. The Cal girls are innapropriately attractive >_<

It’s always the same but then you have more knowledge than most. Level 1 has to be simple because most people on it may never have coached or even thought about athletics before.