Usain Bolt, wjr 19.93 - Carifta - 11April04 -

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20040412/sports/sports2.html

FOLLOWING his World Junior record-breaking run at the CARIFTA Games in Bermuda yesterday, Jamaica’s teenage sprint sensation Usain ‘Lightning’ Bolt has set his sights on Donald Quarrie’s national 200m record.

“That was my main goal for the year, to run under 20-point and I’ve got it early,” Bolt told reporters after his victory.

“So I think I have to get a next goal which is to break the national record (19.86), so I’ll be working on that for the Olympics,” added Bolt, who had shared the World Junior record of 20.13 with American Roy Bailey before yesterday’s run.

In setting the new world junior mark of 19.93 Bolt, the national 200m champion, also secured a world leading time.

“I’ve been working hard and I guess it paid off,” added Bolt, the World Junior, World Youth and Pan American Junior Championships gold medallist.

BEST RUN

Leacroft Bolt, head coach of Jamaica’s team to the championships, said it is the best run he has seen and credited Usain’s personal coach Fitz Coleman.

“This is the best run I have ever seen in my whole life, with natural eyes,” an overjoyed Leacroft, who is unrelated to Usain, told The Gleaner. "Based on the time and the ease the youngster ran it with.

“I have to congratulate Coleman his coach for strengthening him up. He is stronger now with the 400m base and more co-ordinated,” the coach added.

“He was very comfortable, he won in 19.93 and the next person behind did 21.07. He actually stopped running in the last 20-30 metres, he could have run 19.7.”

FOLLOWING :smiley: REPORT COURTESY OF IAAF WEBSITE

Bolt dashes to 19.93 - World Junior 200m record!
Monday 12 April 2004
Those present yesterday at the last day of the Annual Carifta Games in the national stadium in Hamilton, Bermuda on Easter Sunday afternoon (11 April) were treated to a bolt of lightening. 17 year-old Usian Bolt of Jamaica, the World Junior and Youth champion flashed to a new World Junior record for 200m of 19.93 seconds!

Bolt had tied the former World record of 20.13sec at the Pan Am Junior Championships in Bridgetown, Barbados on 20 July last year. The co-World record holder being USA’s Roy Martin who had run that same time back in 1985.

On a chilly Easter Sunday afternoon Bolt smashed that jointly held record by .20 of a second, finishing in 19.93, which was also the fastest time in the world this year. The wind reading was 1.4 metres per second.

Bolt ran out of lane five, finishing more than a second ahead of the field. Daniel Bailey of Antigua and Barbuda finished in second place with a time of 21.07. Jamaican Nestar Carter won the bronze in 21.10.

Usain Bolt of Jamaica winning the 200m final
(Getty Images)

Bolt won the World Junior Championships in Kingston in 2002 at the tender age of fifteen and will be eighteen on 21 August of this year during the Athens Olympics.

Bermuda last hosted the Carifta Games in 1980 and the athletes, officials, and fans from abroad enjoyed the competition, the organization of the meet, and the friendliness of the Bermudan people.

Jamaica dominated once again, as they have since 1985. Their medal total was 79, above the previous record total of 74. They had thirty-seven gold, twenty-three silver, and nineteen bronze.

Barbados had five gold, two silver, and four bronze for a total of eleven. Trinidad and Tobago, last year’s host had four gold, seven silver, and eleven bronze, for a total of twenty-two. Bermuda, the host country had four gold, two silver, and three bronze, for a total of nine medals. The Bahamas had three gold, seven silvers, and eleven bronze for a total of twenty-one.

The weather in Bermuda, the northernmost member of the Carifta family was cool the entire weekend.

Bolt’s record run was the first time that a World Junior Record had been established at the Carifta Games.

The next Carifta Games is scheduled for Easter 2005 in Grenada.

:smiley:
Talented Bolt a class of his own
Posted Sunday April 11, 2004

JAMAICA’S Usain Bolt confirmed his status as the most talented junior sprinter in the world by setting a new world record while taking a 200-meter gold at the Carifta games in Bermuda Sunday afternoon. Bolt won in 19.93 seconds, bettering his own world junior mark of 20.13 seconds he set last year.

It was a blistering run by the young Jamaican – the magic moments the cheering crowd here came to see on the final day of the games where his compatriots dominated once again.

But everything paled in comparison once Bolt, the star attraction of the games, take to the track.

For the moment they left off the blocks, the result was never in doubt – the only question was as to the time.

Sunday’s 19.93 run is also the new CARIFTA games record, erasing the old mark of 20.43 he set himself last year in Trinidad.

Antigua’s Daniel Bailey with 21.07 second was second – but the distance between him and Bolt proved the Jamaican’s obvious world class.

Bailey had gone faster than he ever did – and yet he looked as an also ran.

Jamaica’s Nestar Carter took the bronze in 21.10 seconds.

And once again Bahamian Grafton Ifill had to leave with his heart broken, finishing fourth and without a medal in the event.

But his final run at these games will be with the satisfaction that he came up against a rare-of-a-kind world class athlete.

And nobody else on the planet could have touched Bolt in under 20 seconds of magic that made history.

THE FOLLOWING IS A REPORT from the trials for the Carifta Games.

Bolt sparkles again

Sunday, March 14, 2004

EASY DOES IT: World Junior Champion, Usain Bolt (right) runs out an easy winner of the Under-20 200 metres final in 20.78 seconds at yesterday’s Puma CARIFTA Trials at the GC Foster College in St Catherine. At left is Andre Wellington of Kingston College, who finished fourth in 21.61. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
Prodigious Usain Bolt, representing the IAAF High Performance Centre, showed every lucky spectator and unfortunate rival that he is indeed ‘the big man’, in the 200 metres Under-20 final of the Puma Carifta Trials at GC Foster College yesterday, posting a fast 20.78 seconds in what seemed a stroll through the park.

The lanky speedster, who is not expected to be seriously challenged at the Carifta Games in Bermuda next month, told the Observer that he has a positive feeling about his current form. “I am happy with the way I ran,” said Bolt. “I will be starting speedwork soon. I felt comfortable, but didn’t want to push too much. I should be OK when the Carifta Games come along.”

Michael ‘Silverado’ Gardner of Norman Manley High led what seemed to be another race behind Bolt, finishing second in 21.39, with Nesta Carter of Manchester High, third in 21.56, and Andre Wellington of Kingston College, fourth in 21.61.

Wow, that is amazing. Wish I could have seen it.