Usain Bolt Is Talk Of Bridgetown

Bolt the toast of Barbados
published: Tuesday | July 22, 2003

By Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

BRIDGETOWN; Barbados:

JAMAICA’S TEEN sensation Usain ‘lightning’ Bolt still remains the talk of the town in Bridgetown, Barbados after his spectacular 200m Pan American Junior Athletic Championships record breaking run on Sunday.

Yesterday, the Nation newspaper and several electronic media of Barbados were reporting Bolt’s amazing 200m run, a world record by the 16-year-old Jamaican. His time of 20.13 equalled the world junior record of USA’s Roy Martin, set in 1985 and also broke his own world youth record of 20.25 set at April’s Boys and Girls Championships in Kingston.

READY, SET, BOLT!

“Ready, set, Bolt!” was how the Barbados Nation headlined its report. The report went on to say, “Barbados was struck by an amazing lightning bolt last night (Sunday)”

Earlier, when the Jamaican crossed the line, the clock stopped at 19.94 seconds. It was however, adjusted to 20.14, before checks brought it to 20.13, level with the world junior record.

“When I saw the clock at 19.94 seconds I was very surprised, I could not believe (that) I ran so fast,” the William Knibb student told journalists. “My objective was to lower my personal best (20.25), and I did just that, so I am very happy,” he added.

The impressive mark was also a new Pan American Junior record, this erasing the old mark of 20.39 set in 1982 by Clinton Davis of USA.

Bolt, who returned home on Monday, said he cannot predict anything for the upcoming (senior) World Championships. "I have not yet looked at the senior times, but I think this run has put me in a good position.

However, after pulling out of the 400m at the World Youth Championships a week ago, Bolt said he will not concentrate on the one lap event just now.

"I am not looking forward to the 400m right now, I am just concentrating on my 200m.

“If my coach decides that I should do it next year I will do it, but I am not looking down that track now,” Bolt, who also helped Jamaica to a silver medal in the 4x100m relay said.

:slight_smile:

this kids in a class of his own…
i cant wait to see what he runs when he is finaly pushed at sr.worlds. My guess is if he can stay fresh for the finals he will drop 20.02.

Any predictions?

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
[b]this kids in a class of his own…
i cant wait to see what he runs when he is finaly pushed at sr.worlds. My guess is if he can stay fresh for the finals he will drop 20.02.

Any predictions? [/b]

NAH, YOU’RE WAY OFF - THE SMARTMONEY IS ON 20.01