Usain Bolt.... 9.76

It’s a wee bit above 6’5 if the 196 is accurate.

Yes, quite likely. And those conversion charts are often problematic. I wonder if a tall guy like Bolt would benefit more from a tailwind than a shortarse.:confused:

I believe it depends on strength, but I’m not sure. I think that the stronger an athlete, the less the wind will affect them, so that a tailwind will have the most benefit to a weak runner, and the most impairment to a weak runner.

Bolt is pretty narrow when viewed from the front, and he doesn’t have the large cross-sectional area that some tall athletes might have.

A news article was recently published by Conway Hill, in which he questions the timing accuracy of the Bolt race, mainly due to the electronic timer displaying showing 9.97.

He also questions Powell’s 9.74/9.78, and Gatlin’s 9.77 for timing issues or incorrect wind gauge readings. At the end he asks about track length as well.

He doesn’t go as far as to say they are wrong, but voices suspicion. Ramblings of a lunatic, or could he be on to something? Based on the winning margins of these races, the times seem legit to me.

It’s not that early kk.

I remember Carl in '84 recording a 9.99 on 6th May, followed by a nonchalant 10.06 on 17th June into a massive headwind. The 9.99 was easily replicated on 4th August at the Games.

I’m 196cm tall, and weigh around 81 kg and I can tell you from personal experience that the wind affects the way my running feels so much. I’m a 400m guy though, but still, a tailwind in the backstraight makes the rep (at least seem) so much easier. I don’t think it affects speed work as much as tempo though. With speed work it’s always really fast anyway, so maybe Bolt wouldn’t feel a wind in the 100m as much as he may in the 200m? Not sure. We should ask him. Haha.

Conway never questioned Gatlins time… (as far as i’m aware…)
But there where a few peeps @ sprintzone questioning the timing from Doha (including myself) And when i saw Bolt’s race the first thing that struck my mind was Doha… Did you ever paid a visit @ sprintzone LOL…

He also questions Powell’s 9.74/9.78, and Gatlin’s 9.77 for timing issues or incorrect wind gauge readings. At the end he asks about track length as well.

Has this guy ever questioned 2nd and 3rd place getters in those three/four races? Were their times questionable?

I do not think so. I rest my case.

What’s Olu’s second quickest time? Also look at how much quicker Darren Campbell ran at Doha than he did the rest of the year. No disrespect intended to PJ, but there were a couple of unusually quick times when Gatlin posted 9.77, not to mention it stood at 9.76 for a day or two!!

It’s not hard to re-time races using video. Especially if you’re barking about 9.97 vs 9.76:rolleyes: You video tape the flash from the gun, then video tape the finish. Not rocket science. That would mitigate the multitude of timing fuck ups I see at the lower levels. I often wonder if these errors occur at the highest levels. I suspect that they do. If not, there’s always the old reliable standing in front of the wind gauge or putting it backwards.

Ooh - I like the backwards wind gauge idea :slight_smile:

And just to clarify, I’m not supporting what the article says; I thought it would be interesting to discuss the possibility of timing inaccuracy at the highest level of competition.

Has he done it in 41.5 strides or was it too quick for me to count it right?

:confused:

Serious?? I’m gonna have to take a closer look at that!

almost identical to gatlin 9.77 at 100m mark, 42 strides(counting one stride as knee is rising and blocking). The distribution of strides within the run is a bit different with gatlin at 28 strides at 60m mark and bolt at 29 strides.

Powell07run 9.74w1.7 - hits 60m at approximately 29.5-30 strides; approximately 14-14.5 strides over final 40m coasting at around 85-90 metres.

Bolt08run 9.76w1.8 - hit 60m at approximately 29 strides; approximately :smiley: 13 strides:D over final 40m coasting at around 90-95 metres

Gatlin06run 9.77w1.7 - hit 60m at approximately 28 strides; approximately 14 strides over final 40m apparently all-out to 100 metres.

Gay07run 9.76w2.2 - hit 60m at approximately 29 strides; approximately 16 strides over final 40m apparently all-out to 100 metres.

Didn’t use any software for these approximations, but just by the eyeball and pausing videos. PierreJean could definitely give more accurate detailed final 40m stride counts.

wonder if anyone has some approximate splits of Bolt at 60m mark(believe they have a 60m line at JA national stadium for the specific reason of recording splits-however am just assuming) I’d estimate by the stride distribution of his 9.76 run that he split around 6.35-6.40 range.

just realized that line i used to analyze that bolt stride at 60m is the wrong line. Their is a fainter line about 2.5m before the clearer one. Bolt hit this one at 28 strides which is the right one. This would make this stride distribution on par with the 9.72 run where he hits 60m at 28 as well.