Update on my current training

4/4 Saturday

Didn’t have access to track today, so I did a few plyometrics, got a lift in.

Mon 4/6
Touchpad broke. So had to use just the sticks. One was 5 steps away from starting line, other was 5 away from finish line. Can’t make it any faster than 0.10 still I would think.
Anyhow, 2x20, 2.87 & 2.80
2x30 4.00, 3.97
4x40 5.03 best time
2x50NT, stick needs batteries
Legitimately, still PR’s if you still add a full tenth for pad-to-stick error. 2.90, 4.07, and 5.13

Not sure how ready I am for a meet Saturday, but should be a bit faster than last year’s opener I think (12.02)
Also unsure if I should do my 2x3x80 SE (would have 72 hours before meet) or just stick with a low volume accel session

Tues 4/7

1600m tempo

Wed 4/8

2x3x80 9.94, 9.91, 9.84, 9.73, 9.84, 9.94

Thurs 4/9 tempo 1200m

Fri 4/10

Pre-meet session: did a few strides, and took a few steps out of the blocks, felt like I should especially with my recent changes in starting technique. Hoping I get a decent wind tomorrow lol

Sat 4/11

Meet: I seeded myself at 11.80, ran 11.79 lol. 2nd in my heat, winner was 11.77. At least I ran it faster than last years. As expected, I got ahead of everyone by 40m, and then they started to catch up. I just don’t have the break away speed right now but I feel like my acceleration is better than ever. Last year, I had a 3% decrease in my times from comp1 to comp2, hopefully I can get something like that again. The next meet has a fast track too. At any rate, the meet I just ran in is usually slow, as when I opened up my PR year in 2012, I ran 11.58 at this meet. So it could be worse. But weather was about 50F, 10celsius. I just really needed to get this one out of my system though. I know I need to work on the right side of the curve more now, obviously I need my break-away speed to improve, so flys seem to be in order for Monday’s session, accompanied by accels up to 60m I’m thinking. Other than that, now that races are SE, I am thinking about taking out the 2x3x80 splits and now work on speed endurance, so what are your thoughts on doing something like 4x120’s with full recovery?

Anyone have any better ideas on how to attack the speed endurance portion in the comp phase?

Brett,
That is very cold conditions to run a competition. The good news is that you might expect to be running faster at this point, had the weather been " normal " for competition season. I suspect this is obvious but it never hurts to point out what some don’t realize.

What was the wind like?

no indicator :confused: but I can say there was hardly any wind. just cold, as Ohio always is ha

Oh yeah haha, typical Ohio weather unfortunately. Right now this Saturday looks about about 10 degrees F warmer, so about 16 celsius, but may rain ha…

Next meet is always fast too even if it is cold, a fast outdoor mondo.

Sun 4/12

1200m tempo

Mon 4/13

It was about 75 degrees F, about 24 celsius today. Awesome weather, great day.

3x20 flys on grass, felt fast
3x20 easy accels
3x50 6.21, 6.15, 6.18

Trying to figure out what to do on Wednesday

Tues 4/14 - 1500m tempo

Wed 4/15 - speed endurance - 5x60 fly on grass

Brett,

Read through the archives carefully using Google search, or purchase Key Concepts Elite Edition. These topics have been covered in the forum very deeply with comments from Charlie and many others. Key Concepts is something that you can refer back to forever. I never stop re-reading Charlie’s materials, as the more you learn, the more subtleties unveil themselves and the more you can gain from the material.

In the competition phase, the races are your speed endurance. Anything extra is only going to impair your race performance in all likelihood.

T

Thurs 4/16 1400m tempo

I will, thanks T

I don’t know if I can remember enough detail from 5 years ago that you can look this up, but there was a thread started by Gerald Phiri (G-force on here) asking about some of this. Charlie said, as mentioned above, that in comp SE comes in races (which might be 100+200 if there aren’t qualifying heats), and everything else is sub-max. Charlie mentioned doing things like 2X150 sub-max mid week, and you might only have another session of starts, which are also sub-max.

You have to deal with the fact that there are fiber conversions, and work on the track and/or in the weight room causes a conversion of II b/x => IIa, and the way you reverse this is mostly a lot of rest, meaning maintenance in weights and sub-max on the track in everything except races (not just SE or special endurance).