Update: 5 months post op (Hip Impingement)

Hey,
A while ago I posted a thread about hip pain, and how I was going to get arthroscopic surgery on it. The goals were to clean up labral tears, and to shave the bone(impingement). Only the debridement was achieved.

After 4 weeks I was driving again, and around 6-8 weeks I was doing physical therapy. I started to feel pain again…but pushed through it.

After 3 months I realized I still have pain and stiffness in the hip, and it’s probably not going to get better. The clicking/grinding I felt when internally rotating my hip is gone, but there are a couple motions now where I feel light contact inside my hip.

It was also around this time that I went sledding down a snowy hill, and caused a really sharp pain in the hip. The aftermath of this day either ruined the results of my surgery, or had little to do with what I’m feeling now

I tried to pick up running again, but whatever I did from the sledding caused very sharp pain near the glutes. I saw my surgeon about this, and we scheduled another MRI but he told me to just keep going, I’m free of restrictions, but back off when pain gets bad.

So I kept running, and it took over a month for the pain to subside…or at least that’s what I think

I took to sprinting again around 4 months post-op, and the pain near the glute seems to have gone away, but taking its place is a new pain anterior-wise of the hip…also sharp. I believe I felt the instance that caused this pain…doing tempo runs with a deep start and I felt a sharp pain where the impingement is.

I didn’t stop sprinting, and I feel about as fast as I ever have felt. In some ways, my hip feels worse. I have to be conscious not to put it in deep flexion/internal rotation. In other ways its better, because a lot of the dull achey pain is gone, and the clicking is gone.

However, my left hip also has pain now. I figure it’s also impinged, even though basic MRIs havent shown impingement. There isn’t clicking with internal rotation, but there is some with deep external rotation. Perhaps a different type/location of impingement?

Pre-surgery, I was experiencing too much pain to sprint. Post-surgery, I still have decent pain but not nearly as much.

I have bilateral hip pain now, so is sprinting even worth it anymore? I can’t see myself without it, and I just keep pushing through it now. I play it as smart as I can now. Keep volume low, and intensity high. It just doesn’t seem to satisfy me as much anymore. If I don’t warm up(just in general…not saying for a workout, but like if I wanted to run across the street), my body doesn’t feel nearly as willing to perform.

Maybe there’s a way to open up the hip joint capsule to reduce the impingement?

And off the record…maybe 1 IU HGH dailycould help to a degree? (I’m 20 yrs old btw)

Update:

Have been doing block sprints recently. Feeling very fast, and hip pain seems to be doing alright. Doesn’t hurt when I sprint, and the anterior-wise hip pain that I described in my previous post seems to have subsided. I occassionally get the sharp posterior hip/glute pain during the first couple tempo runs, but this may indicate that I need a better warm up.

Can anybody answer these two questions for me?

Maybe there’s a way to open up the hip joint capsule to reduce the impingement?

And off the record…maybe 1 IU HGH dailycould help to a degree? (I’m 20 yrs old btw)