UK Ch: Devonish double

Devonish wraps up sprint double

Devonish won both sprints but will now focus on the 100m
Marlon Devonish defended both his sprint titles as he battled to add the 200m to his 100m crown at the UK Championships and World Trials.

The 31-year-old ran a poor bend but recovered on the home straight to win in 20.79 seconds in Manchester.

“I was grimacing out of the turn but came back at the guys,” said Devonish, who plans to focus on 100m in Japan.

European junior champion Alex Nelson settled for second while youngster Luke Fagan hit a personal best in third.

Highlights: Athletics World Trials - Sunday

Devonish became the first sprinter since Emmanuel McDonald-Bailey in 1953 to successfully defend both sprint titles. :cool:

Jeannette Kwakye wrapped up the women’s sprint double, adding the 200m title with victory in 23.66.

Both Kwakye’s victories fell short of the required qualifying times for the Worlds so she will have to wait for the discretion of the selectors.

Mo Farah left the field trailing as he ran a solo race to stroll to the 5,000m title in Manchester in 13 minutes 40.19 seconds.

“I want to get to the Worlds as I’ve never been before,” said Farah, who dazzled the crowd by wearing one knee-high black sock and one white one.

I find it harder to get up for individual events rather than the heptathlon as the adrenalin isn’t there

Kelly Sotherton

It was a similar story in the women’s 5,000m as Jo Pavey, who plans to contest the 10,000m in Japan, ran her own race to notch up an easy win in 15:17.77.

Andy Baddeley, another athlete hopeful of fulfilling his potential at his first Worlds, collected a dominant 1500m victory in 3:43.25.

The in-form Andy Steele edged out Martyn Rooney to win his first UK 400m title in 45.70.

He said afterwards: “I’m glad to get rid of those demons and hopefully that helps on the road to Osaka.”

Jemma Simpson led from start to finish to take the 800m title in 2:00.91 as rivals Marilyn Okoro and Jenny Meadows failed, despite their best efforts, to close her down.

Heptathlete Kelly Sotherton produced a season’s best to claim the long jump with a leap of 6.53m from Jade Johnson.

“It was a good competition and my rivalry with Jade makes it even more exciting,” Sotherton said.

"I find it harder to get up for individual events rather than the heptathlon as the adrenalin isn’t there.

“But I still really wanted to win this event again and make it three UK titles.”

Farah ran a solo race to claim the 5,000m in a season’s best

Sotherton landed her winning leap at her first attempt and will be pleased to keep up with rising heptathlon rival Jessica Ennis, who won the 100m hurdles and high jump on Saturday.

Tasha Danvers-Smith, who has already qualified for the Worlds in Japan, defended her 400m hurdles title.

Danvers-Smith ran smoothly to win in 55.43 ahead of a rather untidy Lee McConnell, who must wait to see if she will go to Osaka.

Helen Clitheroe continued to progress in her debut season over the 3,000m steeplechase, achieving the ‘B’ standard as she took the title in nine minutes 47.49 seconds.

“It’s only my fifth steeplechase and I just hope the selectors see me as a developing athlete in this event,” Clitheroe said.

Phillips Idowu pulled out of the triple jump, eventually won by Tosin Oke with a mark of 16.59m, after his opening jump because of a back problem.

“I didn’t feel comfortable, my left side seized up and so I decided to pull out,” said the 28-year-old, who already has the qualifying mark for Osaka.

“I’m not in panic mode yet as I have time to get it sorted out.”

Martyn Bernard rose to 2.24m to take the men’s high jump while Eva Massey took the women’s shot with a throw of 16.63m.

Kate Dennison took pole vault gold as she went over at 4.20m while Philippa Roles took discus honours with a best effort of 57.83m.

All four athletes were outside the ‘B’ standard required to book their places at the Worlds.

The world championships are being held in Osaka, Japan from 25 August to 2 September.

The first two athletes home in each event who reach the required qualifying standard will be selected. The selectors can also offer a third place at their discretion.

If an athlete reaches the ‘B’ standard then they will only be chosen if they have the potential to reach a final or if they are up-and-coming athletes who are expected to perform well at future championships.