Tyson is hurt..

Possibly, but he might opt out of any 200s to concentrate on the 100m in Berlin, and, after that, he could decide whether to run the 200m there.
That would be my advice as I think the 100m is his best shot.
Another option might be to use his problem with corners to try to force his way into the 100m in London, which would then force Bolt to either run him when he’s not expecting him (and may have done more work than optimal for this race in prep for Berlin, expecting either a walkover or a loss only to a countryman as in 2008.) or to shift to the 200m and look bad in the process after claiming he’ll run anyone etc. (We already know that’s not true cause he dictated that Gay could not run in Toronto).

Why do you think he said no to racing Gay in toronto?

Cause he’s expected to win and he would only sign to run when he’s not fully ready if he knew it wouldn’t come back to bite him in the ass.
Happens all the time.

Tyson went to the Dr in Munich right after Rome (i can openly tell it because it was mentioned in the press).

This was posted on TFN today by gh, who is one of their reporters and forum moderators. I forget his name, but those are his initials. I believe pretty much everything he reports.

I saw Tyson Gay on the street last night, walking from his hotel door to a taxi… errr, except it didn’t look to me like he was zackly walking. Walking with pain was more like it. Definitely seemed to have a hitch in his getalong. On the other hand, maybe he always walks something like that, and I’ve never stopped to pay attention. But my uninformed take would be that all is not well in Tysonland.

I saw him walk in May and he walked a little bit funy… do not worry! :slight_smile:

Tyson spends a lot of time shaking his leg with his hand at the same point, and his start was not good in heats and quarters. Hope he gets back to default mode by tomorrow.

Yeah his starts were really poor and it looked like he had to expend to much energy trying to catch up.

I have also noticed that when he walks around the track he has a huge sway from side to side, but that just may be the way he walks.

People have commented in the past he looks like a nervous guy but when it comes time to race he performs like the 2007 world champs, lets hope he does the same.

Tyson is out of 200m! His groin is bad… :frowning:

USATF is confirming that Tyson is out of the 200 on their Twitter account

That’s too bad. Remember my question about him running a 200 in London. i thought it was a very bad idea. Might actually have cost him a bit in the 100, though doubtfull if it could have made a place difference, but, for sure when you have a issue that will be aggrivated by as turn, stay away till after the 100 and then you can decide what to do from there. It would still leave him deciding what to do because the 200 would cost vs the relay.

Why some athletes do these stupid things? Coaches? Managers? Themselves? Money?..

It’s easy to see mistakes in hindsight.

Yes, you are right! :cool:

Berlin, Germany - Defending World champion Tyson Gay will not compete in the 200m at the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics and instead will focus on preparing for a possible appearance in Team USA’s 4x100m relay.

Competing all season with an injured groin, Gay ran an American record 9.71 seconds in Sunday night’s final of the men’s 100 meters to win the silver medal. The effort took enough of a toll on Gay that he decided resting would better serve the interests of Team USA and himself.

“Rather than risk further injury, I’ve decided that I will not compete in tomorrow’s first round of the 200m,” Gay said Monday night. “I would like to be a part of Team USA’s 4x100m and believe this decision will give me the best chance to be ready for the relay. I want to help our relay as best I can.”

Team USA will determine its first-round relay lineup after the men’s 200m final on August 20. The first round of the relay is on Friday, August 21, with the final on Saturday, August 22.

For more information on Team USA at the World Championships, visit www.usatf.org

He probably felt a strong sense of commitment to his contract there and let wishful thinking get the better of him. This is often the case with these top athletes and that’s why the coach/manager may have to step in.

that would be E. Garry Hill, he owns T&FN

The best thing would be time travel then you can see your mistakes before they happen :wink:

Thanks! I did not know he was the owner.

Looks like Tyson isnt the only one with groin problems

Asafa doubtful for relays

BERLIN (JIS) – Jamaica’s Men’s 4×100 metres gold medal relay chances might have suffered a severe blow, as 100 Metres bronze medallist Asafa Powell may not be able to compete in the event. MVP boss Stephen Francis told JIS News that the sprinter is still feeling pain from the groin strain he suffered during yesterday’s semi finals of the men’s 100 metres.

“At this point I am not sure that Asafa will be able to run the relays. He is definitely out for the heats and I am not sure about the final,” Francis said.

He said the injury will take about 10 days to heal. If Powell were to be unavailable to run in the final, the Jamaican team management would be in a precarious position with not enough front line sprinters available to field a strong team.

Francis said the sprinter was still in discomfort. “He is still feeling pain and we will have to watch the situation closely. He will definitely not be risked in the heats and we will have to wait for the final and see how much progress he would have made towards healing.”

Asafa Powell anchored Jamaica’s 4×100 men’s relay team to a world record run of 37.10 seconds at the Olympic Games in Beijing last year.

His withdrawal would be detrimental to Jamaica’s chances given the absence of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake and Marvin Anderson from the championships.