Tyson Gay 9.78 -0.4m/s WL

Dix pulled up, definitely did not look like it was an injury to me! He was getting destroyed by Gay in the lane next to him so just gave up.

Sooooo many athletes injured or banged up, suspended or simply M.I.A. I wonder if it’s hurting the Diamond League in any way.

Sanya Richards
Shelly-Ann Fraiser
Kerron Stewart
Lauryn Williams
Muna Lee
Dawn Harper
Usain
Asafa
Now maybe Dix and Tyson
Jeremy W
LaShawn Merrit
Robles
Liu
K.Clement

Hell, did I miss anyone!?!

LOL…

On a serious note i have to disagree… That runningstyle of his isn’t helping him. Like i read on another forum when’s he’s running it’s like he’s carrying a football.

I forgot who said it but I guess it’s true, sprinting is not natural. Anyway, that was a good race by Gay, and from what I saw, Gay had a little quirk in his race at the 40m area, I guess he was not use to getting such a good start.

sprinting not natural…so neither is walking then! as humans we have been running to max speed for centuries whether its catching prey or not but one thing for sure is that the speeds that the top guys are going at nowadays are breath taking

Humans could never catch African prey without ambush. No one was ever running down antelope in the plains. Persistence running and being able to use weapons however, probably provided a fitness advantage for endurance running and big brains.

I respectfully disagree. Going back to prehistoric times, humans have been hunting with spears, knives, and blow pipes and such, we can find archaeological evidence to support this.

I say, running at max speed for 100+ meters is a relativity new undertaking for the human body apposed to walking for miles (i.e., Asiatics migration from Siberia to North America who later on became the Native Americans), jogging for miles (Mayan mail runners) and hunting in groups to utilize the ambush technique as highjumper10 pointed out.

Not long ago there was a documentary about the fastest speed people have run and in Australia somewhere there are fossilised footprints. It was presented that a native was running at a rate faster than Usain Bolt. It was also pointed out that the fossilised footprints were first left in a swamp which later dried up. It was not a case of 1 or 2 footprints, they were over a reasonable distance and it was presumed the native was not at max speed because he/she was running through a swamp.

And this was determined by studying fossilized footprints?:confused:

I will say this, I would like to see a 100m race between all the various homo sapien offshoots.

So called “scientists”, some years ago managed to affirm that , analyzing DNA evolution, man was 1.500.000 years old…women 500.000…something is missing???

Adam and Evan

Gay ran really well in that race. I wish I would be able to get so relaxed in 100m race…

Mate I could not be bothered wasting my time looking for anyones footprints. I did a quick google and found this one estimated at 37km/hour. Under 10s.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1729768.htm.

37km/hr is not under 10sec. It is girl speed. How the heck can you calculate 37km/hr from a fossil footprint anyway?

You can’t, but no matter. I am curious as to what Shaq’s stride length is :).

Occasionally after a 100m or 200m race you’ll see the average speed shown, which is almost always less than 37km/hr. Perhaps these scientists that deduced a 37km/hr running speed were not clever enough to realize that one cannot go from 0 to 37km/hr in zero time.

The following races have been more than 37km/hr average.:

9.58 Bolt
9.69 Gay
9.69 Bolt
9.71 Gay
9.72 Bolt
9.72 Powell

19.19 Bolt
19.30 Bolt
19.32 Johnson.

Wanted to come back to this, when I said sprinting is not natural, I think my statement was blown out of context. What I meant was that sprinting seems to be some kind of emergency function that is to be utilized to escape from some kind danger and it’s only in modern times that we have made a sport out of the use of this emergency function. However, just taking a cursory view, the human body was not designed to survive from sprinting alone as you see with the cheetah. If that were the case humans would be much faster over all, and I would imagine that tendons, energy systems, and so forth, would be much more highly developed on average.

37km/hour = 10.2777meteres per second.

In 10 seconds you will cover 102meters.

You were wrong in part one 37km/hr is under 10s.

Read rainy’s post.

I did and replied to mortac8, girls speed he called it.