TYSON GAY 9.77 EASING UP 3M/ Travis padgett 9.89

Tyson gay just ran 9.77 in the quaterfinals easing up. Jeffrey demps 10.01, walter dix 10.02

Travis padgett 9.89, broke the collegiate record

Just say this on TV.
Ok, whats the wind on Gay’s run?

CAN WE STOP WITH ALL THE DOUBLE POST, POST ALL USA STUFF UNDER “RACE REPORT” - OL TRAILS.

nt sure, but 9.89 for travis padgett is WAYYY more suprising

By Jim Slater
EUGENE, Oregon, June 28 AFP - Tyson Gay served notice to Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell that he is a world-record threat, becoming the third-fastest runner in 100-metre history here Saturday even after slowing before the finish.

World 100 and 200 champion Gay set an American record of 9.77 seconds to win his 100 quarter-final heat at the US Olympic Track and Field Trials in stunning fashion.

He now trails only the Jamaican duo on the all-time performers list.

``I’m not worried about the record,’’ Gay said.

``I eased up a little bit. I had my arms in so I wasn’t trying to exert too much energy.’’

Bolt, whose world-record run of 9.72 beat Gay on May 31 in New York, and Powell, whose 9.74 had been the world record until the lightning Bolt struck, are the only faster 100 performers in history than Gay.

After receiving a wake-up call with an earlier qualifying blunder by slowing too soon, Gay can challenge the world record in Sunday’s final, which will decide the three US qualifiers for the Beijing Olympics.

But for all his sprint skills, Gay must reach the podium Sunday or he will not qualify for a 100 showdown in Beijing with Bolt and Powell, who qualified Saturday at the Jamaican trials.

Gay surged from the starting blocks and sped to a quarter-final victory with a legal wind of 1.6m/sec to break the old US mark of 9.79 set by Maurice Greene at Athens in 1999, what was then a world record.

``I thank God that I was able to run a PR, but that’s what I want to do in the finals,’’ Gay said.

Gay eased up 20 meters before the finish in his qualifying heat and placed fourth, advancing but not without a wake-up call.

``After the first round, I was scared. I almost started crying as soon as I crossed the line because I thought I didn’t make it. I was pretty nervous,’’ Gay said.

Gay’s run overshadowed the women’s 100 final, which went to Muna Lee in 10.85 with 2003 world champion Torri Edwards second in 10.90, the same time as 2005 world champion Lauryn Williams, who took the third and last Beijing berth.

I'm looking forward to Beijing and probably a 1-2-3 US finish,'' Williams said. I don’t think the final there is going to be as intense as what we experienced today.’’

Reigning two-time world 200 champion Allyson Felix finished fifth in 10.96, dooming her bid for a 100-200 double at Beijing although she remains eligible for US relays at Beijing as a trials event finalist.

She is really good. She came into a tough race. You have got to be ready to run the 100,'' Lee said of Felix. I’m really excited to win. I was coming just to make the team.’’

Edwards had the fastest time in the world this year, 10.78, in the semi-finals, making her the eighth-fastest woman in 100 history and helping eliminate Carmelita Jeter, third at last year’s world championships.

Edwards, three years older than her eldest finals rival at 31, missed the 2004 Athens Olympics while serving a two-year doping ban.

She won the 2003 world title when original winner Kelli White was disqualified for doping.
Asked if reaching Beijing was vindication, Edwards said, ``This is an Olympic year. I’m just concentrating on the Olympic year.’’

THIS REPORT COURTESY OF THE IAAF WEBSITE
http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100/newsid=45515.html

Sunday, 29 June 2008 Gay survives first round scare to record 9.77 American record in quarter finals – US Olympic Trials, Day 2

Tyson Gay runs to 9.77 in the men’s 100m quarter-finals during day two of the U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials (Getty Images)

relnewsFountain’s hot run of PBs takes her to a world leading 6667 - US Trials Heptathlon
Eugene, Oregon, USA - Three of the world’s fastest women made the U.S. Olympic 100m team in the U.S. Trials on Saturday (28), but they were upstaged by a gang of men headed by World champion Tyson Gay which made the historic 1968 “Night of Speed” look like Slo-Mo, as PB’s fell like autumn leaves.

Running in the first of three men’s 100m quarter finals, Gay exploded out of the blocks, opened visible daylight in the first 30 metres, and flashed across the finish line in 9.77 seconds for a new American record, the wind being measured at +1.6. Gay broke the former standard of 9.79 set by Maurice Greene in 1999.

Behind him were high schooler Jeffery Demps in 10.01 - an American Junior record which also equals the World mark set by Trinidad’s Darrel Brown in 2003 - Walter Dix, 10.02, and Leroy Dixon, also 10.02.

The second race was won by Clemson University student Travis Patton in 9.89 (+1.6) from Rodney Martin (9.95) and Mark Jelks (9.96); and the third by Darvis “Doc” Patten in 9.89 (again + 1.6), with Ivory Williams (9.94), Xavier Carter (10.00) and John Capel (10.06).

Sixteen men qualified for Sunday’s semi-finals, with an average time of 9.997. Two runners failed to qualify for the semis with 10.09: one of them was Athens gold and silver medallist Shawn Crawford. Whoever heard of such a thing!

Said Gay, who in his first-round heat mistook the finish line, eased up and qualified only fourth, “After the first round, I was scared. I almost started crying as soon as I crossed the line because I thought I didn’t make it. I was pretty nervous, but this round I ran through the line. I eased up a little bit. I had my arms in here so I wasn’t trying to exert too much energy."

Lee prevails in 10.85

The women’s semi-finals and finals were supposed to supply today’s headlines, and indeed they were hot, with Marshavet Hooker winning the first a windy 10.89, and Torri Edwards scorching a wind-legal 10.78, while Osaka bronze medallist Carmelita Jeter got a terrible start that left her two metres down and ended up fifth in Edwards heat in 11.05, giving her the dubious distinction of owning the fastest time in any qualifying race ever to not make a final.

The final itself was a beauty. With a 1.0 m/s aiding wind, Muna Lee overtook Edwards halfway through the race and pulled away to win in 10.85. Edwards held off Lauryn Williams for second, both in 10.90, and Hooker, after a poor start, just missing in 10.93 but passing Allyson Felix for fourth, 11.93 to 11.96.

Said winner Lee, “This comes with experience. I felt really well blasting at the beginning and feeling relaxed at the end. This year I really learned how to plan out my races well.”

Hoffa leads Cantwell and Nelson to Beijing

The other two finals were also standouts, but since Ed Gordon is covering Hyleas Fountain’s exceptional Heptathlon - see link in ‘related content’ to right of this story - I’ll tell you about the men’s Shot Put.

After one round, Dan Taylor’s 20.80m was leading, but World champion Reese Hoffa, looking much the most relaxed and comfortable in the ring, took the lead with 20.91 in round two, then followed with 21.13, foul, 21.94 and 22.10. Christian Cantwell, standing fourth after four rounds, then caught successive heaves of 21.24 and 21.71 for second. Adam Nelson squeezed out a 20.89 on his fourth throw to edge Taylor by nine cm.

"Twenty-two (metres) is a gold standard, and to do that under the absolutely incredible pressure that we have here makes me very happy,” said Hoffa.

“In 2004 I was young and naïve. When people expect you to make the team it’s different. A lot more pressure. When you actually make an Olympic team, you just have to take a deep breath and look around you and be thankful for making it through such a talented field.”

Cantwell, who redeemed his failure to make the team in 2004, said “probably eight of the people out there today could have done something to upset the form chart. (Adam) Nelson got really lucky; usually that mark wouldn’t get you through. He’s fortunate to be going to his third Olympics."

“The real show starts in six weeks. That’s really all I am thinking about because I have nine more throws. Now the fun begins because all today was about was a plane ticket."

James Dunaway for the IAAF

I want to test that timing system, or are they running 95 meters. That Is a PR or a season best for everyone! What the hell. Those times seem real strange!

Agreed. Like I said in another thread…this Olympics will be a circus, watch…what happens in the 400m.

It’s simple math: Extreme heat + a fast track + a tailwind + all the pressure in the world = fast times.

Charlie, I was under the impression that the track at Hayward Field was geared more to middle/long distance runners rather than sprinters?

How the heck do you run a 9.77 easing up?

I wonder wut he split at 80m

You might be right.

The track there has always been lightning fast- even when I was running! Put the right weather conditions with it and- look out!!

1.90 - 1.08 - 0.87 - 0.89 - 0.82 - 0.83 - 0.83 - 0.83 - 0.84 - 0.88

Source: Kebba Tolbert (USATF Development)

Yes, I heard that- you see the final 20m there is very fast while the 80m split is 8.05 vs 8.02 for Ben and 7.98 for Asafa and 8.00 for Usain.

so if he didnt ease up, a 9.75 at best?

At least, probably another WR.

Well I guess we will see tonight provided we get a nice tailwind. But i dont see Gay running 9.71…lol

9.77 Olympic Trials Mens 100 Quarterfinal1 2008 USA Track & Field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7Yn0imsjI