Tyler Christopher Eliminated in Round One

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/athletics/story/2008/08/17/olympics-athletics-track.html

Canada’s Christopher makes early exit in 400m
Last Updated: Sunday, August 17, 2008 | 10:04 PM ET Comments1Recommend3
CBC Sports

Tyler Christopher of Chilliwack, B.C., finished a distant fifth in his heat and was eliminated from the men’s 400 metres at the Summer Olympics in Beijing on Monday morning.

Christopher, 24, posted a time of 45.67 seconds in a swift heat won by Britain’s Andrew Steele in 44.94.

“To be honest, everything was going really good up until I travelled over here and I ended up getting a really bad flu,” Christopher told CBC Sports.

“I just was able to train two days ago. I thought I was over it, but obviously it took a lot more energy out of me than I thought.”

Christopher, the world indoor champion, opened the season with an impressive 44.71, but he hasn’t run below 45 seconds since.

He set a Canadian record of 45.03 at the nationals.

Chris Brown of the Bahamas won a close heat in 44.79 over Australia’s Joel Milburn (44.80) and Sweden’s Johan Wissman (44.81).

Brown beat Christopher to win the event at last year’s Pan American Games, but Christopher returned the favour at the indoor worlds.

In the third heat at Beijing, Andretti Bain, Brown’s Bahamian teammate, qualified third in 45.96 behind Costa Rica’s Nery Brenes (45.36) and Nigeria’s Godday James (45.49).

Martyn Rooney of Britain took the fourth heat in 45 seconds flat, winning handily over Australia’s Sean Wroe (45.17) and Jamaica’s Ricardo Chambers (45.22).

Michael Johnson of the U.S. still owns the world record of 43.18 set at Seville, Spain, in 1999, and the Olympic mark of 43.49 set at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

http://www.iaaf.org/oly08/results/eventCode=3659/racedate=08-18-2008/sex=M/discCode=400/combCode=hash/roundCode=h/results.html#det

I’ve heard so much about athletes getting sick while over there, and it’s not just a lame excuse, anybody that has been food poisioned or similiar knows how much that truly takes out of you. It’s almost like you have to pack your own food and water and fly it over to be safe, hah.

Or eat at McDonalds for every meal.

That’s the plan :smiley:

Don’t laugh. it is one of the safest places you can eat in a strange environment

I know I was serious. McNuggets and soda may be the safest way.

Well i did the mistake to take a local type of burger at McDonald, very spicy, i couldn’t describe what kind of meet was in, i was sick last night. I heard a female canadian athlete had the same problem.

McNuggets appear to be the way to go based on Usain eating two meals of them before his 100m. McDonald’s should start a campaign: Official Food of the 100m World Record Holder.

Nery Brenes from costa rica is going to run extremelly extremelly fast :smiley: :eek: .

McDonald already is official sponsor for Tyson Gay!

i saw Micheal Phelps in 2005 at a hotel Mcdonalds and he was standing in line and nobody had a clue who he was. He looks much trimmer in person than on tv. SO i guess he gets down on some Mcdonalds as well sometimes

From being out there you quickly learn you have to wash your hands after handling anything. Otherwise you will have diarrhoea every day. Bejing is actually very good, go to rural china and the problem escalates dramatically. One of my colleges lost 20lbs in a month during the 1 month they were out there.

One of our Gold medal prospects in rowing (3x world champ) got crook, lost 4kg in a week and was on an IV drip 2 days before his final. :eek: