TWhite03 Training Log

#10 shouldnt be at bu and who is that big ass wr.

Robert Griffin is the real deal like you said. Which receiver are you talking about? David Gettis?

how much pre game static stretching do your team perform, curious bc i see so many college/pro athletes spending soo much time on static components.

Not much, maybe 5 minutes total. We rely more on PNF and AIS

Really, pnf before a game.

A little over and hour before kickoff, it really works well.

Kool, not sure if i would use pnf, but you dont have much of a choice if you want to play.

It’s not mandatory but most guys choose to have it done. I’ve been doing it for a few years now and I can attest to it’s effectiveness.

From Dr. Young:

I understand many athletes have suceeded with various types of stretching routines but the scientist in me looks at the growing evidence about the (at least acute) detrimental effects of stretching on high power output movements and it makes me very cautious of using too much flexibility training, especially prior to competitive efforts. Also, understanding the mechanical properties of the muscle complex makes it hard for me to concieve how static or traditional PNF could enhance performance when used just prior to performance. Having said that, I do think there are plenty of good uses for various flexibility routines and I use some form of flexibility training everyday. Like I said though, I’m cautious in using it before competitive efforts. However, I do agree with Carl that the method, timing, and intensity of the stretch are probably the most important factors in determining its effects.

You could do PNF stretches for any muscle…just learn the protocols (hold-relax, hold-relax-contract, etc.) and voila…you’ve got limitless combinations. It’s great for spasm as Phoenix mentioned, and is perhaps the fastest way to increase flexibility, and can also be used for strengthening. It should be noted though that the benefits of PNF (the neuromuscular trickery if you will) are also its downfall when using if for athletics. That is, it will deminish power output (at least in an acute sense) more than any of the other stretching protocols

Well it definitely works for me, keep in mind that I’m getting it done over an hour before kickoff and prior to the high intensity elements of our warmup.

Great play by your teammate, i believe number 1.

what are your plans twhite?

I’ve been down in Austin the past few days training and getting therapy and bodywork. I’m working out for the Cowboys on the 13th and want to be as sharp as possible.

Tuesday April 7th

Long Warm-up (jog, static stretch, dynamic drills, dynamic stretch/mobility)
Hurdle Mobility
Acceleration work:
Ladder format- 10, 20, 30…5 total sets
Cool down

Wednesday April 8th

Long Warm-up
Hurdle Mobility
Acceleration work: same format as Tuesday, working on explosive pushes out of the blocks with violent arms and big ROM. Interspersed with wall marching drill.
Hurdle Hops 5x6
Cooldown

Weights:
Snatch- 8-10 sets up to 85 kg working on technique
Incline DB press- 5, 4, 3, 2, 2 (ended with double at 120)
Russian twist 3x10 (kneeling, seated, standing)
Bike cool-down 5 min.

Friday April 24th

Warmup
Accel. 3x (20, 30, 40), 2x(20, 40, 60m)
Best times of 4.24 and 6.63 60m (on a track with spikes, strong wind at back)
2x150- ran 15.66 on the first rep then proceeded to drop anchor 10 min. later on the next with 16.53.
Hurdle Hops 5x5 (36’’ and 8’ spacing)
Cooldown

Weights:
Clean- 3x2 w/ 245, 3x2 w/265, 2x2 w/275, 2x1 w/300
DB Bench- 3x15 w/ 70 lbs. (heaviest dumbbell in the gym)
Glute Ham 2x8
Russian Twist 2x10

Cmon you gotta feel in the gaps.

Hurdle hops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjAUi604Go

Haven’t posted in this log for some time but wanted to layout my plan from here until mini-camps start. The objective is to stay fresh by maintaining speed/power characteristics and increasing low intensity elements. This represents a change from 3 HI days per week to 2. I’ve taken a lot from previous experiences as well as some things from James Smith and other members of the board like tamfb and fogelson.

Here is the outline:

Monday:
Speed- 6-8x30-40 (no more than 240 yd. volume total) or half the planned sprint volume+intensive route running.
Jumps- 15-30 contacts (something like box jumps, hurdle hops or 3 fold)
Throws- 4x4-5 (OHB, BLF, into high jump mat, etc.)
Cleans- 6x2@80
Squat- 2-3x3@70
RDL- 2-3x5-6@50 of Squat max

Tuesday:
Tempo- 1000-1200 yards
MB- 200-300
Abs (between tempo runs, 25-50 quick reps)
Bench- 3x4-5@70-75
Row variation- 3x6
Circuit weights: 3-4x10
Neck machine
Shrugs
45 deg. hyper
Bi’s
Tri’s
Lateral raise
Inv. Row
DB Reverse Lunge wide stance

Wednesday:
Off or elliptical at 120 for 30 min. or extreme boredom

Thursday:
Speed- 4-6x50-60 from standing start
Power Skip for distance- 3-4x30
Throws- 3x3-5
Snatch- 6x2
BB Split Squat- 3x4-5 or DB jump variation 3-4x6
Reverse leg press- 2x8

Friday:
Tempo- 1000-1200 yards
MB- 200-300
Abs
Bench- 3x4-5@70-75
Row variation- 3x6
Circuit weights: 3-4x10
Neck machine
Shrugs
45 deg. hyper
Bi’s
Tri’s
Lateral raise
Inv. Row
DB Reverse Lunge wide stance from deficit (prehab)

Saturday/Sunday: same as Wednesday

Quick Update.

Benched 315x9 and squatted 460x2 this morning. Bodyweight is steady at 215 and I’m probably at 7.5% BF. Speed is at all-time levels or beyond. I’m feeling good about the next few weeks and my prospects of getting on with a team. I’m healthy and in the best shape of my life. I can’t wait to hit the field!

Nice work man. Best of luck to you!

A 150k hang clean from tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/twhite03#p/a/u/0/MnUeGuOnItE