Trinidad to honour Boldon

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=27791.html

Trinidad to honour Boldon

Friday 12 November 2004

The National Amateur Athletic Association of Trinidad & Tobago is to honour 1997 World 200 metres champion Ato Boldon at a Gala on Sunday, 14 November 2004.

Joining a long list of illustrious names to have hung up their spikes recently including Heike Drechsler, Robert Korzeniowski and Frank Fredericks, the 30-year-old Boldon announced his retirement from track and field after failing to advance past the first round of the Olympic 100 metres in Athens this summer.

Boldon will be one of a number of athletes honoured for their contribution to the sport at the Crowne Plaza Hotel this weekend.

The President of the North American, Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) Athletic Association, Amadeo Francis who is a IAAF Vice President, and NACAC Vice President, Keith Joseph, will be among the guests.

Boldon is also a top contender for the sportsman of the year award, following his 100m victory at the National Open Track and Field Championships in 10.09.

The Trinidadian has been among the most successful sprinters of the last decade, winning 100m and 200m medals at both the 1996 Atlanta and 2000 Sydney Olympics. he was also a bronze medallist at 100m in 1995.

He was an outstanding youngster, becoming the first athlete to win the sprint double at the 1992 World Junior Championships in Seoul.

Boldon achieved his aim of winning a major title when he claimed gold in the 200m at the 1997 World Championships before securing the Commonwealth 100m title a year later.

PA International for the IAAF

I had no idea he announced his retirement, sad to see a great athlete go, although, he did woaw the crowd for over a decade. Good for him.

He was one of the greatest sprinters - no question. But if he retired 3 years ago he would have left the scene in glory.
The last 3 years he was 0.25 - 0.5 seconds slower then in his best years on average.

Somtimes I really wonder what caused that dramatic decline in performance at that early age, as I occured before his actual injuries.
It started in summer 2001 if I remember right, when he suddenly clocked 10.40+ times after seasons of almost all performaces sub 10.