Training Year for College Athlete

Heading into my final year of collegiate competition and have been working on getting a solid plan together. For some background, I have PB’s of 6.50 for 55, 10.81 for 100, and 21.99 for 200. Neither hypertrophy nor strength will need to be developed extensively as I am 6’ 190 with good weight-room numbers.

Edit: To put my question in much simpler terms… what seems like a reasonable amount of true speed work to have under my belt on an S-L plan that is influenced by Charlie with 8 weeks GPP and a 8 weeks SPP followed by either my 8 week indoor comp period or a precomp period? Being flexible yet making sure I have a sensible plan in place, my options are anywhere from 8-16 weeks of true speed work.

Here is the first preliminary plan of my training from a Strength/Power development meso to ease my body into weights and explosive movements until the start of indoor comp in mid-January.

Feel free to critique as needed. Total HI data series is Total Sprinting volume (hills, speed, SE) plus plyos/med ball throws included as 10m/rep just to give an idea of the total volume of CNS work.

I see everything is winding down in volume in the pre-comp phase, except tempo. How much will you cut that back when you start competing?

Maybe down to 1500-2000/workout. Main change is tempo 2-3 times/week down to tempo 1-2 times a week during comp. I’m working on losing some football bulk too, so progress there will influence tempo volume. Volumes are also kept so constant just to show that I will maintain tempo volume and because I will use a variety of workouts (pool, bike, etc) that are less easily quantified.

How’s your planning going? Really can’t tell much by looking at lines, need to see all the elements and how you are progressing. Will you be getting any therapy? How’s your diet since you are trying to loose weight?

Yea it really is hard to tell. All I wanted out of this thread was to see if the curves raise any red flags for anyone. I can deal with the workout specifics myself. I’ll shoot you a PM though of a sample GPP week. I’ve been using an SLJ test on flat ground as a benchmark to see how I am progressing and to indicate if I’m not adapting well. Over 4 weeks that has gone up steadily from 9’6 to 10’3 so I seem to be handling the early training loads well. Diet is in check, I’m steadily losing weight with no calorie restrictions so my metabolism is just working much better than it was last winter, seems like I’m 16 again.

Sweet, you on your way to 6.7’s this year. Doesn’t matter what the lines look like if you can handle the workout specifics, they go hand in hand. Not sure how much SLJ matters, I know guys who can’t go over 9’5 but have ran 10.3’s…

SLJ is just a simple way to determine how I’m handling my workload when I don’t have the speed work to do the talking, if it goes down or crashes then I adjust volume accordingly.

I know all about those procedures and used them at times with my football players (VJ, SLJ, RHR).

Agreed. I would suspect someone like Kim Collins to have a relatively low SLJ compared to most people with a similar PB.

After alot of research and consultation I’ve completed my plan for GPP and SPP. One final idea I’ve been playing with regards hill volume… I’ll have 2 hill sessions a week. My current volumes follow a similar pattern to:
M Th
Week 1: 180, 240
Week 2: 240, 300
Week 3: 300, 360
Monday sessions, as you can see, are the same volume as the previous Thurs. These introduce a new running distance and all include the same # of reps.
Thursday sessions take the newly introduced distance and add a few more reps to Mondays workout. Again all Th sessions have the same # of reps.
What I want to know is if anyone sees a major difference (allowing for adaptations, etc) go between this setup and a setup where M and Th workouts are identical.

To add to the post, the idea behind my current progression is that either volume or intensity (30m=faster final speed than 20m ,etc) are altered from workout to workout, never both (as opposed to a traditional approach where volume and intensity are bumped up concurrently).