Training The Master Sprinter 35+

Do you mean the med ball wall circuit (various easy throws into the wall) for rounds of 500-1000 throws?

I’ll post the tempo program i used several yrs - i started at 600m.

I’ve just been running in place bringing the knees up as high as I would bring them when doing tempo runs. I still feel it in the hip flexors, as I do when tempo running if I’m out of shape.
When I began the in place running, I was only able to manage 6 sets of 30sec with 1 min recovery. I can now do 12 straight sets of 30sec with 1 min recovery. My resting pulse rate taken first thing in the morning is 43BPM, so I’m pretty fit now, yet still really struggle with tempo running.

The proximal hamstring issue is generally good. I found that it was more about what not to do than what to do. I wrote about this in a different thread on here not too long ago. Contracting while the hip was in flexion caused the most irritation. I also stayed away from anything too specific to the hamstring. Rather, I trained around the injury in a general fashion. This is what allowed me to get back to speed after a “smart” 9-10 months of re-training the body and mind after last season. I did feel some soreness after my last meet, but I didn’t give it much weight in my mind. Rather, I just downplayed its significance and took training easy in the few days that followed. The soreness disappeared at the end of those few days.

I’ve concluded that the injury came about from over-training. I became a dad at the end of 2014, but didn’t reduce my training load at all. The lack of sleep and new stresses in life caught up to me after the second month. I finally have a handle on the dad-athlete balance, which requires a lower volume of training than pre-fatherhood.

Try this exercise demonstrated at 0.24 into the video. Also try it with the leg straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LNDDqY0tM&t=60s
I have used this exercise as a gauge of whether or not my proximal hamstring is ready to cope with the demands of sprinting at full speed. Let me know if you can do it without any discomfort in your proximal hamstring.

I also use the hamstring razor curl to determine proximal hamstring readiness for sprinting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AJmdi4QI4

Resting heart rate of 43??

Yes sir. Typically that is my heart rate when taken after I get out of bed in the morning. Later in the day it increases to about 49.

What events do you compete in?

None now. Years ago, only in the 100m & 60m. My speed endurance has always been terrible.
I wish my systolic blood pressure was as good as my resting heart rate. It’s always in the 135 -150 range. If anyone knows how to lower it besides going on medication, please let me know.

You sound very much like me. I do 60, 1, and 2 as well, with weak speed endurance, or endurance of any kind in particular. I have relatively low resting heart rate (mid 50-60s depending on the method taken or laying vs seated vs standing) and high systolic BP (120-135).

It’s crazy the variances in individual active people. My resting heart rate is mid 60’s to low 70’s. Doesn’t matter much what I do.

My BP is also high like yours if I didn’t take a little med. I take half of the the prescribed amount of metoprolol. Notice no negative side effects. I’m a little calmer.

I would still recommend the template in my first post for early master sprinters for older master sprinters 40+ maybe they would drop one strength training session.

Mon: Speed
Tue: Weights
Wed: Tempo
Thur: Speed
Fri: Tempo
S/S Rest

It works great esp if you have a full time job… Allows the athlete to focus on one thing daily and the sessions are usually short.

Based on my own experience, I would not recommend three consecutive days of running for a masters athlete. Although I know that some people can get away with it, I think it’s too much tendon loading to recover from.

Inclined to agree. Possibly replace the Friday tempo with some non running work. I have begun to do a gym session of something like :
10 mins bike tempo, 10 mins easy pace on bike. Then 20 mins of light circuit (bodyweight, med ball lift and swing, light Kb etc). Find the circuit provides cardio benefits plus a secondary strength component for the week.

Overall I like this 5 day set up, similar to my model. Running 200/400 I do higher/longer volumes overall. 1 short speed and 1 long speed per week. Tempo may be something like 20mins steady run followed by 1500-2000m of tempo.
My problem at masters level has always been to fit in the 5 circuits on particular days. Work/personal commitments and occasional bouts of age related fatigue means I move around the actual days of sessions.

Like Charlie always said - Tempo is like chicken soup do whatever you need… With that said you could be running twice a week in my setup with pool, circuits, bike tempo on the other two… Also I have never worked with really old master sprinters - mostly in the 35-38 and they were all trainers (meaning decent work capacity and able to train). None experience injuries…

At 35-38 I’m not making huge changes to my training just yet mainly because I still look-feel young and refuse to give in just yet. I do think some athletes start to train like masters sooner then they need to…

You only “really” need tempo as performance level rises because when you train 5-6 days a week you can’t do high intensity days back to back. For anything below 10.5 i think you could get away with less tempo IF you cant hit the conditioning hard enough through medball, bike, pool, jumps etc.

Do you think tempo is more necessary for the 200/400 type athlete ? Particularly the 400.
I have always thought that the slower you are over 400 the more you need aerobic fitness due to the longer time being spent in that zone.

More necessary then the 60/100 but I’m still more of a speed guy doesn’t matter if it’s 100, 200, or 400. I agree with your last comment… If you go to some of those midwest D3 schools they have solid 400m runners and most of them are slow over 60-100m and they are doing int tempo and tons of tempo work.

After studying Charlie gpp dvd and reading Angie blog > https://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/34624708-warming-up-for-sprinting-in-track-and-field

I’m interested to hear should master sprinters warmup look any different or shorter…

I been using the same warmup for years now:

High intensity days:

1: 400-800m Mobility jog (jogging, skipping, backward run, shuffle, carioca, lunge skip etc)
2: Static stretch (8-12 drills for a quick 10 count) Checking for any problem areas.
3: Dynamic mobility (usually 10-12 drills for 10reps)
4: Drills ( a skip b skip a run bum kicks str leg bounds)
5: Buildups over 30m 2-4 (Always done these in trainers, usually take the first start or two in spikes for my body to get prime). Maybe I should change…

Total Time: About 30mins

After studying Charlie gpp dvd and reading Angie blog > https://www.charliefrancis.com/blogs/news/34624708-warming-up-for-sprinting-in-track-and-field

I’m interested to hear should master sprinters warmup look any different or shorter…

I been using the same warmup for years now:

High intensity:

1: 400-800m Mobility jog (jogging, skipping, backward run, shuffle, carioca, lunge skip etc)
2: Static stretch (8-12 drills for a quick 10 count) Checking for any problem areas.
3: Dynamic mobility (usually 10-12 drills for 10reps)
4: Drills ( a skip b skip a run bum kicks str leg bounds 2x20-30)
5: Buildups over 30m 2-4

Total Time: About 30mins

I have recently changed my warm up.

5-6x50-80 meter strides. faster as I get warmer.
foam roll
dynamic mob circuit 5-8 reps of 8-12 drills
drills
2 builds to 30m in flats. then spike up.
sometimes I will walk a lap just for relaxation before I start my warm up

Why the strides and foam roll?