Training Series: Merlene Clean

Not to be too picky - I presume that’s parallel?

the second featured lifter is Miel McGerrigle. She is traslplanted BC lifter who has lived and competed in ontario for the last several years. BTW, Maryse is ‘much’ better at the clean than Miel!

http://www.ontarioweightlifting.ca/

I dont’t think it is time spent in the weightroom that determines how good your technique will be, but rather the quality of time spent. I work with our sprinters here at New Mexico State in the weightroom and I have taken some girls with minimal or no previous experience with the snatch and clean and in 3 weeks they have pretty good techniqe and by the end of the semester are getting the full benefit of the lifts. thats only spending 2-3 days a week on technique/training. In fact some of them are ready for a Olympic Lifting Meet we will have here in Nov. The biggest motivation for them is that I will cut down some of the squatting volume if they learn to catch the lifts in a squat. the hardest part is to convince the athlete that hip extension speed gets the bar up not pulling with the arms. Sprinters are notorious (from my experience anyway) for making excuses on why they cant clean or snatch when (I think) they are suited more for success in these lifts than throwers. Speed, power, and the ability to change over from maximal force production to rapid relaxation. The biggest benefit for me as a coach was to get certified (Level I) with the USWF which is now called the USAW. Not only did they breakdown the technique but they school you in the teaching progressions. I have to admit I use a different method to teach which is working great in the last 4 years, but it was spawned by what I learned in that certification.

Scott Weiser