Training Series: Merlene Clean

I’m going to do a series of posts of videos of top name athletes training. This is the first.

Here is Merlene performing cleans.

and some stills

and the source mpeg.

Remember to right click and Save Target As… Rupert will appreciate it and you get a copy for yourself as a bonus.

Merlene, So hot right now…Merlene. (serious babe)!

I don’t think that’s Merlene (unless she’s having a bad day!).

Originally posted by Charlie Francis

Charlie, you mean because she misses out the top part of the rep? It’s actually a bit of a hybrid lift isn’t it… oh no, what’s Woodhouse going to say! :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by dcw23

[quote]Originally posted by Charlie Francis

Charlie, you mean because she misses out the top part of the rep? i.e. Much of the eccentric portion. [/quote]

She just doesn’t look like Merlene in the face.

Or maybe she just can’t look Merlene in the face?:help:

DCW: You’re damn right, how far is the bar from her thighs during the second pull?!! Maybe you sprinters should keep to limit strength lifts.

Just short of a reverse curl…

I couldn’t bear watching that clean anymore… I’ve added a clip of a more appropriate technique for the clean (1999 Pan Am Games Champion):

Dcw23 - Can you link this right beside the supposed Merlene clip for comparison purposes?

thanks for posting that clip number 2. i was going to ask about the elbows on the catch.

What is the minimal need technique wise to reap benefits while staying clear of injuries? Sure it would be nice to be like professional olympic lifters but exposure time to training is far less for a sprinter.

You would try to get the best possible technique with the time allowable for a sprinter to spend on such lifting. I would say that the example of Merlene is unacceptable, as her technique does not allow her to get the full benefit of the movement (i.e. CNS stress) as she can’t lift that much.

Can any Olympic lifters comment?

Well said number 2. If one cannot perform the lift with any more proficiency then that person displays,(it does not look like Merlene) it’s probably not worth doing.

I think Clemson does have a good point. This video was taken in the lead up to Syd 2000. She must have been doing something right!

The girl in Number 2’s vid comes from the Smurf homestead and is genetically bred for the clean. Hence her magnificient technique!

Merlene (yes it is her) certainly does not show us a textbook lift, but it appears safe and does work a collection of muscles per rep, giving bang for buck. If you download the mpeg, you can see it a little better as the gif is in slomo which does make it look worse than it really is, - particularly in the lowering phase.

She also does the leg press, maybe again because of her structure v injury risk v benefit.

Certainly she must have been doing something right in her program-I just don’t think that this is it! I cringe when I see someone pulling so far away from the body and putting such a load on her lower back. Also, I’ve seen many injure their wrists when they rack the bar with straight wrists. Though I’ve sure observed worse technique, I wish her well.

What’s most worrying is that Merlene’s what 43? She’s probably being lifting that way for twenty odd years. I’ve coached athletes to a higher standard after just two sessions!

Originally posted by David W
What’s most worrying is that Merlene’s what 43? She’s probably being lifting that way for twenty odd years. I’ve coached athletes to a higher standard after just two sessions!

You’ve coached a female athlete to 67 runs under 11 seconds and a PB of 10.78? :smiley:

Let’s face it, with that sort of body, she’s never going to be a weightlifter.

Lifting technique smart ass

hahaha:sing: