Training in heat.

Vito where did you get that from

I have heard and read you start to get thristy when you are 2% dehydrated (2% bodyweight is lost through dehydration).

JimboUKdec,

I think you miss read my quote. I said, that when a person is exercising/training/competing in hot temperature and begins to feel thirsty and is bolting for that water bottle, studies show that, that person is already 50% dehydrated. Thus, the take home message is drink plenty of water ALL-THE-TIME.

To answer your question as to where I got this info from, it was on my final exam for a Sports Medicine course I took at school (York University www.yorku.ca), I will look through my notes to see if I can find the actual study so I can post it here.

btw jimbo, you can lose more than 2% body weight through dehydration. Perfect example are race car drivers who lose at times up to 10 lbs or more after a F1 race.

Clemson, is it true that you can DIE from too much water?? I would love to read that study, can you help?

Vito,

It is not just an issue of CAN you die from too much water, but that people DO die from too much water (or, more appropriately, too dilute a solution of potassium or sodium), each year. If you want to see some info on it, you on the US Army website, I believe that have a section (intended for troop leaders) on adjustments that need to be made for high heat conditions.

Agreed, why cant we have fans,and stuff like the nfl!!!

The other day, it was over 100 degrees and my water bottle tasted like hot tea without the tea bag!

So now I buy Gatorade in powder form, and mix it up at HALF strength. It still tastes good, and you get your electrolytes…

fjlee,
just remember to mix the gatorade half with water, so you have a 1:1 ratio in yer drink bottle. If you, do a search of my previous post, I explian why that is, especially when it comes to adolescent atheltes.