Training for Tryouts

Yeah thank’s bold, it opens in a new page and I didn’t realise I had to log in again for the pic to show, silly me.

What I see is the left arm coming too high which is pulling the spinal column out of alignment. I would start by punching that hand more towards the finish line.

The last time I did this was with through private emails with silencer23, his goal was to get to a level so a certain coach would train him, not unsimilar to you.

If I get in the road you won’t offend me by saying so.

ill happily consider all the advice i receive! and honestly i dont think my left hand always gets up so high. that was from the first day i cued the wrist flick so it probably was a bit exaggerated, but it looked cool, haha

//youtu.be/9waicBxEyX0

this is a 30m from today, from the frame-by-frame timer i get 4.13 from the first movement to chest across the finish (beginning of the hurdle).

there was a bit of a tailwind, it was probably mid-90’s out and i still have some quad soreness, but thats a pretty typical run for me

thurs july 21

dynamic warm-up w/ backflip, human flag and build up in spikes added
stretch checks
3x30m 3 pt 4.13,4.20
3x30m fly w/ 20m roll-in
3xstanding verticals (~34-35")
1x500m 2 pt 1:33

jump rope
erg warm up
shortened functional warm-up
circuits b (~3/4) and standing vertical (30")
hammy rolling
weights thurs (only upper)
100 crunches and 50 medball throws
static stretching

notes:
-reaaaalll hot today, bit of a tailwind. still a tiny bit sore from mon/tues
-hammy knotted up really bad while at the gym so i cut all exercises that would be working the hammy. tomorrow will be careful, but probably will just cut the primary hammy lifts if its funky at all

1st 10m looks good from this angle.
the 2nd 20m - You’re still driving your arms like in the start.
They should be, as close as you can, be at 90deg at the elbow along full swing. Your arms almost fully extend behind you during this phase.
Since your arms preceed leg motion by a fraction, your legs will not recover and follow through any sooner, untill you learn to get them arms in working order.

Even if you slow things down for a few sessions just to really practice good arm mechanics, practice in a mirror even.
Then get the camera out again.
Fixing arm mechanics fixes a lot of other issues you may have. Then re check form of other areas.

Hope it helps

thanks for checking out the video! i will definitely try that. my arm mechanics dont change much from 20m out so maybe thats a cause of my top speed issues. i caught a little video of top speed today, though none of a great view, but i did notice that my arm angle really opens up in back and that i dont leave the ground until my foot is very far behind me. i need more up-down motion and maybe the arm swing will help

//youtu.be/fevUBACi-Rs

vertical jump. 10 foot field goal post. grass surface. jumped in spikes. reach of 83". looks to be about mid 30’s?

//youtu.be/ejp_3-gSWtk

better view of the start. didnt get a time on this one but it was probably my best one, haha

within 6 steps your lower body is in the upright position.

i assume the advice would be to extend the “pushing” position further into my accel? any advice on cueing to do this or is it kind of a you just have to froce it at first type of thing?

fri july 22

functional warm up
1500m grass tempo
(1,1,1
2,1,2)

jump rope
friday lifting
static stretch

notes:
-hammy felt fine today, just made sure to stay mega hydrated
-doms on biceps, abs and pecs
-tempo was probably slower than usual and felt a bit harder, likely due to in part the 100* weather my area is experiencing :stuck_out_tongue: i stil prefer it training wise to the frigid fall/winter/spring, haha

stand normally and sight the ground 10m away, keep that position. Push your bum back like you are doing a squat do not bring your knees forward.when you lift your heels off the ground you will overbalance forward, the further the overbalance the faster the acceleration.

ok, ill try that, thanks!

sat july 23

dynamic warm-up w/ backflip and human flag added
5x28" hill runs r:6’
warm-down
circuits c
static stretch

frisbee

notes:
-minor hamstring soreness, pecs and biceps still tender
-practiced stepping down (i think that’s the key to my hip height issue), keeping my arms closer to 90* and exiting at a lower angle during my warm up accels

sun july 24

weigh in -> 146

static stretch
self-massage

Tennis

swimming
hot tub

mon july 25

dynamic warm up w/ flip and human flag added
technique work (starts, hills and flys)

jump rope
75 contacts plyos

functonal warm up
mon weights
static stretch

notes:
-didn’t really keep track of volume today but worked on transfering running a form to top speed mechanics and exiting lower and getting my hips more through at the start
-i know stopwatches arent great, but i set up a 30 and ran it 2pt and did the stopwatch myself (clicked it on first movement and when my chest went by the 30) and got a 3.91. all i did was exit a bit lower and tried to accel through the 30. we’ll see if that mentality really workes when i get video time on thursday

tues july 26

functional warm up
18’ run

jump rope
circuits a
tues weights
static stretch

notes:
-soreness getting less significant as im adjusting to a heavier workload again. still felt it a bit in quads, glute, obliques, triceps and abs
-in warming up i did a couple a runs into a fly and a 3pt start trying to exit with more force directed horizontally as opposed to vertically and it felt good, cant wait to try out these adjustments on thursday

You won’t be disappointed, I was a starter for 10 years before I started to coach the start. It gets more involved but that should be enough to get you where you want to be.

thanks for the support! i’m not quite sure of what your last sentence means tho…

wed july 27

weigh in -> 149

elliptical warm up
static stretching
self-massage