training for hurdles

When I posted the reply that you quoted, this is exactly what I was trying to say, so I do understand that. Thanks for elaborating though.

You can improve rapidly by setting the hurdles “down and in” to allow you to get the frequency up right away, rather than "triple jumping’ the hurdles in slow-mo. By farther out, I assume you mean to allow room for 5 steps to alow for moe speed in between and quicker clearances.

First of all, the faster you go, the farther away from the hurdle you take off, therefore the shorter the strides in between. That’s why beginners can barely reach the hurdles, while the top guys can barely get their steps in before they must clear the next one. Also keeping the hurdles down in the beginning makes all sorts of sense because, for a given takeoff vector angle, the farther you travel, the higher you go. So, for a beginner, virtually the same takeoff vector can be used as for the top hurdlers.

That is one thing that upset me with coaches - not allowing younger athletes to learn at lower heights and shorter distances.

Before a big meet I have my male hurdles (42") run over 36" hurdles in practice and the women run over hurdles flat on ground. This really works on the frequency and speed .