top speed work on grass

i know its not the best situation but would top speed work on grass in normal running sneakers still help me improve my top speed or is it not worth doing? cause its either flat grass or slightly incline asphalt(maybe 2-3degrees)? What would be better, if either is worth doing?

If your a beginner, basic sprinting all out will improve you. If your not a beginner, then TOP speed work is just that…top! speed. If you arent able to actually go full speed and are still putting in maximum effort, then it will not improve top speed much.

Spikes and a track are a neccesity for sprinting, grass is too soft and sneakers arent ideal sprint shoes.

Why run with sneakers? Use your spikes on the grass!

use your spikes with long cross country spikes on, you wont slip at all with them

i have done speedwork on the grass and i found the biggest problem the pain in my hammys due to the constant slipping while wearing short spikes

i also feel the same when sprinting hard on slippery track with trainers

I wouldn’t recommend any spike length under 9mm for sprinting on grass. Ideally, depending on the hardness/softness of the surface, the spike length should be between 12mm and 18mm, with 15mm being the most practical length on most grass surfaces.

Sprinting at top speeds (or anthing over 70%) in trainers (without spikes) is fraught with danger unless the shoe has a sole designed for grip on grass surfaces.

But stick to spikes and you can’t go wrong.

On grass…I dunno, look at it like this: if you played football, baseball, or soccer… would you use sneakers or track spikes to run fast.

Buy some cleats.

-Guy

Dr. Sprint – I apologize for hijacking this thread, but your Celtics avatar reminded me of something. As you know, newspaper headline writers try to be witty. Those in the UK especially. Several years ago, there was a Scottish Cup soccer match between Glasgow Celtic, always #1 in Scotland, and Caledonia, a lower-division team that was barely above semi-pro. They were known colloquially as “Callie.” Well, in this match, Caledonia managed to upset Glasgow, which led to the following headline in the next day’s newspaper:

Super Callie goes ballistic, Celtic are atrocious.

I think you’d get a solid argument from Rangers fans if you went to Glasgow saying Celtic are always Scottish number one! Potentially a religious war too! But that’s another story.

Well, right you are, Maris. But, hey, that’s just what the world needs now – a good religious war. :rolleyes:

Scotland’s number one team will always be the national squad, supported by the tartan army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bYFCq3P1g

Celtic & Rangers can argue about being number one in Scotland’s second best city - Glasgow.

But in THE best city in Scotland it’s -
"Hearts, Hearts, Glorious Hearts who reign supreme. :smiley:

(Despite what those delusional Hibbies fans might think) :wink: