Thoughts on Charlie Francis and soccer

In most cases it ends up very much rehab focused as most guys who want to do something usually are coming to rehab or prehab an injury.

They will also sometimes want to do a lot of running like 800’s or 200’s because they know that’s what they’ll do on day 1 when they go back to training and they need to be ready for it.
I’d never do any running of significance with them, unless I was rehabbing a knee injury and was looking at running mechanics and/or for movement pattern breakdown.

But generally you’d work on strength training, body control and regeneration.

Probably in reverse order actually. these guys have had such a long season, recovery and regeneration is the most important thing.

Once you have them back or rather if you have them back to the point where they have no restrictions or limitations, do you train them in the ideal fashion with what you believe to be best or must you cater to what they know they will be doing when they come back?

I guess if you had enough time, which you obviously don’t with the top guys, there has to be more of a concession to what they will have inflicted upon them when back with their team?

If you had an athlete over a longer period of time would you just train them the way you knew to be best which would likely leave them performing better during the “less than ideal” training they must do when they return to their teams?

Thanks.

Always prepare the athlete to play the game, not to be ready for training. You must explain that to the player too though.
Occasionally you have to prepare them - or bullet-proof them for team pre-season training.

Yes, if you train a player for 6 weeks at dominoes but when they go back to the team and they perform better - the coaches or the player don’t care - they just want the player playing well in matches.

Carretta. I think that Armstrong has a full team, more than one for each “category”. But he has worked with Armstrong at least since 2003 (maybe he is still with him, last year he was for sure).

What do they ask for (non-trivial question)?
I mean, they pay the fee, so they are entitled to their opinion

Never heard of him, but sure you’re right.

I suspect with Armstrong it’ll be like the ‘gym’ in Seoul shortly … 1,000 people claiming to be his ‘therapist’ or coach! lol!!!

I’m pretty disappointed in Armstrong’s showing at this years Tour, I’m a massive fan. Hes certainly had some shady coaches in his career that is for sure.

Well I’d agree.

The rules of the forum (“No mention or discussion of banned substances under any circumstances”) forbid me for saying what I really think.

Let’s just say there’ll be news shortly that should clarify a lot of things for people.

Sure, maybe someone will be claiming to be his dentist. Jokes aside, the therapist has a strong connection with the Texan, it started because one of his clients was running with Armstrong, you know how it happens. You can also find some information online (I don’t throw names randomly, like the Davies man).

you mean the court case? I read Le Mond is chomping at the bit!

… And more!

A very jealous & bitter man that has lost many a fan through his antics.

Hmmm … I know where you’re coming from, but he knows A LOT about the real truth behind Armstrong - more than you or I know - and I think he’s just been saying for years what others don’t want to say or are scared to say.

LeMond himself is an honorable guy.

Ok, I do agree he’s probably a little bitter, but Armstrong is not the Knight everyone thinks either.

The truth will come out in time.

Guys,
just remember the thread. It has been wonderful so far, let’s stay on topic.

You brought up Armstrong! Lol!
:smiley:

But ok, back to soccer …!

I’m unsure as to which part of my post you are responding.

Do you mean the team pays or the athlete that pays a personal coach has the right to an opinion or what exactly?

Yes…you’re right too.
I’m not speaking in absolute manner, it’s only relative to my experience.
In Italy there are doctors that are surely opened, but imo, there is a great % of old school closed doctors.

Real life monthly calendar from one of my U18 girls:

Aug 2-5, 7-8, 10-13: Team camp, training, fitness (i.e. hell week style)

Aug 17, 19: practice

Aug 20-22: Games
Aug 24 game
Aug 26: game
Aug 28-29: games

Aug 31 training

AC Milan and Panathinaikous Training sessions wed beofre their Fri match here in Detroit.

AC Milan just got off plane 3-4 hours before, so was about a 45 minute jog and stretch in runners. Pana. had a nice finishing session for 30 minutes. Also got footage of players being stretched out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMdA86_Gs0

When you see them so close, technical skills are impressive, aren’t they? You don’t have the same perception when you see them on TV.