The use of exercise bikes by substitute players - thoughts?

I read in the local paper that a Scottish club has introduced exercise bikes to the side of the field to ensure that substitutes are ready in case they are called into action. I know this has been extensively used in international clubs and also by Fulham in the English Premier League a few seasons ago.

The club’s aim is to keep the substitutes heart rates up rather than them sitting on the bench getting cold.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this and what you think might be the potential positives and negatives? Is there any scientific evidience behind this?

The rules in the Scottish Premier League state that only three players (out of five) can warm-up behind the goal or on the touchline at any one time. Thus, previously the other two have had to stay sitting on the bench.

The protocol that this club uses consists of some of the substitute’s cycling for a certain period of time (I don’t know how long) with HR monitors on so they work at a certain rate (I don’t know what intensity).

The other substitutes perform their mobility and dynamic flexibility behind the goal as normal – so it is rest, cycle, running.