The training methods of Jon Edwards

Charlie, I’ll have a look through my archived files, not sure if I still have those results but will post them if I have. Don’t think JE or anyone else would mind that as it was quite some time ago. :slight_smile:

Edwards coach decided to concentrate on weights more than bounding to try and reduce injuries.

Thats correct JohnG, Jonathon listened to his body and he knew that a lot of hopping and bounding workouts would result in injuries. His event specific triple jump runway work was kept to a minimum as well.

Havn’t forgotten about the stats by the way.

Found them at last, here we go, from March and May 1995:

Jump from squat position - JE
Height Reached 62.6cm/57.3

Counter Squat Jump Height - 71.7cm/78.8

Drop Jump + Vertical Rebound - 71.9/73.4cm contact time 191/169

Under 20 Long Jumper

Jump from squat - 46.0

Counter Squat - 53.9

Drop Jump + Vertical Rebound 52.1
contact time 84.3

What does the second figure refer to in the ‘Jump from squat position’ 62.6cm/57.3 etc.? Is it with or without arms?

Since Jon’s drop jump rebound height is much less than his countermovement jumps, Jon has an explosive strength deficit indicating He needs to work more on his reactive strength :wink:

Hi Alvin March result left side of the / May result right side of the /, sorry i wasn’t clear.

Yeah, crap wasn’t he. :smiley:

It means that he has a highly devloped “neural” system, if anything he would have needed to develop hypertrophy - but that would may be counterproductive - so he would be better off sticking to what he already did?

he had a jump phase of over 7.00m on one of his big jumps

guess from that. lol.

Hi Phil,

Thanks heaps for posting those, very very interesting.

“Height Reached 62.6cm/57.3
Counter Squat Jump Height - 71.7cm/78.8
Drop Jump + Vertical Rebound - 71.9/73.4cm contact time 191/169”

Thats a massive positive difference between his static and counter/drop jumps. What was his clean like: did he catch high when cleaning >140?

Joe

My pleasure Joe

Yes, from what I can remember he did, the bar would be moved at such speed it was inevitable I think. Going back a few years now so the memory banks are a bit fuzzy.

Shit got this wrong - he would need to spend time on maximal or reactive type training as mortac suggested

Hi Steve/Mortac,

I find this very interesting (esd & prescription of exercise). We dont know what height the depth jump was performed from (could have been 0.1-1m for all we know - phil can you inform us?), and we know his static:counter jump ratio was very low (lacked strength relative to reactive ability). Explains why his standing long jump was relatively low.

Years ago (2000?) before esd was “popularised” we created a small system to calculate esd, except we used static squat jump vs counter mean to determine how to train (strength vs reactive). I have not seen any evidence for using this, or the alternative (counter vs depth) as training indicators simply due to the lack of normative data & research. At the moment to my knowledge esd “tests” are completely theoretical, and quite biased because there is a large skill component to each test.

Would love to know if anyone has any normative data or research on this.

Joe

Joe, check out
McGuigan et al., Eccentric Utilization ratio: effect of sport and phase of training. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2006, 20(4), 992-995

Its nothing startling but does include some normative data on this stuff and looks at changes that occur in squat jump to counter movement jump ratio during a competitive season for 2 or 3 team sports. Pretty big changes reported also.

The ESD makes sense on paper but I have seen unexpected results all over the place in practice. I have also never met anyone whose drop jump rebound height was higher than their counter-movement jump.

I did ESD tests with Bosco’s protocol of pause squat jump vs pause squat jump with a bar loaded with bodyweight. My most explosive and weakest guy had the highest loaded jump and my strongest guy had the highest squat jump which didn’t make a lot of sense to me.
athlete A=explosive & weak
athlete B=balanced
athlete C=strong & explosive
A B C
sj 24.4 24.2 28.9
sj+bw 12.1 10.2 10.8
ratio 0.495901639 0.421487603 0.373702422

Personally I have never found much validity in the tests (though they initially seem like a great idea). I have trained my whole life focusing on strength but my CMJ is alot higher than my SJ. So my original comments about Edwards’ ESD were tongue-in-cheek.

Are you sure about this?

I know that I, and a couple of people I know, can do this. My DJs off of 12" and 18" boxes are 1.5" and 1" higher than my CMJ, and my CMJ is a fairly practiced movement.

Mortac strangely enough my drop jump rebound (40 cm box) is far higher than my counter movement jump.

Rebound = 61 cm
CMJ = 52 cm

What does it mean though? I do no reactive work - just heavy squatting?

DB hammer seemed to be a proponent of this type of assessment.

Re height of drop, can’t recall, was not very high, will have a look to see if I have any data on that.

rj24, yes I’m sure. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree with my training methods…

Stevemac24, that may mean you have good reactive strength but need to do more squatting. Depending on what ratios you accept, it could also mean that you are fairly well balanced between the two. The ratio is highly dependent on box height.

Maybe the tests would be more logical if we specifically trained for them/practiced alot (squat jump, cmj, drop jump).

Don Chu says that a low drop jump height should always be higher than your CMJ. His method for determining depth jump training height is to accept the fact that a low drop jump is better than your CMJ. Increase the height of the box progressively until you can no longer better your CMJ. That is the height to be used for drop jump training.

Clear as mud, isn’t it? Where is KellyB when you need him?