The Storm 06 XC

I agree, Nick. I think that having easy days devoted as much to recovery as possible is the best way to go.

8/28/05
Week-10 Sunday
Workout: Nada entrada! I went up to my GF’s dorm in Oakland, and took about 4 hours longer gettin’ back down than it took me to get up. Stupid california. Why in god’s name isn’t there a unified rail-transit system? How much is that too ask?! Grrrrowl.

Workout Mterage
Weekly Meterage

8/29/05
Week-11 Monday
AM: no shoes, sonuva… i’ll run tommorrow morning.

PM: I did some crazy finangling to get my running shoes so I could do this workout today.

no warmup, 6x800 (6:00 cycles), 4 mile cooldown, stretches, captain’s meeting

My splits were very nice… 2:42, 2:43, 2:42, 2:43, 2:41 (until the last one) 2:57. I was doing “okay” during the first 5. I went out easy. Crested the hill. Put down a bit of elbow grease on the back straight, and powered down the easy downhill. I did that pretty much every time. Except the last one: I didn’t just hit the wall, it fell on me. I knew that this workout wasn’t supposed to throw me into never-never land, so I eased up and didn’t push out of my comfort zone. (Which isn’t saying much, it was hard to keep running)

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage
11200 (I wanted to add another 6400 to today’s workout, but I didn’t have my shoes with me in the morning. Growl!)

8/30/05
Week-11 Tuesday
AM: 4 miles easy pavement

Good workout. I had a strawberry+Banana smoothie and 16oz H2O immediately afterwards.

PM: 1 mile warmup, stretches, 7 miles easy, 100m sprint (What time is it? poof gone…)

good workout today. I enjoyed my run. We talked about subject like: Abortion! (Sad, but horrible fact of life) Ramons! (Sad but… oops. I mean all of their chorus’s sound the same.) And We rode the train. Well… a train stopped in front of us, and so we all jumped on the back end of it, and we all held on. The tough guys were holding on for as long as they could, but they were below me (i’d climbed up a ladder) so I only jumped offf the danm thing when it was going waaay to fast for me, I stumbled almost fell. Everyone thoughti was tough, I was just stuck, heh.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

8/31/05
Week-11 Wedsnday
AM: Gloroius Sleep! My alarm went off early, so I slept for an extra hour. Man I had some crazy dreams. I don’t remember much about the dream, only that I was very, VERY wierded out by them right afterwards.

PM: 1 mile warmup 5 mile tempo. 32:14 6:25 mile pace =), 3 mile cooldown

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

9/1/05
Week-11 Thursday
AM: Slept in

PM: 5 miles easy,
got a diaphragm cramp, which was not fun, but hey. At least I learned how to stretch my diaphragm. I wanted to run about 9 today, but I didn’t, so boo hoo.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

9/2/05
Week-11 Friday
AM: Easy 2
PM: Easy 6
Workout MEterage
Weekly Meterage

9/3/05
Week-11 Saturday: Toro Team Builder Invitational
AM: Running& Cheering (1mile)
PM: 2 mile warmup, 3 mile race, 1 mile cooldown.

At the start of the race, a guy went down in front of Ivan (Our #1 guy), and Ivan thought it was funny, so he laughed. The guy who went down didn’t think so, so he got back up (quickly) and pushed Ivan. I had to scream at Ivan to keep him from doin’ something stupid. Besides that, I got a tummy cramp, and didn’t push the hills b/c of it. I ran 17:56, and got 6th. =P

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

I would of laughed too. Cross country is tough, i use to be good at it when i was younger. I was schools champion.

Good luck man, even though luck has nothing to do with it.

Go and kick some ass, that sounds better.

Thank you

That’s Shumon. (What kind of course did you run? How far? How fast where you? Not that any of that XC stuff matters, you’re a danm good sprinter)

9/5/05
Week-12 Monday
AM: 3 miles medium/easy
I ran up in BD. It was hilly, but the hills didn’t bother me I was able to do the loop quickly, and without any challenge.

PM: 8 miles easy

Again in BD. Just as hilly. This time, though, I ran later at night. I had to cut my run short (I wanted to do 10) because the danmed sun went down! Dangit! Why does that thing always have to set when I’m on a roll? My gut hurt at about 3.5 miles, but when i flexed it and did some deep-breathing, it passed. Why does this danm thing keep bothering me? Not enough core work?

Workout Meterage
Weekly meterage

Maybe you’re running too soon after you’ve eaten. I know I dont do cross-country runs like you, but I never eat within two hours - at a minimum - of a workout, especially tempo runs. Other than that I have no idea.

9/6/05
Week-12 Tuesday
AM: Sleep!

PM: 1mile w/up 4x1600m@tempo 3mile c/down

Today was kind of tough. My right leg is like jelly. The quad is sore and soft, while my hammy is extra tight. During the run today, my stumoch got a bit tight. During the 3rd interval I needed to take a dump, and my leg hurt pretty good. I also gave up. Grrr… Anyway, so I gave up and ran only 800m that time. I ran the full 1600 the fourth time.

5:55, 6:00, 2:55, 6:04

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

Hope this is of some help!
I think I’ve got some more info about this; I’ll have a look. Please, remind me here in your journal…

Alleviating Stitches

Stitches are a common problem that appear to be caused by one of the following:

1. breathing with the chest, rather than with the diaphragm,
  2. taking small breaths (panting) without exhaling fully, thereby stretching the diaphragm,
  3. stretching certain ligaments in the abdomen that attach the intestine to the diaphragm, or
  4. an inflammatory response in the peritoneal lining of the intestine.

The most effective treatment is prevention. You can learn to prevent stitches breathing with the diaphragm and by strengthening the abdominal muscles with regular sit-ups. Should a stitch develop during a race, two measures that frequently help are to exhale very deeply to stretch the diaphragm, thereby breaking its spasm, or to breath out when you land on the foot opposite to the side on which the pain is felt. This helps reduce cecal slap, a descriptive term first used by a British physician, who noted that he developed diarrhea and pain in the right side of his abdomen after running his first marathon. He suggested that this was due to contact of the first part of the large bowel –the cecum, which sits immediately above and to the right of the pelvis- with the anterior abdominal wall and that this caused bruising of the cecum.

It has been further suggested that the stitch may also be exacerbated by contact of part of the large bowel with the diaphragm. Thus, if the cecum slaps against the anterior abdominal wall, there is no reason other parts of the bowel cannot also strike the diaphragm. If you get a stitch on your right side, it may be that landing on the right foot drives the right side of the large bowel into the diaphragm. By breathing out when you land on the left foot, you may reduce the amount of contact between the bowel and the right side of the diaphragm, thereby reducing the likelihood of the cecum striking the diaphragm.

Runners tend to get stitches when running downhill, particularly following a tough uphill section. This may be due to sudden contact of the cecum with the anterior abdominal wall and the large bowel with the diaphragm. The bowel is then more likely to strike the diaphragm, initiating the stitch. Running fast uphill may also be more likely to induce panting with inadequate stretching of the diaphragm when exhaling.

Tightening the abdominal muscles or even wearing a wide belt around the abdomen and tightening it at the onset of the stitch may also be helpful in some cases.

Alternatively, if the stitch is due to inflammation of the peritoneal linings of the abdomen, as proposed by others, it is not immediately clear how it might be prevented.
(Lore of Running, T. Noakes)

Wow Nik. I don’t know how to thank you enough. That’s a lot of work you put into researching that. Or at least typing up that post. Very cool, though, now, armed with that weapon I will be able to better combat my stitches! (And I’ve also re-started/re-invogorated my core rutine)
9/7/05
Week-12 Wedsnday
AM: Easy day=Sleep day

PM: 9 miles easy, 5 100m strides
Good workout today. It was mostly easy, except for about 2-4 miles of it were done at varying speeds. The fastest I went wasa little under tempo pace. My gut only hurt a bit, but breathing deep seemed to help a lot.
Workout Meterage
Weekly MEterage

9/8/05
Week-12 Thursday
AM: Sleep
PM: 1 mile warmup 3x800@5kRP, 3 mile cooldown

Easy workout today. I didn’t cramp at all, but I was a bit tight during our DeMolay meeting tonight. I’m glad the chapter is going to be doing well. Should have about 12-13 guys at the re-instatement/Instillation

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

well it was on grass, in a woodland area. I use to run alot of cross country back in the day, in high school.

Each year, the whole high school use to have a cross counrty. I beat the whole school, in my first year.

Then i was 15th, just ahead of my good friend who was 16th in the county champs. I enjoyed cross counrty, it was a battle. The last time i ran a cross counrty was in year 10, one year befor i left school. It was county schools championships.

I have cheated befor aswell, on a cross country race.

I done a 800meters this year, i exsperienced that. I think i could run 2.00falt 800m. Because i train with 800m guys, and then go on how tough the event is. I had a go, i ran the last 200m in 24sec. ran 2.15sec came from last position to win.

I might do a cross counrty this year, if i can get to one.

I beat one of my training partners in that 800m race, in the last 20m, i was looking at him. With my hands by my sides.

The 800m is the toughest event the track i think.

Infact i will run cross country this winter, and then i can tell you how fast i can go. abit of fun.

9/9/05
Week-12 Friday
Workout: 6 miles easy, 5x100m striders

Workout Meterage

9/10/05
Week-12 Saturday: Earlybird Invitational

See results section for full details. I ran 17:15 with an odd stumoch.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

9/11/05
Week-12 Sunday: Santa Cruz DeMolay Double Degrees and instillation

I stayed on my feet ALL day! I’m the newly appointed Master Councilor of THe Santa Cruz DeMOlay chapter. SO much work… Ugh

WorkouT meterage
Weekly Meterage

9/12/05
Week-13 Monday
Workout: 12 miles hard finish
I went 7:10 the first 6 miles. 6-7 was 6:50, 7-8 6:15, 8-9, 6:10, 10-11 6:30,11-12 7:15.

I like those splits =)

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

9/13/05
Week-13 Tuesday
Workout: 1.5 mi w/u 5x1mi@RP w/3:00 recov, 2mi recov
5:51, 5:49, 5:34, 5:33, 5:41(-10 secs)

I averaged 5:42, or 5:36, depending upon wether you count the 10 second break I took to stretch my hammy in the middle of my 5th mile. The first 3 miles we did on the XC course, the last 2 on the track. I felt very bad, b/c of my gut (Spicy Chicken) blegh… But I was very proud of myself for being “tough” I worked my intervals very well. I have found, though, that if I open up my elbow angle (it’s very tight) it helps me swing my legs.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage