The pete diet.

The following is the result of what I’ve learned about nutrition in my life. First the background: since today is an off day and I have nothing to do but sit on this page I will not be brief at all, so feel free to skip ahead if you become bored. Last November I went on the computer and found cf.com and now, one year later this is what I’ve learned. :wink:

The main influences that I’ve had have been: Clemson (www.regenerationlab.com), John Berardi (www.johnberardi.com), the Weston A. Price people (www.westonaprice.org), and the people on this site, especially Charlie and Nightmare. I would like to thank all of these people, without you I’d be…fat.

Breakfast:
5 oz. Salmon (35g P, 6g F)
1 cup organic cottage cheese (26g P)
One smoothie with 5 oz. organic blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches or non-organic raspberries and blueberries, 7 oz. WFN coconut milk (=1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil), 1 tablespoon WFN coconut oil, and ½ tablespoon Really Raw Honey (32 g F, 20 g C)
1 cap Usana Multi-mineral
1 cap Usana MultiVitamin

Lunch:
Tuna packet, 4 oz. Fish, 4 oz. Whole Foods Meat (non-organic, but not hormone loaded pork or steak), or 4 oz. Game which is great because its killed in its natural environment so I don’t need to worry about it being grain-fed/organic (30-45g P, 1-6g F)
Sometimes organic grilled vegetables and all the time (starting tomorrow; my dehydrator came today)10-12 oz. organic Dried peaches/blackberries/blueberries/raspberries/mixed berries (30-45g C)
NOTE:The lunch meat is very reflective of the previous couple of days dinner meat.

After school:
15 oz. Mixed vegetables (again starting tomorrow, today I had 10 which I’ve done on other days as well) cooked in a tiny bit of Organic Valley butter and about ¾ tablespoon olive oil (20g C) (Fat factored in below)
4 large organic eggs w/ 2 oz. Raw Milk cheese from Whole Foods cooked in about ¼ tablespoon olive oil (45g F, 40g P) g
1/2 cup organic cottage cheese (14g P)

Post-workout if it’s a High Intensity day:
40g proteinfactory.com whey protein + about 1 tablespoon Honey (0-40g P, 0-45g C) and 1 cup Odawalla“Superfood” (nonorganic pasteurized fruit and nutrient juice)
1 hour later: 1 cup and ½ cup pasteurized and nonorganic: carrot juice and beetroot juice (0-30g C)
Even if its not an HI day:
1 cap Usana multimineral
1 cap Usana multivitamin
NOTE:I am doing 4 relatively HI days a week so I need an insulin spike on these days, but since I’m young and its that many days a week I’m trying to not make it too high.

Dinner:
3 oz. Organic Salad w/ about ½ tablespoon olive oil and some balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar(going to start the apple cider today) (7g F, 10-15g C)
6 oz. Fish, game, or Whole Foods Meat (non-organic, but not hormone loaded pork, steak, buffalo) or organic chicken, or sometimes game and a vegetable, usually one or the other cooked in about ½ tablespoon olive oil (40-60g P, 7-40g F, 15g C)

One smoothie with 5 oz. organic blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches or non-organic raspberries and blueberries, 7 oz. WFN coconut milk (=1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil), 1 tablespoon WFN coconut oil, and ½ tablespoon Really Raw Honey (32 g F, 20 g C)
NOTE:I’ve gotten to the point where about 5/7 dinners are either fish or game, I’m trying to get my Whole Foods to start ordering game, in which case I could make it 7/7 but they keep yessing me and not doing anything but in any case I think its getting closer and closer to 6/7.

Half hour before bed:
3 caps Biotest ZMA + 4 caps Searslab fish oil (arrived Tuesday) (4g F)

3 minutes before bed:
1 cup organic cottage cheese (28g P)

Summary:
P=171g-260g
F=134g-172g
C=115g-210g

P kcal-684-1040
F kcal-1206-1548
C kcal-460-840

Total calories-2350-3428

P/F/C=29/51/20
P/F/C=30/45/25

I probably get about 250 calories/week from my one vice, condiments. However I do not feel this makes much difference and the larger concern could be using that money when it should go to food. However, I think in total condiments only add up to about 5.00/month for me at most, so as long as I continue to use them sparingly I don’t think they will be a problem.
We usually go out for about 3 meals/week. Two are usually either good restaurants (read:Thai/Indian) or a not so great restaurant where I get fish. The other one time I might have a hormone-loaded, non-organic steak or chicken.
I think the main things that I should probably try to work on are getting more carbohydrates, including a little more fruits/veggies and through easier sources such as Texmati rice, oatmeal on weekends and using this to cut back on the fat a bit. I am clueless as to what my needs are for “glycogen” recovery; waiting for the rl.com breakfast article (I am a 100/200 sprinter).
Still, I think the diet is pretty good; it’s taken a long time to put all the pieces together and especially arrange to have all the pieces (I began thinking of posting this thread at the beginning of the summer) and I’m recovering very very fast these days and am looking leaner and leaner. Three weeks ago I took a torso picture, in another three I will take another and I think there’s going to be a pretty big difference. If I had to guess, from pictures of others that I’ve seen I ‘d say I’m at about 8% BF.
I would love any suggestion from the forumites, since many have obviously been at this much longer than I have. Thanks for reading if you’re here :slight_smile:

From now on I will just edit this post to put in changes. I don’t expect many but one fairly major one is: I’ve now got my family on McAnn’s steel cut oatmeal (thanks Clemson :slight_smile: ) in the morning and I’m going to add a third of a cup (38g C) to my breakfast. This should help with the ratios a little.

Maybe those Weston A. Price people know their stuff but they knock every single diet around. Of course all of them have their downfalls. They also need to add herb smoking to their lists of life practices as many traditional cultures do this and it helps with stress too.

Follow Berardi to the path of physique changes and performance. All of his plans are tailorable to the individual and one thing he continually espouses even over expensive scientific tests is experience through personal manipulation of diet. Find what works for you. He will also say that the principles and basics of all the diets, Zone, Atkins, etc. are the same the differences are the 1-2%.

bib

where can we read /order more about these oats you speak of?

athlete,
Credit goes to Clemson as with just about everything else in the diet (although I do not wish to say this is something he would approve just how I’ve interpreted the info I’ve gotten from him and to a lesser, though important, extent others). He’s spoken about the oats a few times on his site. I got mine at Whole Foods.

lr400,
I agree that they’re pretty narrowminded in some ways, however I have picked up a fair amount in ideology from them so I am very appreciative of that.

Clemson = smart dude. He has given great insight on diet tweaking. Yeah i’ve heard him mention those oats. I might order them.

Any idea on how much lower on GI steel versus rolled is? as well as their respective insulin responses.

www.glycemicindex.com lists rolled oats as anywhere from 42-75 and steel oats as 52 but I do not know about insulin response.

Any other takers on the diet?

your getting about as much fat as carbs, intentional?

Calorie wise I’m actually getting about twice as much although I am consuming a lot of carbohydrate foods by weight (fruits/veggies). I didn’t know the macronutrient ratios were going to turn out quite that high on the fat side and that low on the carb side and that’s why I’m adding the oatmeal and I’m also considering trying to replace some fat calories with Texmati rice. I seem to really be recovering well these days and slowly getting leaner (as I’m pretty lean already) but if a lot of pepole think I should replace some fat (I guess maybe someof the coconut oil would be the first place to start so that I’m down to about 3 1/2 tablespoons a day) with low insulin response grains while keeping in mind I’m a 100/200 guy out of GPP following a long to short program I’ll be receptive. What do you think?

On average at least meals are about 2/3 plate covered fruits/veggies but calorically that does not work out to anywhere near Zone.

Half hour before bed:
3 caps Biotest ZMA + 4 caps Searslab fish oil (arrived Tuesday) (4g F)

wouldnt it be better if you had the fish oil caps just before you ate your cottage cheese? i think (dont know for sure) they absorb better with meals, also (again guessing) that the oil would slow down the zma and it may interact with the calcium in the zma?

smoothies taste good and i think they are ok once and awhile, but to get them to taste good, you have to add a lot of fruit to them (or juice concentrate) and that much fructose at once might be too much unless its in the PW window, and ive read some argue that fructose isnt the best PW carbs choice.

nm4d

ps, thanks for the props, but i dont think i belong in the same thank you line as the man himself.

Hmmm…didn’t think of that. I will change it (2nd night meal change because of you, thank you!).

Since I have the smoothie in two servings it only ends up being 4 oz. of fruit per serving.

Thanks for the insight!

I’ve made a fair amount of changes since I first posted my diet, most pretty soon after posting so what’s below has been pretty much the same for about four months. The results: lots of added muscle during strength phase and since it was slow and I’m a beginner I really do think that I have also gotten leaner during this time. Now for the season I’m really looking to lean out from 185 (where I’m at now) to probably around 180, including possibly a little upper body mass loss but this will come through training means, I don’t think I’ll change the diet around. Anyways:

Low intensity days:
7:00-7:20 A.M.(in order):
4 caps Sears Lab fish oil + 1 cap mega Usana mega antioxidant
20 oz. organic frozen berries
~2 servings McCann’s oatmeal
1 scoop low carb GROW! in water
4 oz. smoked salmon (bottom layer of fat removed, it tastes a little rancid)

10:45 A.M.:
~6 oz. organic yogurt w/ 3/4 scoop low carb GROW!

12:30 P.M.:
1 cap Usana Mega Antioxidant and one cap Usana multimineral
Tuna 2-3 times a week ("Eat well tuna w/ olive oil about half the time and regular w/ balsalmic vinegar onions & carrots about half the time), fish, or game the other 2-3 times a week
Usually organic raisins

2:45 P.M. (before track practice):
2/3 Labrada Lean Body bar

I usually go to the gym straight after practice on L.I. days and get home around 6:00 P.M.ish:
1 cap Usana Mega Antioxidant and two caps Usana multimineral
~3 oz. organic frozen berries

~45 minutes to an hour later:
15-16 oz. stir fried frozen mixed vegetables or spinach cooked in ~3/4 tbsp. olive oil (well, that I consume at least) + ~1 1/2 tbsp. almond butter

8:30 P.M.:
Usually about 6-8 ounces of game, organic chicken, or fish. Fish is usually cooked in a little butter and olive oil, all are usually with a small condiment.
A vegetable serving about half the time

~30 minutes later:
~3 oz. salad w/ about 1 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil + balsalmic vinegar and apple cider vinegar

9:30 P.M.:
3 caps ZMA and…
I usually get this meal in on about 3/4 L.I. days:
4 egg omelette cooked in around 3/4 tablespoon of coconut oil that I actually consume and an additional 2 or so that I melt and drink at this time.

10:10-10:20 P.M. (right before bed):
3 scoops low carb GROW! in water
2 tbsp. flax seed oil w/ 400 I.U. vit. E
If I’m feeling run down additional vit. C

High intensity days:

7:00-7:20 A.M.(in order):
4 caps Sears Lab fish oil + 1 cap mega Usana mega antioxidant
20 oz. organic frozen berries
~2 servings McCann’s oatmeal
4 oz. smoked salmon (bottom layer of fat removed, it tastes a little rancid)

10:45 A.M.:
~6 oz. organic yogurt w/ 3/4 scoop low carb GROW!

12:30 P.M.:
1 cap Usana Mega Antioxidant and one cap Usana multimineral
Tuna 2-3 times a week ("Eat well tuna w/ olive oil about half the time and regular w/ balsalmic vinegar onions & carrots about half the time), fish, or game the other 2-3 times a week
Usually organic raisins

2:45 P.M. (before track practice):
2/3 Labrada Lean Body bar

I’ll also usually go straight from practice to either the weight room or the track on H.I. days and get home around 6:30 P.M.ish, but 15 minutes prior to getting home I have my GO! (if I go track and then weight room I usually have a GO! after both) then about 45 minutes-an hour after GO! have:
1 cap Usana Mega Antioxidant and two caps Usana multimineral
3/4 scoop low carb GROW! in 6-8 oz. organic yogurt
~3 oz. organic frozen berries

8:30 P.M.:
Usually about 6-8 ounces of game, organic chicken, or fish. Fish is usually cooked in a little butter and olive oil, all are usually with a small condiment.
A vegetable serving about half the time

~30 minutes later:
~3 oz. salad w/ about 1 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil + balsalmic vinegar and apple cider vinegar

9:30 P.M.:
3 caps ZMA and…
15-16 oz. stir fried frozen mixed vegetables or spinach cooked in ~3/4 tbsp. olive oil (well, that I consume at least) + ~1 1/2 tbsp. almond butter + ~ 2 tbsp. coconut oil

10:10-10:20 P.M. (right before bed):
3 scoops low carb GROW! in water
2 tbsp. flax seed oil w/ 400 I.U. vit. E
If I’m feeling run down additional vit. C

There you have it! One big change was getting rid of smoothies which I felt broke down the fruit in a way that was not positive.

Your diet looks good. Way better than mine. Well thought out as well. How much does this cost a month? Seems like it’d be pretty expensive with all the organic stuff and supplements.

It works out to about 25 dollars a day. However, I don’t have a car, don’t buy CDs or DVDs, don’t buy beer or weed, wear old, cheap clothes, and don’t go out much so…

you dont worry about the veggie’s interfearing with the zma?you have posted you take them together?

I don’t notice that much of a difference than when taking ZMA alone and I think getting the veggies in is more important.