The Moscow challenge

What do people think about the Moscow challenge and the money involved?
A certain notable european meet-director has voiced his consern over not knowing where the money comes from and who the organizers are.
The website says the british Stellar-Group are involved.

Moscow Challenge

Another win for Gatlin. Is he this years most consistent runner ,injury and all?

1 5 GATLIN Justin 82 USA
2 7 CHAMBERS Dwain 78 GBR
3 2 MONTGOMERY Tim 75 USA
4 4 CAPEL John 78 USA
5 8 WILLIAMS Bernard 78 USA
6 1 JOHNSON Joshua 76 USA
7 3 COLLINS Kim 76 SKN
8 6 FREDERICKS Frankie 67 NAM

Impressive win for Gatlin! :cool:

Too bad there is no wind data so it’s hard to make any conclusion. The results for all events are so poor I would think the weather was very bad. If this is the case Gatlin blew everyone away and ran the equivalent of a sub 10 … or maybe everyone is already training for next season and were just here for an appearance fee … doubtful with the amount of money involved. Lol, do you think Gatlin might have planned his peak for this date since he wasn’t going to the WC? Smartass. :cool: :cool: :cool: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: He earned more money in one race then the rest of his peers combined during the whole season.

With the amount of money he won in this race, what can we expect from him next year, mid-9.80’s? given he uses it for recovery and training purposes. :slight_smile:

Gatlin triumphs in Moscow

Gatlin picked up a huge bonus for his win
American Justin Gatlin claimed his second major win of the year with victory in the men’s 100m at the Moscow Challenge on Saturday.
The 60m world indoor champion landed $500,000 for his win, one of the richest prizes in the history of the sport.

Gatlin won in 10.05 seconds with Britain’s Dwain Chambers second in 10.18 picking up $150,000.

“I don’t know how I will spend it. I am still thinking about it,” admitted the 21-year-old American.

World record-holder Tim Montgomery took third place in 10.19 with world champion Kim Collins back in sixth.

American Chryste Gaines beat France’s Christine Arron in the women’s 100m, with world champion Kelli White finishing third.

Gaines was an impressive winner, clocking 10.98 seconds to finish well ahead of Arron, while White - who was booed by the crowd - finished in 11.21.

The World Champion was also jeered at last week’s World Athletics final in Monaco following her positive test for a stimulant in Paris - and she could yet lose both her sprint gold medals.

Olympic and world champion Maria Mutola maintained her unbeaten season in the 800m, coasting to victory in one minute 58.82 seconds.

Mutola, who won $1m earlier in September by winning the Golden League jackpot for triumphing at all six Golden League meetings beat Mina Ait Hammou of Morocco.

World champion Christian Olsson won the triple jump with a 17.34m effort, ahead of Walter Davis of the USA who leapt 16.91.

two things from the 100:

1. What was the track conditions? Im just itching for more sub 10 performances and I’m afraid i wont be seeing any in a while.
    2)What happend to Kim Collins? Did he peak at Wc?

Little more detail:

MOSCOW – Justin Gatlin of the United States won $500,000 in the 100 meters at the Moscow Challenge on Saturday, celebrating one of the richest prizes in his sport as he crossed the line ahead of Britain’s Dwain Chambers.

World record holder Tim Montgomery was third, and world champion Kim Collins finished sixth.

Gatlin won in 10.05 seconds, his arms open as he hit the line, knowing the jackpot belonged to him. Chambers was next in 10.18 and earned $150,000. The other racers shared the rest of the $1 million purse.

“I don’t know how I will spend it,” said Gatlin, the winner of this year’s 60-meter world indoor title. “I am still thinking about it.”

Montgomery was timed in 10.19 on a night when temperatures dipped to 45 degrees.

“The guys were just too quick,” he said.

Added Collins: “We never had a chance.”

Few races have had a bigger purse. In 1997, Donovan Bailey won $1 million in a 150-meter showdown with America’s Michael Johnson. Haile Gebrselassie earned as much last year by setting a world best at 10,000 meters on a road course in Qatar.

Chryste Gaines dominated the women’s 100, easily beating Christine Arron of France and world champion Kelli White.

Gaines, running in long tights because of the cold, finished in 10.98 seconds and won $75,000. The American beat Arron by 0.2 seconds. White finished in a mediocre 11.21.

“I’m done. I’m tired,” said White, who has been complaining about headaches and high blood pressure. “I’m not disappointed. My body has been hurting all over.”

White ruled out running during the indoor season. Next year, the indoor worlds will be held for the first time in an Olympic year, forcing many athletes to adapt their schedules. White says her feet are too sensitive for the indoor track.

Gaines, who also won the 100 at the World Athletics final in Monaco last week, was fastest out of the blocks and extended her lead.

“When you are hot, you are hot,” she said. “If you can beat the world champion, that is a compliment.”

World champion Hicham El Guerrouj fought off one of his toughest challenges of the season, barely pushing his chest in front of Paul Korir to win in 3:36.44, just 0.04 seconds ahead of the Kenyan.

Olympic and world champion Maria Mutola maintained her unbeaten streak in the 800 meters this season, winning in a leisurely 1 minute, 58.82 seconds. She, too, was affected by the sudden drop in temperatures and blustery winds. Mina Ait Hammou of Morocco finished second.

Mutola won $1 million this month by capturing the Golden League jackpot and added US$ 75,000 at this meet.

World champion Christian Olsson won the triple jump with a leap of 56 feet, 10½ inches. American Walter Davis was second at 55-5½.

The likes of Gatlin and Mutola shared the stage with the Moralny Kodeks rock band, opera singer Nikolai Baskov and the old Red Army choir during the four-hour program.

Hundreds of volunteers staged a show reminiscent of opening ceremonies of major events, and plenty of Russian officials made thinly disguised references to Moscow’s bid for the 2012 Olympics.

Interesting that the two athletes that won the 100s didn’t compete at Worlds. I guess this was their “worlds” and their preparation was geared as such.