The Gloop Diet

Does this look ok - it’s basically what I’ve been eating for about a year (except switched milk for whey pro ) and I’m feeling fine energy wise but I’m doing tempo 3 x a week and still about 12 - 14% BF -
would moving carbs to different times help -
all below portions leave me wanting just a bit more , I’m sure it’s what my bodies doing with the food than the amount I eat that won’t let my BF drop .

Breakfast 8.30
20g EAS Whey Pro 1 nana 3 x PB & marmalade/crispbread 1 multi vit 1 codliver oil cap 400ml Cranberry juice 2 cups weak black tea

Lunch 11.00
Fresh Veg Soup ( non-processed ) broccolli 30g tinned tuna 1 apple
Handful of mixed nuts

1 - 2.00   Coffee

Train 1 - 2.00 - 5.15
2 litres of Isostar - changing to 2 litres G - Push ( water on tempo days)

PW drink 4.45
20g EAS Whey Pro 1 nana 400ml Tropical & Cranberry juice

Dinner 6.15
Fresh Veg Soup (non-processed) mixed salad 30g tinned tuna mixed nuts

Snack 7.00
1 nana 1 apple

Supper 8.00
30g Grilled chicken breast in olive oil or 20g EAS Whey Pro ( sometimes cut on tempo days )

• 6 pints of water daily .

Saturday evening I have chicken / salad sandwiches plus a donut & some chocolate

Sunday Turkey Roast lunchtime and chicken / salad sandwiches again in the evening

I’m still confused regarding insulin response and lo & hi GI carbs to some extent - I read the stuff but it doesn’t go in lol - ask me about a hierachy of discourses in a modern realist text and I might get it .

drop the fruit juice, except possibly postworkout.

I had to drop the donuts and make each of my meals smaller in order to start loosing weight.:frowning: Mmmmm donuts.

gloops: im going to give feedback in the form of questions and some other statements:

Breakfast 8.30
20g EAS Whey Pro 1 nana 3 x PB & marmalade/crispbread 1 multi vit 1 codliver oil cap 400ml Cranberry juice 2 cups weak black tea

im guessing that nana is a banana? when i eat/drink something, i always think “nightmare, what is this doing for me and what is this doing to me?” what is the goal at this meal? and really at any meal? i tend to be (and maybe to a fault) a very systematic about my nutrition, everything is there for a reason. once you answer this, is there something you could substitute that could do the same job (-or better) and be more efficiant with your calories or provide you with more vit/min or phytochemicals?

Lunch 11.00
Fresh Veg Soup ( non-processed ) broccolli 30g tinned tuna 1 apple
Handful of mixed nuts

this meal looks good. im guessing tuna is packed in water?

1 - 2.00 Coffee

mmmm coffee

Train 1 - 2.00 - 5.15
2 litres of Isostar - changing to 2 litres G - Push ( water on tempo days)

good call, using G1 will make a huge difference, im looking forward to your feedback

PW drink 4.45
20g EAS Whey Pro 1 nana 400ml Tropical & Cranberry juice

again im assuming nana is a banana, you might want to wait 10 minutes of so, dont let the whole food get in the way of the absorbtion of the fluids? this could only make a marginal difference, if at all, but every little bit…and the fruit juice? if you are going to have it this is the meal but is there something else you could use? straight dextrose or maltodextrin powder mixed with the whey? or even (dare i say) gatorade? check the price on G4 from gpush, on its own isnt the best choice (its only carbs, electrolytes and anti-oxidants) but add some protein and you have a good recovery drink.

Dinner 6.15
Fresh Veg Soup (non-processed) mixed salad 30g tinned tuna mixed nuts

again pretty solid.

Snack 7.00
1 nana 1 apple

whats the purpose here? thats 200+ calories all from carbs pretty late in the day.

Supper 8.00
30g Grilled chicken breast in olive oil or 20g EAS Whey Pro ( sometimes cut on tempo days )

are you cooking in the oil? or grilling then adding the oil? i think the best way is to grill then add (?). why add the extra whey? why not eat a little more chicken breast?

• 6 pints of water daily .

Saturday evening I have chicken / salad sandwiches plus a donut & some chocolate

Sunday Turkey Roast lunchtime and chicken / salad sandwiches again in the evening

my thought overall is alot more carbs than i think you need or want while trying to lean out. personally i look at my carb sources and think what is this giving me other than carbs? thats why i have taken out all processed carbs (except surge post workout). bread? what does that do other than give you an easier way to shovel in your tuna/chck salid? its has been stripped of all natural goodness. take veggies over all carbs (except post workouts), then higher fiber fruits, then other fruit.

im not bashing on carbs, we need them, but make efficant use of them(meaning that if you are eating a source of carbs get in vit/min, fiber, phytochemicals at the same time). also, compare 100cals of bread compared to 100cals of veggies, look at the difference in sheer volume, this may help fill you up and take care of the “portions leave me wanting more”.

during training G1 is golden, but you need to keep your blood sugar levels undercontrol through the day, and do this by switching to more veggies, no processed carbs and making sure you get protein at every meal and snack.

also, you may want to bump up your EFAs, espically your omega 3s in the form of flax seed, flax oil, udo’s choice (which is a blend, but still pretty good)or some high grade fish oil. the fish oil caps are fine, but you need to take a pile of them (i think 15 caps) to equal 1 tbsp of oil, so it may be more cost effective to go with an oil.

hierachy of discourses in a modern realist text

this i have no idea what you are talking about here? like not even a clue. :wink:

I also have fruit juices post-workout sometimes. I thought the fact that they were refined made them faster acting then fructose. Apparently not. I guess they aren’t really very beneficial at any time.

Fruit juices aren’t bad postworkout. They also aren’t optimal. White grape juice and protein can be a pretty good poor man’s postworkout formula.

I wouldn’t consume fruit juice anywhere outside of postworkout.

marshall:

i agree, if you are going to have fruit juice, you are right, thats the time. as for never having fruit juice, thats just me and my preferance. dont you find it too sweet post workout? i find its too sweet most times, well it does go well with vodka, but really what doesnt.

on another note, has anyone else used grapefruit juice to help with the absorbtion of other substances? ive seen this in medical journals where they reccomend to help absorb oral medication.

OK this is what I’m gonna try as from Monday

Breakfast 8.30 20g EAS Whey Pro 2 banana’s 1 multi vit 1 codliver oil cap 2 cups weak black tea Handful of mixed nuts

Lunch 11.00 Fresh Veg Soup ( non-processed ) broccolli / cougettes 30g tinned tuna 1 apple 1 banana Handful of mixed nuts

1 - 2.45   Coffee

Train 1 - 2.00 2 litres G - Push ( water on tempo days)

PW drink 4.45 20g EAS Whey Pro 400ml Tropical & Cranberry juice

5.15   1 banana

Dinner 6.15 Fresh Veg Soup (non-processed) mixed salad 30g tinned tuna mixed nuts

Supper 8.15 30g Grilled chicken breast or tinned tuna with ultra lowfat lowcarb garlic sauce

10.15  Possibly 20g EAS Whey Pro 

12.00-12.30  Bed 

Saturday / Sunday as b 4
All tuna in spring water - Will add flax oil
chicken is just lightly painted with olive oil b 4 grilling . r there too many nana’s ? lol

After receiving my most recent essay back I’m not sure if I do know what a hierachy of discourses in a modern realist text is after all lol .

Many thanks for the advice

Thanks a lot Marshall and Nightmare.

I pretty much agree, nightmare.

I’ve tried the grapefruit juice thing - no apparent benefits for me, and three words : searing stomach pain.

I am a surge devotee

Gloop,

Superdrug sells glucose powder: 500g for 89p.

What I do, is buy a load of it and fill up and empty protein tub and store it in there.

I mix this with my protein drinks for my post-workout drink. I also add half a soluble Vit.C. (1g) - Helps a little with the taste.

But, I do use Surge post weight workouts.

Finally,

mmmmmmmmmm Coffee.

marshall

classsic line “searing stomach pain”. i almost spit protein drink all over the computer screen.

thanks for the heads up!:sing:

Oorwullie, I use a similar glucose/protein mix. Do you take it after ab workouts?

Its awfully sweet. By taking it regularly (e.g once or twice a day) is there any chance of heightening the risk of diabetes? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks Clemson

Ally,

Just to comfirm what Clemson has said, I only have my post workout drink after and intense workout.

After tempo - I will have a solid meal. Containing Protein, Carbs, and Minimal fat.

Ab circuit is done first thing in the morning - my breakfast, again, is a solid meal containing protein, carbs and minimal fat.

I follow John Berardi’s dietary advices.

Any questions, just ask.

considerations for pro/carb intake:

post carb drinks are more important after moderate to high intensity to aid amino acid uptake or after moderate to long duration when glycogen replenishment may be more imortant, (effectively as Clemson states).

post exercise pro synthesis has shown to be highest when protein (6-10g) has been consumed 1 hour pre exercise. (presumably 20-30g 3 hours before is equivalent).

If protein drinks are consumed immediately after trainging, carb absorbtion will be slowed, and some of the amino acids will be converted to glucose.

Taking the above into account I use the following. For low-moderate intense ex for short-moderate duration a meal may be fine afterwards. For more demanding training small amount of protein 1h before training, a carb drink immediately after, and a carb/pro drink 1 hour afterwards.

For breakfast it may be better to take in low/moderate and high glycaemic carbs and quick absorbing protein (whey drink or yoghurt) to quickly stop catabolism and promote anabolism (the low/moderate carbs prevent blood sugar from dropping too quick although the intake of pro with the carbs will help prevent this anyway).

i trian first thing in the morning and i use to consume a drink mix of 30gm carb and 20 gms of protein. often about 3/4 of the way through my workouts i would notice a drop in attention span and would get the dreaded “1000 yard stare”. i would really have to dig in and focus to get through my training.

i dropped the carbs out of the mix, so its either 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or 20-25 gms of pure protein and it been a huge change. energy levels are alot more level through-out the workout and my recovery has been better (energy wise) with less DOMS.

Yeh training first thing, breakfast has to be changed. Either small amount of carbs and/or quick absorbed protein and a 5-10% carb solution drank slowly throughout training can help.

Check the Surge thread.