The China Study:

yes to the bold. :smiley:

that is a very simplistic view.

Regardless of what any middle class WASP says in a lot of cases there are socio economic factors as well…if a 1.5ltre of coke cost 99c and 2litres of milk is nearly 3x that? which do you buy on a low income?

Is it simply chance that the lowest income earners are also the ones with the greatest obesity issues?

Many health disparities in the United States are linked to inequalities in education and income. This review focuses on the relation between obesity and diet quality, dietary energy density, and energy costs. Evidence is provided to support the following points. First, the highest rates of obesity occur among population groups with the highest poverty rates and the least education. Second, there is an inverse relation between energy density (MJ/kg) and energy cost ($/MJ), such that energy-dense foods composed of refined grains, added sugars, or fats may represent the lowest-cost option to the consumer. Third, the high energy density and palatability of sweets and fats are associated with higher energy intakes, at least in clinical and laboratory studies. Fourth, poverty and food insecurity are associated with lower food expenditures, low fruit and vegetable consumption, and lower-quality diets. A reduction in diet costs in linear programming models leads to high-fat, energy-dense diets that are similar in composition to those consumed by low-income groups. Such diets are more affordable than are prudent diets based on lean meats, fish, fresh vegetables, and fruit. The association between poverty and obesity may be mediated, in part, by the low cost of energy-dense foods and may be reinforced by the high palatability of sugar and fat. This economic framework provides an explanation for the observed links between socioeconomic variables and obesity when taste, dietary energy density, and diet costs are used as intervening variables. More and more Americans are becoming overweight and obese while consuming more added sugars and fats and spending a lower percentage of their disposable income on food.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/79/1/6

I don’t buy the obese because of being poor thing (though lack of intelligence, yes). I know many poor college students who are not obese and live pretty well (health wise) on very low (beyond poverty level) funds.

college isn’t the real world

Yes calorie dense crappy food is a lot cheaper than “good” food. But if you really want to save money and keep the weight off drink water instead of soda and eat less crappy food for extra-mega savings. You can eat 6 dollar menu sandwiches from McDonalds and be set for a day. Trouble is most people eat 6 dollar menu items each with an order of fries and soda.

For those of you on a real tight budget I recommend day old-donuts at the supermarket (often .10 or less):wink:

I dont buy into the poor factor myself - uneducated about food yes.

For me, its way cheaper to eat healthy than it is to eat crap.
Save $$ by not eating at mcdonalds in the 1st place, organise your self and take your lunch with you. Ham,cheese, salid on multigrain roll might cost like $1-2 to make at home, v’s $5.50+ if you buy one made.
We now have our shopping budget down to $100 for a basic week to $200 includiing a few wks supply of meat and other items that you use regulary but are not food. And that is to feed 3 adults and 2 kids - and one of these adults is a 19yr old boy (eats like double what i eat - easy)
$200 divide 7days = $28.50
$28.50 divide only 3 meals = $9.52
$9.52 divide into 5people = $1.90 per meal

half that for the $100 days!!

We might buy 1-2 small packets of biscuits, maybe a block of chololate?, small tub of ice cream and some Mint Chews. Tis about the extent of Junk food. Rest is good clean food. Cheap as.

MacDonalds
$7.50 i think for a Meal x 5people x that by 3meals per day, x that by 7days wk = $787
Just buy a burger $5 thats $525 per wk…

Save money - DONT EAT OUT

I agree that many are highly uneducated about food. I am in shock nearly every time I see the food log of a person who doesn’t know much about nutrition guidelines.

I no longer buy this these days

The biggest people i know are Islanders, and female islanders at that. Eat eat eat

Followed by people who work at desk jobs and do as little movement during the day as possable, i have seen and they tell me they drive around car parks for 10min to get a closer car park so as to walk less!! -= these people are either just on national average wage or above

followed by Operators in factorys where they have a Canteen on site (high incomes and eating high fat lard inriched foods which are on site and open 6am to 4pm) These guys are above National average wage

The more disposable income, the more you can afford Mcdonalds meal deals etc etc.

I find Trades poeple are typically smaller, higher work loads during the day and typically they are the ones you actually do see in the gym working out too. Even if they do eat a lot, they burn it off.

Young females i am noticing a hell of a lot this last say 2yrs here are porking right up around here!! Not sure whats going on there but it seems across the board.

People over 60 - retired, dont seem to have put the Lard on like the younger folks have. And most of them are Asset rich and Cash poor

Then there are people like my Bro for instance, Super smart, Super rich and educated, who realise Diet and exercise is the key, can afford other people to Supply 7meals per day all calorie controlled. Even that, compared to Mcdonalds every day, is a bargain at $120 per wk per person. Easy as, yet his misses who also earns big $$ and is smart, cannot see, or wants to see, must just be too lazy? she is massive!! Too many canteens and too much $$ at her disposal and no self control?

Those on the dole - they cannot afford junk food, If they drink they would barely afford any food… let alone if they smoke…

Fatness is getting out of control.
Exercise you lazy pricks. :stuck_out_tongue:

You are right–normal people could not live off of milk, eggs, chicken, broccoli/spinach/etc., and fresh fruit. It really isn’t that expensive and a lot cheaper than many bags of chips, bottles of soda, etc. Hell, it cost me extra $$ to eat shit food.

You guys clearly aren’t dollar menuaires. Who’s up for some plumpynut?

Hahahah,
plumpynut… what on earth is that?? Yeah ill have some:D

Best I stop here before this gets outta hand you guys carry on and see how many sweeping generalisations you can get on this :rolleyes:

haha, all blonds are thin n sexy!! :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/19/60minutes/main3386661.shtml

plumpynut for the victory

i dont really get the uneducated about food thing. where i live (uk) the media are constantly talking about what to do to get healthy telling people that they should eat less fat etc and moaning about the obesity levels in britain. i dunno what its like in america but surely everyone knows that vegetables and things are good, fast food is bad.

Ask most people in the 80s/early 90s and they would tell you fat is the devil and go eat a bunch of foods packed with HFCS and more recently people will tell you carbs are the problem and then go over eat on transfats. Now transfats are the problem, so replace it with something else… you get the idea. It goes without saying that overeating ANYTHING is unhealthy for the most part. If you get fat off of “clean” foods you are still not healthy.

It is also following the info that you have, something most people do not.

i know a lot of people who either or all

• eat till full
  • eat till all food is gone - be that they were full awhile ago!
  • eat a meal, then complain that they are NOW hungry!
  • are that hungry, dont care at all what they eat, so long as they eat