Testosterone and endurance training

Here´s something that probably won´t create too much of a stir on a sprint forum, but maybe show it to your pals who do lots of mileage to get/stay lean.

Any endurance or ex-endurance guys want to comment?

Original Article

A. C. Hackney, E. Szczepanowska and A. M. Viru:

Basal testicular testosterone production in endurance-trained men is suppressed

Eur J Appl Physiol, DOI 10.1007/s00421-003-0794-6

URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00421-003-0794-6

Online publication: February 28, 2003

carson:

"Any endurance or ex-endurance guys want to comment? "

where you talking about me? hey im not affraid to admit it, im proud of my endurance sports merit badges, and yes i have some input to toss in…

in my previous life as a triathlete, i ran into this problem alot, esp in the winter months when i would get it double barreled. 1-during the dec-april is when triathletes develop their “base” meaning, there are many long slow miles put in for all 3 sports (weekly training hours would climb over 25+ during peak weeks and up to 80% done in the low heart rate zones) 2-being in Canada and not liking cross country skiing, i did all of the hours inside (computrainer, lifecycle, treadmill, pool).

what i mean by that is take the study carson has posted and put that with this one taken from JB’s site:

"In a study examining the effects of season on total Testosterone levels, men with average T levels of 666 ng/dl (normal levels are between 300-1000 ng/dl) were studied during the months of April, July, October, January, and April again.(21) It appears that T levels increase about 12% during July and 15% during October and return to April levels throughout the rest of the winter. So remember, summer and early fall may be the time to start a growth phase since T will be the highest. In addition, the winter might be a nice time to cycle prohormones or other Testosterone boosters in an effort to keep the T up to summer highs.

One side note. No one knows why T levels fluctuate this way, but researchers speculate that T levels may be regulated by light-dark cycles. If this is true, then perhaps exposing yourself to extra sunlight throughout the winter months may keep T levels up. Who knows, a little extra winter tanning might even help to keep the T up, but that’s just speculation. Give it a try. If your T doesn’t go up, then at least you’ll have a nice tan."

when i decided to cross over to endurance sports i was around 180@5’9, needless to say is pretty big for an endurance guy, taking weight off at first was easy but then hitting and hanging in the high 160’s, coaches encouraaged me not to even walk by the weight room, never mind go in… ya when it came to T levels, i never had a chance.

where i noticed it the most was in my mental state. i would get pretty depressed after the season was over (sept-nov) and then once i started training again, it would usually get worse once the training volume got to productive levels.

once the training volume would level off (or even decrease), the intensity went up and the positive weather change, come spring/summer, things were totally different. my mood was way better and that youthful energy that comes with higher T levels was everywhere.

i wasnt as emerged in world of “performance nutrition” at that time, and although i was using fluid replacement, protein powders and multi vita/min, i wasnt in touch with tribulus or zma, although i wish i had been. its funny how with athletes T levels are a very touchy subject, here at the store 60% of my customers are endurance athletes, with the majority of them training for ironman/half ironman distance races and when i throw the idea of their T level being depressed, they get real defensive. then throw in the fear of the word “testosterone”, soon as you mention it to some people, they immediately think the worst ie “what is this guy trying to sell me here?”

Pro-hormones wil do nothing for you except get you busted.

sorry i should have cut that part out of the quote. i agree with you 100% and would suggest trib or zma over prohormones anyday.

The prohormones will depress natural T levels, not keep them up.

i posted the first study on another forum (a triathlon specific board) this morning and i am very interested in seeing the reaction of the endurance athletes (read that ones that are still racing, not retired like myself). i will let you know what kind of feedback (if any, they may choose to ignore the whole thing) i get back.

Along these lines, who gets the dates after the meet- the sprinters or the distance guys? -And- who gets the SECOND date?

Surely you’re not referring to "Bobby’ (Being from Boston and all)

“Along these lines, who gets the dates after the meet- the sprinters or the distance guys? -And- who gets the SECOND date?” Charlie

:D:D:D LOL!!
Charlie, I guess your theory proves to be true. Jenny can vouch for that!

On a more serious note, I wonder if T suppression is nearly as prevalent with top distance runners who have good programs? I doubt it.