Tergat serious crash

THE NATION (Kenya Daily)

Tergat in hospital after Eldoret crash

Ex-marathoner Moses Tanui visits former world athletics champion Paul Tergat in hospital on December 9, 2010. Photo/JARED NYATAYA

By OUMA WANZALAPosted Thursday, December 9 2010 at 18:37

Former world marathon record holder Paul Tergat was on Thursday involved in a road accident at Bayete area about 30 kilometres from Eldoret town along Nakuru-Eldoret highway.

Tergat was heading to Eldoret for the Moi University graduation ceremony where he was to receive a honorary doctorate degree of science.

Speaking from his bed at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital’s memorial wing, Tergat said he was trying to overtake a lorry which had broken down at the centre when he collided with another lorry coming from the opposite direction.

“I cannot remember what happened but I just found myself in hospital,” Tergat, who looked exhausted and who was alone in the Mercedes Benz vehicle, said.

He said that even though he was in a stable condition, he felt some pain in both legs.

“I had just spoken to one Dr Rotich, a lecturer at the Moi University and who was to accompany me to Nairobi today for Soya awards and that was my last call,” he recalled.

Moses Tanui, a two time Boston Marathon winner, said Tergat was set to be flown to Nairobi for treatment following his family request.

Tanui said x-rays and scans had been done on Tergat who indicated that he was fine.

Tergat was later flown to Nairobi for further observation at the Forces Memorial Hospital.

Lucky he was in a Mercedes and not in a Getz…

When I drove with him to the crest of the Rift Valley back in 99, he was driving this massive land cruiser type of vehicle. But a head-on with a truck will sort out the most expensive vehicles I imagine. Paul is a good guy, a great host and an ornament to Kenyan sport and society. Hope he recoveries fully and quickly.