tempo runs

new to the board, what are tempo runs?

Hey, welcome to the board.

Tempo is runs up to 300m at 65-75% of best time over a given distance.

reggc,
welcome to the forum…
many topics have been extensively covered on these boards…
Before you ask any questions please use the search function at the top left of your screen to see if your question can be answered. If it has not then feel free to post or if you do not quite understand someting do the same.
enjoy!

I use to be annoyed when people posted the same questions…but reanalyzing what you do and why you it sometimes helps.

i agree Clemson…
but i think the best thing to do is for new memebers to take a look in the archives and ask questions so we can elabrote on instead of starting from scratch.
you agree?

yes…

Update…

I was thinking about Tempo runs and the response it has. I think tempo work is only effective if long warm-ups are used. And your adrenals are fresh. Case study.

I have an athlete that does two tempo sessions a day to split the work in half.

If he does 10 x 100y with 30 seconds rest this workout takes 8 minutes. 8 minutes of Cardio? I am a little confused why I prescribed it. Writing this down on paper looks like nothing. But with a long warm-up of 30-45 minutes of various movements with long breaks to talk about rims or women can be part of the low intensity work. Ideas or comments.

Clemson,
As a matter of fact that’s what I did yesterday (without talking about rims or women). Usually, I don’t do much of a warm-up for tempo (just some core work to begin heating up the body), since the tempo work itself isn’t run much harder than a warm-up intensity. Yesterday, I decided to add a reduced version of my speed day warm-up, which still took about 35 mins. I ended up moving to the pool after the warm-up because my lower legs were too sore to run, but the difference in overall energy expenditure from adding the warm-up was pretty significant. In addition to preparing the body for the workout, I fully agree that long warm-ups contribute to general fitness, even if the warm-up is low density. If I remember correctly, Bompa makes this point in Theory and Methodology of Training.

As a follow up point, I realized that my warm-ups on speed days were longer and more demanding than my tempo workouts and that I would get a better workout on tempo days just doing the speed day warm-ups versus the tempo circuit by itself.

I usually have two components to my speed day warm-ups. Warm-up 1 takes about 40-45 mintes and is the general low intensity portion (jogging, stretching, core work, technqiue drills), and Warm-up 2 takes about 15 min and consists of warm-up accelerations in spikes (30-50m). I decided to structure the tempo workouts like an extended speed day warm-up, with the tempo circuit replacing the Warm-up 2 accelerations.

Charlie or Clemson, does this make sense?

talking about length of warmup or speed days, i became curious. I have the same warmup regardless. My warmup could last anywhere from 10-20 minutes. It all depends. The day of a meet i stretch the warm up out. My coach used to tell me to warmup right until my race. I saw this wore me out. So i stretched out my warmpup and just stayed lose ten minutes prior to race time. Any comments?

Flash,
Are you going to include dynamic stretching in warmup 1 before tempo? Also, what technique drills do you do?
Thanks

My warm up is the same on track. My pool sessions require a warm up. Something I will need to work on.

Thanks

Pete,
My warm-up stretches are static and easy. I use them at regular intervals during the warmup to test range. As I get warmer, the range increases. As far as dynamic stretching is concerned, the techniques drills themselves have a significant dynamic flexibility component. I usually do butt kicks, A skips, B skips and A runs. I don’t do any dynamic stretches per se.

I don’t do any stretching during running warm up per se. Bodyweight exercises and drills as well as mobility work (eg arm swings).

I will add easy strecthing if I am particularly tight - but it seems to go after warmup.

I do stretching on hips, lower back area after warm up. But not much.

Did’nt Charlie’s tempo days include low intensity med ball and some general strength(pushups, situps)?
I would think a tempo session of only 10x100 would be a waste of time. If my running volume was that low in my tempo session I would add a lot of general strength execises. I like some of Dan’s stuff, think they go well with a low volume tempo session.

theone can you elaborate on what Dan Paif does or where I can find about what he does? I’m curoius to know what some of his warm-up and conditioning stuff is.Thanks

Originally posted by Terminator2
theone can you elaborate on what Dan Paif does or where I can find about what he does? I’m curoius to know what some of his warm-up and conditioning stuff is.Thanks

http://www.drtrack.com/CoachingEducation/SpecificStrength.shtml

Thanks Flash!

THEONE, I like the avatar.

RE: med ball
I use the med ball for my ab exercises (v situps, russian twists). I fold the ab work into the warm up in sets of 120 (4 exercises x 30 reps). 360 reps on speed days, 600 on tempo.

Thanks theone, Does anyone know how to do Yogis-Hamstring Dev. exercise?That exercise was listed on http://www.drtrack.com/CoachingEducation/SpecificStrength.shtml