Tempo for basketball

How can you do aerobic work-out in the basketball when you have only small in-door field, and there is -10C outside (too cold)?

Greg Brittenham (1996) in Complete conditioning for basketball wrote:
“To develop solid aerobic base, engage in continuous activity at submaximal effort for 20 to 60 minutes. You can still use the drills [basketball] to work you aerobic system. Simple decrease the intensity, execute the drills over a longer duration, and shorten the rest interval between sets” (page 13.)

I have two dissagreements:

1. I am not a proponent of continuous running over prolonged time with low int for purpose of developing aerobic capacity in team sports. It can be used, but more emphasis should be put on tempo work (interval training).
  2. Doing basketball drills at sub-maximal intensity is detrimental. If you do them, do it right! Doing cutting, shooting, passing and agility work under some certain intensity threshold can lead to deadaptation. Do them at >95% or not at all.

So how can you develop aerobic base without running in circles? Can you use,lets say, skipping with slow forward movement (at <75%) for 20-30sec? Or can you use Gregs drills at low int (wich I dont approve)?
Ideas needed…

• Intervals on treadmills and bikes
  • Easy tempo runs back and forth on the court (30m) but broken up with push-ups, squats, abs so that there is not too much back-and-forth which is monontonous
  • Incorporate med-ball pushes/throws into the runs at low intensity as shown in Charlie’s GPP video

We have a post player that did long runs (against my advice). Guess what - stress fracture in the foot from running on the road. So guess what the physio wants them to do for rehab - long walk run program on the track (geez - nobody takes my advice - which was shorter controlled, qualitative runs on a sprung hardwood floor with other work capacity activities interspersed progressing to backward and lateral work). I don’t understand how long runs prepare someone for b-ball.

Tnx a lot NumberTwo!

We do not have acces to tredmills…

Med/balls pushes and throws are great for warm-up (and a good exercise for someone with very low work capacity) but I dont think it could be used for purpose of aerobic capacity development (too low int.)

About “back and forth” (30m), can it be done this way:
4x “back and forth” 30m (=120m) @<75%
10xpush ups(narrow/wide) + walk back (30m)

4x “back and forth” 30m lateral-side step-shuffle (=120m) @<75%
10xlunges + walk back (30m)

4x “back and forth” 30m carioca (=120m) @<75%
~20 abs (or 3-4x8sec isometric ab work) + walk back (30m)

30m skipping (or drum-major, buttkicks…)
10xpush ups(narrow/wide) + walk back (30m)

walk one-circle (~120m) and repeat 3-4x

Is 30m walk for rest between rep too short? Is it better to put abs, push-ups, lunges in rest between sets than reps?
NumberTwo, what about skipping for 30m (20-30secs)? What about “not doing” low int. basketball drills for aerobic development (as adviced by Brittenham? What about my opinion on this?
BTW, our floor is not so soft(sprung hardwood), sometimes its linoleum… TNX again on tips…

I could not disagree more on this…let your athletes gradually build up to 600/1000 low intensity throws at a steady rate of say 30-50 throws per minute,three to four times per week and trust me:if the program is adequately designed,you’ll see their general (aerobic) fitness grow and put in place a more than adequate base for any high intensity demand to follow…

4x “back and forth” 30m lateral-side step-shuffle (=120m) @<75%
10xlunges + walk back (30m)
4x “back and forth” 30m carioca (=120m) @<75%
~20 abs (or 3-4x8sec isometric ab work) + walk back (30m)

I don’t think you should use defensive slides for the purpose of tempo, even if they are only 75% as they would produce plenty of lactic acid for such longer durations. Also cariocas seem a bit unnecessary.
I think I saw an interview with Harvey Newton somewhere, where he reconmended high volume medball work and submaximal sprinting for basketball players

I think we are thinking on different thing… It is imposible to do 30-50 throws /min in the exercise I have in mind! I am thinking on the exercise on GPP DVD where Mrs. Francis (correct me if I am wrong) is tossing (throwing) mball in easy fascion, run to it, pick it up and throw it with different technique, and again run to pick it up, and so on…

Ok! This is the same thing as I proposed, that specific basketball drills should be done at >95% or none at all! But I made the mistake…
So basicaly, for aerobic (general) basketball development it is suggested to do tempo work interspread with easy mball throws (wall, partner) and calisthenics (push-ups, abs, etc) ! What about easy jumps (zig-zag, over the ball in place etc), stepping on a bench?

DUXX,
The throws that can be used for aeribic conditioning can be the ones done against the wall. Try this.

Stand 3-5 feet from the wall with a 10 pound medball and try this circuit.

Chest Pass x 10-20
Overhead Throws x 10-20
Shotput throws x 10 each arm
Side Throws x 10 each side
Back to Wall x 10 each side
Between legs x 10

Go though that continuously, rest 90" and repeat 2-3 times.

Also this jump circuit can be done for aerobic conditioning. However since there basketball players Im not so sure if you want to overload them with more jumping than their already doing…

IN-PLACE JUMP CIRCUIT
3 x 10 Lung Jumps
3 x 10 Tuck Jumps
3 x 20 Butt Kicks
3 x 10 Lateral Squat Jumps
3 x 10 Straddle Jumps

TNX quick…

What about creating some poligon, running with ball, easy zig-zag, shooting, without ball…

Plus, have a look at this, in order to be able to complete a bball game in your best ability, you should be able to run 1 km in 3 min -this is what I’ve been told by a physio/coach(/chef/lawyer/teacher, etc).

As irrelevant as it seems, it goes around a lot… Oh well!

Go outside jogging. -10C isn’t too cold. -30C is.

:slight_smile: This winter is going to be a tough one…