Tempo and sets of 4

I have a quick question. I see tempo runs that are designed on this forum broken up into sets of 4 reps. For example if you are doing a volume of 3000 meters the runs would be broken up into
100+200+100+100
100+100+100+200
and so on

Why do you break it up into sets of 4 reps?
If an athlete can do 10 straight reps while maintaining speed can you do something like 10 straight reps in a set, then another 10?

Thanks for your feedback.

I’ve done sets of up to 10x100s with soccer, upwards of 4x(10x100) with my college kids.

I’ve also done 600 breakdowns (600,500,400,300,200,100) upwards of that x2.

I like to use a wide range of tempo for soccer, and may lean more towards the second option for those who have endurance based tests during the first week of practice.

I just wonder if doing the 4 reps per set is too easy. Any thoughts on that?

Ever try a double big circuit (big circuit x 2?) not easy

In those sets of 4 as you describe it, the break between reps is a 50m walk/jog, while the break between sets is usually a 100m walk.
Still sound too easy?

It just seemed that way. I did about 10-12 reps of 110 in a row at 75% max speed. The heart rate definitely got up so it was a workout. I just wonder if we added a 2 minute rest every 4 or 5 reps if that would get too easy. Our rest was 50 seconds between reps. Any ideas. I would like to make sure we are doing these right.

what is a double big circuit?

Take 30sec rest OR perform 25 situps run 110 perform 25 pushups run 110 etc…

I have found a 50 walk to be about 35 seconds, and 100 walk to be about 1:15.

Big circuit is
1+1+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+2+2+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+1+1++
---------------Continue with normal rest again as follows
1+1+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+2+2+1++
1+2+1+1++
1+1+1

This takes about 50 minutes to complete and is what I require my college soccer players to be able to finish before the end of their summer. Those that can do this report more fit than the others on their team.

We start with big circuit usually add one set a week for 5 weeks until we get to double big circuit. If they struggle making it, we stay at that set until they are more comfortable and then move on.

We do this or an equivalent distance 3x/wk early summer and 2x late summer, leaving the other day to perform their specific fitness test for their team.

Very interesting. I like it. A couple questions. Are you soccer players men or women? WHat kind of volume for women vs men soccer players?

If you have a player that wants to get stronger and faster during the same time, how do you fit all the in during a 5-6 day workout week? Thanks all for you help.

Is 50 seconds too long a rest for college soccer players?

I use this for both males and women field players. Keepers would use less, unless their team fitness test required something like this.

50 seconds might be a good starting point, but I’d try to move down towards 30-35 sec over time. A progression might be to do a big circuit with 50 sec rest moving towards 35 sec and then adding volume.

My soccer players will do 2 HI sessions./wk and 3-4 running sessions. As summer ends, they have to begin doing two sessions a day, usually HI in morning, tempo at night on those days, and 2 tempo sessions, with volume split in half.

I aim for about 4000m of tempo per session x 3 = 12,000m tempo/wk per CF’s recommendation.

I’ll be gone for 5 days so if you have more questions be patient! :wink:

Forgive my ignorance. What is HI training? High Intensity? HITT?

HI= speed, plyos, wts etc (high intensity/CNS demanding)

I was looking at some of Mike boyle’s stuff. How about a 4 day program of strength, 3 days fitness, 2 days speed, 2 days agility. This would total 5 days of working out over a week. so 4 days strength, on those same 4 days you do 2 days, speed, and 2 days agility. Then on three days during the week you do fitness.

who is this training for? What else will be done during this time (games, practices, skill sessions)?

Your spilt could work:

Mon/Thur: Speed/UB
Tue/Fri: Agility/LB
Wed/Sat: Fitness (Tempo or Shuttles etc)
Sun: Rest/Recovery

I would alt the above spilt with something like this every couple weeks/months:

Mon: speed/agility/UB
Tue: fitness
Wed: speed/agility/LB
Thur: fitness OR rest
Fri: speed/agility/UB - higher reps
Sat: fitness OR rest