technique problems with short sprints

I’m not a sprinter and not competing in an athletic sport.
I am into strength training and have been doing 40 meter sprints to get more conditioned and athletic, since I am starting to see the value of this.

Im 5,10, about 235 17 % bf. Strength is coming back from an injury

DL about 170 kg5
high bar squat 5
150 kg
this is increasing weekly

last (3rd) workout I did 12*40 meter at about 80%. the walking back was the rest period.

I’ve noticed a few things:

I run heavy. I have read to run on the balls of your feet but have difficulty with this.
-are dot drills a good way to improve this, or slight hill sprints, just a matter of time? other suggestions?

My knees don’t get up very high. when I focus more on this I have the feeling my pace slows and I push the ground less hard.

• should I keep focussing on this, and will it autocorrect itself? Is it because I don’t run all out.

the day after, my low back, hams obliques and especially gluteus medius are tight. I find the lower back and gluteus medius soreness a bit strange. It is just the third workout so I see this getting less but is it normal to be stiff/sore, after a workout as above. Do sprinters tend to be sore in these places after a workout?

a lot of questions, hope someone will answer them.

I now see the other forum so If this has to be moved I understand.

Stop pushing on the ground hard to be powerful, It must feel effortless, light on your feet. Start by doing light A and B, fast high knee while been as light as you can on your feet stay upright.

NEVER FOCUS ON YOUR KNEE WHILE YOU RUN, EXCEPT MAYBE IN THE FIRST 10M. After that It will make you slower by slowing the time you apply force on the ground again (reduce stride frequency). Focus on your arms 90degree at the elbow pump fast from pocket to chin.

gluteus medius tight = normal works hard in sprint to keep your hips horizontal to the ground with each strides. Power action = more work than u are used to.

lower back must not be…stretch psoas muscle + glutes get them flexible 1min static stretch 2-6 times a day. LIGHT PNF PWO.

BEST PLACE TO BE SORE = GLUTES

never force power on the ground and stride length while u run…PERIOD

tnx for your advice. from your post I it seems that I should mainly focus on moving my limbs light and fast as possible.

following is a bit unclear for me.

light A and B = fast high knee while been as light as you can on your feet stay upright?

PNF = dynamic stretching ?

Maurice86,
1.If you are looking to improve the 40 metre time then you need to train at a higher intensity (95%+) and allow for significant more recovery! Walking back as a rest period is going to accumulate a lot of lactate. Improving your 40 metre time should be based on alactic work on the track. But if this is simply a conditioning tool then it’s a different story.
2. Is your track work occuring after weights? If so your technique may suffer if you overdo the weights. Consider placing weights after speed if speed is your priority.
3. PNF=Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (Get the GPP download for examples of these types of stretches).

Hope this helps.

tnx for your answer gymrob.

Funny you mention dont push the ground cause alot of strength coaches and EXPERT SPEED SCHOOLS/CAMPS teach this. Along with asking folks on this forum I would contact your local college track coach if possible.

Just to make myself more clear, I have seen A LOT of weakend warriors or football players thinking that hit their feet hard on the ground would make them faster. Almost every weight training freaks I have met have had terrible shin splints too.

After that, push horizontaly on the ground to “emphase” the ground contact phase making that phase actually longer too (causing the lower back tension back extension instead of hips extension).

I wasnt disagreeing with you, I was totally backing you up. Apologies if it seemed the other way

So the pushes are suppose to be light? How do you know if you are applying force correctly if you don’t push?

tip toe-ing???

Your doing It right when you can barely hear noise on the ground.

Resume: Flick the hand and pump the arms. That’s it. Forget about power and just flick it quickly and relaxed, like a cat would do to catch a butterfly. CF

-With good starts the first few steps feel light. On set breathe in and hold. Focus on getting the lead hand out, forget about power just let it happen . Just get out in a relaxed manner and the stride length will sort itself out according to your strength level, body type, and set position in the blocks.

• The key is to set up in a good starting position and concentrate on the lead hand when leaving the blocks. I wouldn’t recommend an attempt to jump out of the blocks. Concentrate on the arms and let the legs take care of themselves.

this is soooo confusing…Charlie says light and tellez says hard…this goes back to another post I have on this site.

This must be corrective cues to correct technical flaws…

I almost never seen an athlete strong enough need to push more If he wasn’t forcing the frequency (like maurice in the HSI video).

I guess I will have to try both and see what yields the best results.