Taiwan

Hi all will use this thread to post results, team news, updates etc etc…

aswell as the hardships that come along with the job…

the first meet of the spring is this weekend our major meet this year is the Asian Games in Doha Qatar… so am looking to try and qualify a team of 10-12 for the games that for impotance ranks number 2 behind the olympics.

Taiwan are in the midst of a long drought not winning any kind of track medal in the Asian Games and in the Olympics they have not won a medal since 1968 (womens hurdles) and before that was c k young 1960? IAAF athlete of the year who won silver in the decathlon…

and he is still revered like a god in the country…

Just a quick note on how acceptive the association here is… on my last trip i asked could we have a massage therapists for the athletes for training and to travel to competitions. i mentioned it yesterday at 9.30am that we still needed someone… by the time we arrived in taipei some 5 hrs later, there he was waiting for us and we will have full access to him for the next 4 days. its a start

also if we can medal in a relay event in the asian games against the likes of china, japan, korea etc the budget will “take care of itself” for the next olympics!!!

some great young talent here that has sat in the wilderness for many years… will post some of these in coming weeks…

Good luck,

At least you Tiawan have someone who knows what they are doing! Thats always a start in the right direction :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks TC

am looking forward to some great problem solving and coaching advice from the team here at CF.com

how can i not acheive positive results with the input and knowledge available for myself and everyone on this site…

nanny

although not keen to have the athletes compete after only just competing GPP1 the athletes were politely asked to compete in order to register a time for the NCAA meet.

and to appease the new gear sponsor for our team…

100m semi final results
in rain and a -1.0 hw
L.Y.K ran 10.43 secs his second fastest time ever and just outside his national rec of 10.35 and look very easy in the process.
4 others sub 10.60et

Further info on history here no Male Taiwan Sprinter has ever qualified for a Olympic Sprint event…

hoping LYK will be the first and with his lift in standard he will drag the rest of the 4x100m team along to a relay top 16 spot for beijing…

our 400m guys are very youthfull most about 18-20 and all around the 47 mark… at this stage not to regimented and disciplined in what they do but our immediate aim is for a 3m08 QT for Asian games…

nanny

:smiley: looks very promisng

Perhaps you should consider some of the 10.6 guys for the 400m? I think if they can run under 10.6 they should be able to run sub 46 for the 400m with perhaps 2 years of training?

TC

strange u mention that, one of the guys that has come along in the 200m over the past 12 months i have been informed ran 47.2 in high school schampionships before i arrived in 2004.

but then decided he wanted to be a 100/200m guy… so to slowly introduce him back to the event i am going to include him in the college meet 400m relay in 4 weeks time, as our number 1 guy cant run in that meet…

ASAIN GAMES QT (male/female)

100m - 10.45/11.70
200m - 20.95/23.91
400m - 46.83/52.98
400mH - 49.53/57.28
4x100 - 39.85/45.20
4x400 - 3m08.29/3m45.00

we have until august to register times but as mentioned am hoping to get a team of 10 sprinters to the games inc relays…

Well good luck - some of those times seem pretty steep. I am wondering why the 11.7 for the 100m is fairly easy compared to other options…

yes we got prob 3-4 females right on that mark but the 400m time is amazing… compare the QT to the comm games results that inc bahamas, australia, jamaica etc etc and our QT would be top 8 in comm…

hard to understand…i am working on getting past results from asian games to get better understanding of the standards we up against its just hard to get my hands on some times as its more often than not in chinese…

pretty bad day for running here it was cold, windy and rainy…
so my guys just ran the heats and pulled out of finals… hard to guage where they at but 21.21 and most others well under 22…

most promising result was the first ever 400m hurdles by a 110mH man… 51.11, hes about 6’3 and has 10.7 speed over the 100m…

added to this my number 1 4 x 4 man who runs 48.63 for the 400mH “NR” and possibly our main man over 200m we are starting to put together a nucleus of a solid relay squad for the years ahead…

woot woot i could qualify for the 100 200 and 400 for womens asian games. Too bad i am not of the right gender.

was having some traditonal chinese Mcdonalds last night when the chair and table started to move then all of a sudden the building was rockin all over the place i look out the window and the street lights were swayin back and forth… i thought oh shit its a ----ing earthquake… it lasted about 1 min here the epicenter was 100klm from here and registered a 6.4…
certainly keeps things interesting…

my contract has accident insurance not so sure about earthquake though…

hi guys…
great news from todays college meet in the 2nd rnd of the 100m.

L.Y.K ran a personal best and new national taiwan record for the 100m in 10.28secs… +0.8
3 others pb’d running under 10.60…

as far as national records go its not in the fast league but we are moving forward… `12 months ago hr ran 10.60 consistantly now has gone 10.35 in october now todays 10.28…

his acceleration phase to be honest was shit and needs alot of work he was last out of the blocks again today but our next comp is in thailand in 3 weeks so we’ll just continue to work towards getting it right between now and december’s asian games… then beijing where he could be taiwan’s first ever 100m sprinter.
old habits die hard…

hey charlie and others from experience if faced with same situation how would you address the start issue without interfering to much with his mental state now he riding hi… but 1 positive is he knows he has to improve this area to get the times down to the international level…

:smiley:

What is different now to what they were doing prior?
How has that been received? By the athletes, officials and other coaches?

for one thing they are not stuck doing 5 hrs a day for 6 days a week training…

many here believe that tempo is bad for a sprinter so everything is done fast everyday…
they literally had there arse hanging out…

all i have tried to preach over my periods spent here is quality of effort we dont have an endless production line of athletes so we need to protect the ones we have…

you would be suprised how often here an athlete runs a huge race after a week or 2 beign slightly injured and forced to rest and the coach will say oh and he had no training if he train hard these 2 weeks he would run faster… but they are coming around slowly so thats all i can do i guess keep plugging away…

am introducing a group of coaches into the Australian Coach Education Scheme so hopefully it’ll help aswell.