7 Morton, Tracey New South Wales 24.58 1.1
8 Verlinden, Laura New South Wales 24.62 1.1

Our own Henry Mitchell?

that’s the one

Yes indeed.

McLellan’s 12.81 the highlight in Sydney

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=2/newsid=42879.html#mclellans+highlight+sydney

Saturday 12 January 2008

Sydney, Australia - Sally McLellan had hoped to pick up where she finished last season but running the fastest 100m Hurdles ever by an Australian at home she exceeded her own expectations in the Sydney Track Classic.

The exciting young Queenslander clocked 12.81 (tailwind 1.1m/s) to lead runner-up Andrea Miller (13.13) to a New Zealand national record witnessed by some 4000 enthusiastic fans on a warm night at Sydney Olympic Park, Homebush.

Scott Martin reached a career best at the Sydney Track Classic
(Getty Images)

“I’m really happy with that. It’s up about three levels on last year,” McLellan, 21, said following her first 100m Hurdles race since her disappointing elimination in the semi-finals at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka.

“This (12.81) is what the top people in the world do. It shows I’m going to be there at the Olympics. I’m going to be one of the top girls there.”

Aim for Beijing - ‘To be a fierce competitor’

Convincing victory for Tamsyn Lewis at the Sydney Track Classic
(Getty Images)

Yes, well, that’s what many of her supporters thought coming into Osaka, but McLellan set herself quite a heavy program starting on August 26 with 100m sprint runs of 11.14 and 11.31, followed the next day by 11.32 for eighth in her semi. [It took 11.26 to reach the final.] On the same day she clocked 12.85 in the hurdles first round, then 12.82 for fifth in her semi, missing the final by one place.

This year it will be different. By June she intends to abandon the sprint and race only over the barriers through to and including the Olympic Games in Beijing in August.

“I’ve been on the national team since I was 16. I’m not ‘going for the experience’. I don’t think I’m ‘up and coming’ anymore. I’m going to Beijing to be a fierce competitor,” McLellan stressed.

Before then however there are some important domestic meets including the Melbourne Grand Prix on 24 February and the Australian Championships which double as the major Olympic selection trial from 28 February 28 to 2 March.

And then McLellan has ambitions at the World Indoor Championships in Valencia, 7-9 March where she plans to contest the 60m Hurdles.

McLellan, who opened her night anchoring the winning 2x100m Relay, concluded her work with another strong win in the 100m in 11.26 (+3.0m/s) from New Zealander Monique Williams (11.61) and Lauren Hewitt (also 11.61) with another New Zealander, Andrea Miller, fourth in 11.62.

Williams, 22, from Hamilton, the New Zealand titlesholder for 100, 200 and also 400, ran a personal best 23.45 (+1.1) to win the 200m from 1999 World Championship finalist Lauren Hewitt (23.67) and Fiji’s Makelesi Batimala (23.97).

Dolphin nails Beijing 200m qualifier

Like primary school teacher Williams, James Dolphin proved that Kiwis can fly afterall when he brought up a New Zealand 200 double in winning the men’s race in 20.56 blessed with a perfect 2.0m/s tailwind.

“That’s my Olympic qualifier,” said Dolphin. “That’s why I came to Australia. Our Beijing qualifying time is 20.59.”

Dolphin, 24, hails from Whangaparaoa, a city of 25,000 just north of Auckland on New Zealand’s north island. He is a fulltime sales representative for Mizuno. He has won the sprint double at the last three New Zealand championships and with his filmstar good looks he is an ornament to the sport.

Henry Mitchell, from the host state of New South Wales, made up for his disqualification in the 2x100 relay with teammate Matt Shirvington by grabbing second in the 200 in 20.79 in the same time as third-placed Adam Miller (AIS).

Earlier in the night Miller, originally a teenage baseball star from Port Macquarie on the NSW north coast, made his fastest debut to a track season in winning the 100 in 10.29 (+1.7) from American John Wood (10.41), Dolphin (10.46) and Daniel Batman (10.49) who was also fourth over 200 in 20.80.

Miller began the program winning the 2x100 relay with teammate Isaac Ntiamoah in a very smart 20.10, the kind of time which suggests Australia might mount a medal challenge in the 4x100 at Beijing when Josh Ross, Patrick Johnson, Shirvington and others shift into top gear.

Despite sore foot, Martin reaches 20.63m PB

The surprisingly large crowd responded as one with a mighty roar when balding young Victorian giant Scott Martin shocked even himself with a personal best final-round 20.63m to win the shot put.

Strategically conducted adjacent to the finish line, the shot seen at close quarters was extremely well supported throughout the rounds and Martin was mobbed by autograph hunters as he departed the arena.

“I really want to do the World Indoors,” Martin said, although much depends on whether he continues to recover from a foot injury which ruined the last year.

“It’s pretty bad at the moment. I’ve been doing some throws but haven’t been able to do the full rotary action in training for about the last six weeks. That’s why I was a bit erratic tonight.”

Melinda Vernon, 22, winner of the Zatopek Classic 10,000 late last year, was impressive running alone out front in winning the 1500 in a personal best 4:22.18 from Holland’s Marije te Raa (4:23.76), NSW’s Chloe Tighe (4:24.21) and Lara Tamsett (4:26.31).

Vernon said she thought she “might get third or second” at the shorter distance but she has improved so much since surgeons broke her jaw last June to reset it a centimetre forward so that it would no longer press against her windpipe.

When she was seven, Vernon was fitted with a cochlear implant without which she could not hear.

“However it pressed against my jaw and prevented it growing properly on that side,” Vernon explained. "From the age of 10 to 21 I thought I had been getting asthma and it got worse and worse.

“Then the doctors decided to break my jaw because they realised it was pressing on my airways. It’s all worth it in the end.”

In other performances of note:

Tamsyn Lewis (2:02.46) won the 800m by five metres from fellow Victorian, Madeleine Pape (2:03.49).

Justin Merlino opened his season with a stylish win in the 110m Hurdles in 13.69 (+2.2) well clear of fellow NSW athlete Greg Eyears (14.13).

Joel Milburn (AIS) ran elegantly and efficiently through the backstraight headwind and finished on to win the 400m in 46.18 from Osaka relay representative Dylan Grant (46.45), the Queenslander looking to have plenty of room for improvement on his season opener.

Lachlan Chisholm completely dominated the 1500m to win in 3:42.96 from fellow NSW runner Brad Woods (3:45.94).

And courageous little Olivia Tauro showed that with experience and further conditioning she could become an international 400m representative, hanging on grimly to win in 53.31 from Ireland’s Michelle Carey (53.61) and fellow NSW starlets Trisha Greaves (53.95) and Jamie-Lee Starr (54.07).

Mike Hurst (The Daily Telegraph in Sydney) for the IAAF

looks like a pretty good night all round. :smiley:

The 2x100m Relay concept is interesting. Is that in common use elsewhere?

From a numbers perspective it would mean you could fairly easily fill eight lanes with teams and pressure on the exchange would be pretty extreme because most teams would still be in close contact at the first (in this case, only) swap.

good to see maddy is still nipping at her heels… :smiley:

A really good night. Very good conditions for running, and to sit in the stands.

Crowd numbers were up from last year. I think facebook had something to do with the larger crowd.

why is that?:confused:

The Sydney Track Classic was prompted as an event on facebook. Given that many track athletes have hundreds of friends on their list, the reach, in terms of numbers, was signficant.

Doubt people are going to go a track event because it is on facebook…

Tim McGrath is the administrations and communications manager for Athletics NSW. It has been confirmed that 2,500 people got invites via facebook. I think that has some penetration. Without a doubt, facebook did help promote the event. Facebook may not be the reason why people attended. However it definitely helped spread the news. Having attended the last 4 years of the event, numbers were up this year, even though the standard of athlete was down. Last year featured Michelle Perry, Shawn Crawford and more domestic athletes but the numbers were much larger this year.

Don’t confuse the ‘Sydney Track Classic’ and the A Series / Grand prix meet, they are seperate events. The STC is almost all local athletes, while the GP has the top locals + international visitors. With Powell & Wariner for the GP this year, it should make for an excellent crowd.

I didn’t know about the use of facebook (I am not on it), but it sounds like a very good use of technology by ANSW, and good marketing. Congratulations to them.

Well hell yes. Why not use any method possible to promote the sport?

Someone on the main NZ running site (dominated by mid - long distance runners) has suggested based on this he should consider running 400’s or 800’s :eek:

Does that mean he should be considering 400 or even 800? I remember Lydiard always used to bang on about sprinters we had in the 80s and 90s who could have been awesome middle distance runners.

there is also a discussion about the interpretation of the term wind assisted an that as this was 2.0 it could be termed that :rolleyes:
http://www.nzrun.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3219&sid=47251e790223f54fc49b9975a98434ad

Then all those world records with the perfect 2.0+ at the Mexico Olympics should be expunged from the book. But they won’t be. And you can be sure the wind reading given to Dolphin was more reliable than those announced (as distinct from “recorded”) in 1968.

Good Luck to Henry Mitchell in the 100m in Hobart, I truly look forward to seeing him run, just wish there was a higher number of higher quality Aussie runner.

Event 12 Men 100 Metres
Friday 18/01/2008 - 6:47 PM
Meet Record: 10.22 1994 Damien Marsh
Olympic A: 10.21
Olympic B: 10.28
Name Yr Team Seed Time

1 Henry Mitchell 86 Nsw _______
2 Joshua Ross#2 89 Victoria _______
3 Rhett Medford 78 Victoria _______
4 Mark Cooper Ova _______
5 Rodney Blair Nsw _______
6 Liam Gander Nsw _______
7 Matthew Richardson Eastern Subs _______

The track is preceived to be slow, and possibly is but I believe Melinda Gainsford has the fastest200m run in Australia by an Australian in Hobart, and only her and Cathy have run faster internationally.