Surface EMG Testing

I’ve been doing some testing in the weight room with a Surface EMG unit I acquired. Has anyone else had experience with this type of technology for weightlifting exercises (i.e. high load)? Just curious.

I’m finding that there is more asymmetry in athletes than I would have expected. Upon further review though - it makes sense. As sport is inherently asymmetrical. Additional, injuries and anatomical differences (i.e. I have a notable leg length difference) can lead to compensational changes.

So, I did a full squat with 365lbs and had the unit measure my spinal erector activity and my left side had a reading that was 60% of my right side. I’m attributing it to the leg length discrepancy, as there is a notable touque of my hips at the bottom of the squat (left leg 1.5cm longer than right leg).

Very interesting. I’m going to keep on testing athletes to see what I can find.

You need to be careful about artifact as well. Movement of the electrodes will significantly change readings. I have a wireless EMG system and have played with it a bit and you can get very different readings depending on how you prep the skin beforehand and how old the electrodes are etc.