Supplements positively affecting soccer game performance

I was just reviewing literature on RSA testing and that stuff, when I come around to those three works:

1. Bishop, D., Edge, J., Davis, C., Goodman, C. Induced Metabolic Alkalosis Affects Muscle Metabolism and Repated-Sprint Ability. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 36(5):807-813. May, 2004.
    Purpose: The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of induced metabolic alkalosis, via sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion, on muscle metabolism and power output during repeated short-duration cycle sprints.
    Methods: Ten active females (mean +/- SD: age = 19 +/- 2 yr, [latin capital V with dot above]O2max = 41.0 +/- 8.8 mL[middle dot]kg -1[middle dot]min -1) ingested either 0.3 g[middle dot]kg -1 NaHCO3 or 0.207 g[middle dot]kg -1 of NaCl (CON), in a double-blind, random, counterbalanced order, 90 min before performing a repeated-sprint ability (RSA) test (5 x 6-s all-out cycle sprints every 30 s).
    Results: Compared with CON, there was a significant increase in resting blood bicarbonate concentration [HCO3-] (23.6 +/- 1.1 vs 30.0 +/- 3.0 mmol[middle dot]L -1) and pH (7.42 +/- 0.02 vs 7.50 +/- 0.04), but no significant difference in resting lactate concentration [La-] (0.8 +/- 0.2 vs 0.8 +/- 0.3 mmol[middle dot]L -1) during the NaHCO3 trial. Muscle biopsies revealed no significant difference in resting muscle [La-], pH, or buffer capacity ([beta]in vitro) between trials (P > 0.05). Compared with CON, the NaHCO3 trial resulted in a significant increase in total work (15.7 +/- 3.0 vs 16.5 +/- 3.1 kJ) and a significant improvement in work and power output in sprints 3, 4, and 5. Despite no significant difference in posttest muscle pH between conditions, the NaHCO3 trial resulted in significantly greater posttest muscle [La-].
    Conclusions: As NaHCO3 ingestion does not increase resting muscle pH or [beta]in vitro, it is likely that the improved performance is a result of the greater extracellular bufferconcentration increasing H+ efflux from the muscles into the blood. The significant increase in posttest muscle [La-] in NaHCO3 suggests that an increased anaerobic energy contribution is one mechanism by which NaHCO3 ingestion improved RSA.

2. Bishop, D., Claudius, B. Effects of Induced Metabolic Alkalosis on Prolonged Intermitent Sprint Performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 37(5):759-767. May, 2005.
    Abstract:
    Purpose: Previous studies have shown that induced metabolic alkalosis, via sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion, can improve short-term, repeated-sprint ability. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of NaHCO3 ingestion on a prolonged, intermittent-sprint test (IST).
    Methods: Seven female team-sport athletes (mean +/- SD: age = 19 +/- 1 yr, [latin capital V with dot above]O2peak = 45.3 +/- 3.1 mL[middle dot]kg-1[middle dot]min-1) volunteered for the study, which had received ethics clearance. The athletes ingested two doses of either 0.2 g[middle dot]kg-1 of NaHCO3 or 0.138 g[middle dot]kg-1 of NaCl (placebo), in a double-blind, random, counterbalanced order, 90 and 20 min before performing the IST on a cycle ergometer (two 36-min “halves” of repeated ~2-min blocks: all-out 4-s sprint, 100 s of active recovery at 35% [latin capital V with dot above]O2peak, and 20 s of rest). Capillary blood samples were drawn from the ear lobe before ingestion, and before, during, and after each half of the IST. [latin capital V with dot above]O2 was also recorded at regular intervals throughout the IST.
    Results: Resting plasma bicarbonate concentration ([HCO3-]) averaged 22.6 +/- 0.9 mmol[middle dot]L-1, and at 90 min postingestion was 21.4 +/- 1.5 and 28.9 +/- 2.8 mmol[middle dot]L-1 for the placebo and NaHCO3 conditions, respectively (P < 0.05). Plasma [HCO3-] during the NaHCO3 condition remained significantly higher throughout the IST compared with both placebo and preingestion. There was a trend toward improved total work in the second (P = 0.08), but not first, half of the IST after the ingestion of NaHCO3. Furthermore, subjects completed significantly more work in 7 of 18 second-half, 4-s sprints after NaHCO3 ingestion.
    Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that NaHCO3 ingestion can improve intermittent-sprint performance and may be a useful supplement for team-sport athletes.

3. Mujika, I., et al. Creatine supplementation and sprint performance in soccer players. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 518-525, 2000.
    Purpose: This investigation examined the effects of creatine (Cr) supplementation on intermittent high-intensity exercise activities specific to competitive soccer.
    Methods: On two occasions 7 d apart, 17 highly trained male soccer players performed a counter-movement jump test (CMJT), a repeated sprint test (RST) consisting of six maximal 15-m runs with a 30-s recovery, an intermittent endurance test (IET) consisting of forty 15-s bouts of high-intensity running interspersed by 10-s bouts of low-intensity running, and a recovery CMJT consisting of three jumps. After the initial testing session, players were evenly and randomly included in a CREATINE (5 g of Cr, four times per day for 6 d) or a PLACEBO group (same dosage of maltodextrins) using a double-blind research design.
    Results: The CREATINE group’s average 5-m and 15-m times during the RST were consistently faster after the intervention (0.95 +/- 0.03 vs 0.97 +/- 0.02 s, P < 0.05 and 2.29 +/- 0.08 vs 2.32 +/- 0.07 s, P = 0.07, respectively). Neither group showed significant changes in the CMJT or the IET. The CREATINE group’s recovery CMJT performance relative to the resting CMJT remained unchanged postsupplementation, whereas it tended to decrease in the PLACEBO group.
    Conclusion: In conclusion, acute Cr supplementation favorably affected repeated sprint performance and limited the decay in jumping ability after the IET in highly trained soccer players. Intermittent endurance performance was not affected by Cr.

According to those three researches, it seams that suplemetation of CREATINE and NaHCO3 prior to soccer match may improve repeated sprint ability. Another researches should be conducted to evaluate their effects on number of sprints, distance covered, number of involments with a ball, average work intensity in real game match using time-motion analysis.

I belive I have read somewhere that coffeine ingestion have simmilar effects increasing performance, but it affects creatine metabolism. It is maybe appropriate that soccer players consume creatine couple of days before a match and just prior the match to consume coffeine and NaHCO3… More research should be done to solve this puzzle!

would the same supps for track be used for soccer?

Mmmmm… baking soda.

I’ve had great success with antioxidants such as NOW Super Antioxidants and NOW EGCG(green tea extract). Amazing stuff.

thanks blinky,
but would you use for eg arginine the same way as you do for track as you would for soccer

Yes, you would. Also consider taking some bcaa’s and some gatorade during the game.

What would you suggest supplementing during a match (pre match, during the halftime, after a match)? How much?

watch the sodium bicarbonate. Scientifically it should do something. However, in the real world, i have not yet heard of anybody doing it with success. Getting the dose right is an individual problem, causing gut upsets, vomiting and dehydration being the worst and very common problems. you need to drink large volumes of water with it, so, the extra weight in that itself is a performance drop-er.

I have not tried it myself, but, am willing to Attempt it in the right conditions.

I would take a carbohydrate filled drink and down it whenever necessary. You could also consider taking 5 grams of bcaa’s at half-time. Post match I normally take a protein shake with some carbs.

If you read through the Forum Review 2002 you can see that there are alot more options for supplements such as tyrosine, arginine & ornithine, caffeine… etc.

Duxx, there are a lot of supplements shown to help in soccer and soccer related test. The most common are caffeine and creatine.

Then there are of course the usual ones like carbohydrates and protein/BCAA/EAA with a little bit of sodium.

The FIFA/MARC came out with a consensus last year named Nutrition and Football : The FIFA/MARC Consensus on Sports Nutrition that was published in Journal of Sports Sciences in July 2006. There was a chapter/article in it regarding supplements. If you want I can mail the complete version or just the chapter to you?

That would be awesome…
I am the most interested into halftime nutrition! I put around 5 scoops of dextrose into 1,5L of water and give them about 0,3l to drink. Sometime, on coach demand I put a little creatine in there too.
I tryed to put some protein but players complained (not all of them). Think that BCAA/Glutamine may be used in very small doses.

You’ve got mail!

how much have you educated them regarding the benefits of adding protein to recovery and glycolysis? I’ve found with the team that I’m helping that they got a lot more open to supplements ones I had told them about why and when they can be of use.

edit: I educated them by having a 1hour presentation before a practice session…

Could you send it to me too please Guddi - I’d be interested in seeing it also, please.

They complained of what exactly?

Yup - find the studies … the name escapes me of the dude who started it … darn!

Yup, the theoretical training is fine idea, but I haven’t time to do it… they had to read between my lines… They are still ‘inertial’ to some of mine ideas, and I have to work on my ‘authority’ and ‘approach’. This is a big deal in coaching… I still lack this, but it comes with experience. It is not enought to have knowledge… it is about applying that knowledge that counts.

Fergus,
some of them complained about stomach upset and ‘acid in gut’. Some of them drink PWO before a trainign session with no problems, some have problems with protein…

What is the ration of CHO/proteins (and density or %age in drink) in PWO and in during the workout or during the halftime?

PWO is usually
0.4g/kg of whey protein
0.8g/kg of CHO
500ml of water
5g of creatine

Which is for 80kg athlete
30g of protein — 6%
60g of CHO (dextrose) — 12%

During the workout, Noakes suggests
Drinking 500-800mL/h
CHO 7-12%
Osmolality 200-400mmol/L
Natrium 20-60 mmol/L

I am ok with the PWO, but I am seeking for something during the halftime.
Here is what Berardi recommends
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/advanced_workout_nutrition.htm
As a baseline, start by ingesting 30g carbohydrate and 15g protein (in 500ml water) per hour of training. This means if you’re training for one total hour, you’re sipping your 30g carb and 15g protein drink during that hour. And if you’re training for two hours, you’re sipping your first 30g carb and 15g protein drink during the first hour and your second 30g carb and 15g protein drink during the second hour. And so on…
It is basically PWO in 1L of water… But is proteine really neccessary during the workout? Maybe better BCAAs/Glutamine?

On an anecdotal level this supp keeps coming up from people I know who are VERY picky about supplements, the hype surrounding them, and the idiots who foist BS supps on the public.

There is an article on Peak Performance about correct dosage that seemed sensible.

I’m going to do an experiment this fall with it for my soccer season but before I do I wonder if anyone has any science on its effects and purpose. What is it doing, exactly, on the cellular level. I’m probably way off here but I get the hint that it’s a lot like what the arginine products do? If so, I’d be a lot less likely to take it…