Summer conditioning

I have some HS soccer girls for 6 weeks of conditioning. Here is what I was thinking of doing. I will prob. tweak it alot but this is the general plan.

15-18 yo 18 sessions total 3x/week @ 90 Min
Session 1 max accel/speed + conditioning
Warm up 1+2 and Abs
Isorobic runs or hill runs 2x4x15m (progress to 2x4x20m)
starts lying 2x4x15m (progress to 2x4x20)
plyos
tempo/coditioning
Strength training
cool down

Session 2 acceleration or deceleration + conditioning
Warm up 1+2 and med ball for core
Isorobic runs or hill runs 6x15m (progress to 10 reps)
break away belts (10m zone)
jump up plyos progress mulitple hops
slide board/conditioning
basic wieights training
cool down

Session 3 max accel/speed + conditioning
Warm up 1+2 and Abs
Isorobic runs or hill runs 2x4x15m (progress to 2x4x20m)
lying starts 2x4x15m (progress to 2x4x20)
plyos
tempo/conditioning
Strength training
cool down

Now, I know that there is tempo and speed in the same day but, the vols. for tempo are not that high. Hopefully I can get them into shape. We should be starting in july and finishing up 2 weeks into august. That will leave us 2 weeks to focus only on tactics and team dynamics…

Looks good. I would move the tempo to seperate days or have them do it on their own… but, you know that it will never get done if you leave it up to them. It makes me wonder how would be the best way to train players? and would the tempo be of any benefit after the speed work during the same day?

I was thinking the same thing about the tempo/conditioningb. This is a new thing I am trying out. I looked and asked around and this was the only viable solution. The school is a bunch of lazy rich kids in NYC. Theres no way in hell that they are going to dedicate more time. Im a little worried about the tempo but the volumes will be equivalent to a cool down. Maybe 800-1000yds at most.

Is it “Storm King”? My buddy went to school with Paris Hilton there a while back…

Colombia Prep. They sucked last year but they only had 11 players. This year should be better I hope.

Good luck. There’s nothing more exciting than training unmotivated slack-asses. :rolleyes:

OK. Me and the head coach are at a conflict. Here’s his idea of what the players should be doing.

Weeks 1 and 2 (June 13 – June 26):
M, W – 25 minute jog
Friday - 1.5 mile run (timed, record in log)
T, TH, Sa - Strength Training (S–record max pushups, crunches in 30 sec)

Weeks 3, 4 and 5 (June 27 – July 17):
M, W - 25 minute jog (Fartlek)

• Fartleks – every five minutes, increase speeed for 45 seconds, then return to a jog (see next page for explanation)
    Friday - 1.5 mile run (timed, record in log)
    T, Th, Sat - Strength Training (S–record max pushups, crunches in 30 sec)

Weeks 5 and 6 (July 18 – July 31):
Mon, Wed - 25 minute jog (Fartlek)
- Fartleks – every four minutes, increase speed for 45 seconds
Tues, Fri. - Anaerobic program (Weeks 1 and 2 - see attached)
Thursday - 1.5 mile run (timed, record in log)
T, Th, Sat - Strength Training (S–record max pushups, crunches in 45 sec)

Weeks 7, 8, 9, 10 (August 1 – 28)
Mon, Wed - 25 minute jog (Fartlek)
- Fartleks – every four minutes, increase speed for 45 seconds

What do you guys think??

Have him watch a tape of a game, log what one player does the whole game. Sprint all out, moderate speed, jog, walk, Stand, Then ask him how much sense does it make for the athletes to jog all frickin day long.

I have worked with several MLS soccer players here in the US, most think they need to run long distances. I usually have to give them that same assignment. Then they understand.

Thats a good idea… I think I will try that.

totally agree here. I don’t know where soccer coaches get the idea to run the hell out of their kids. The plan that your coach proposed is junk. If you need to, have him watch the tape, or even analyze what each player does based on position and then explain to him, in lay terms, energy systems and and what role they play in soccer. I didn’t think your origional plan looked too bad. Like the others said, doing the tempo on other days would be nive, but you have to make di with what you have.