Stuart McRobert books?

What do you guys think about the books from Stuart McRobert? His book “Brawn” is on Michael Boyle’s recomended reading list…
www.hardgainer.com

Less is more. Nice when I was starting out but very one sided. Again, its part of my history but only a small part.

Yes, McRobert is over a HIT crowd (that is what Boyle says), but he likes the compound exercises instead of machines…
What his book did you read? I think he is more for body transformation, not for athlete training?

I’ve read them all. Beyond Brawn was good. Also his technique book is very detailed. I still recommend it today to those who have no clue.

Its ok.
As I described it Duxx … it’s bodybuilding without BS.
Solid read - but not directly applicable to athletes IMO.

Thanks guys!
I know it is bodybuilding (body tranformation), altought as I am familiar, McRobert is more “functional” bodybuilding crowd. I will certainly start to work as PT in comercial gym (along with working/volunteering with althletes), so I will deal with a lot of guys pursuing body-trans goals, and I don’t love machines (enough said :slight_smile: ).
TC, are the book repeating? Do I need “Brawn”, “Beyond Brawn”, “Lose Fat, Gain Muscle”, or the last is “all-in-one”??? What should I get? Lose Fat Gain Muscle, is 600pp with a gross explanation of exercises… Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have submited one article for our fitness journall — the topic is “The typical begginer’s errors”. I presented 22 rules, which I listed here… The text is on serbian, but I translated only the “rules”…

1. Chose your own goal, and plan its realization

2. There are no dangerous exercises per se: only dangerous performance for a given athlete at a given stage with an „dangerous“ load

3. There are not better or worse exercises: only appropriate ones for reaching ones goals

4. Technique, technique, technique

5. Do not use advanced programs (From those on drugs, for those on drugs) to become advanced

6. Do not start with too much volume. Start slowly

7. Do not start with too much load. Start slowly

8. Do not use large number of exercises. Think quality, not quantity

9. Forget about „hitting“ muscles. Train whole body, train movements. At least at the beggining

10. Warm-up is very important

11. Try to improve your posture

12. Injured bodybuilder cannot lift weights, thus he cannot gain muscles nor lose fat. Avoid Injury

13. Do not cycle exercises too often. At least in beggining

14. Start with „base“, and then progress to details

15. However your become strong, remember that there is allway a tiny Chinesse girl who warm-ups with your maximum

16. Be „functionally“ strong

17. Do not reach failure. At lleast in the beggining and not often

18. Forget about supplements at the beggining. Fix your nutrition and training first

19. A lot of effort on poor program is better than no effort on the best program on earth

20. Imflamation (DOMS) doesn’t mean GROWTH, imfamation means imflamation.

21. It is not stupid not to know, it is stupid not to ask

22. There is no perfect program

I will summarise the Brawn Book: Lift heavy in the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift). If you don’t improve then eat more. Cycle your training every 4-6 weeks. Decrease the load I think 5% and then build up again. Keep doing this using microloading (0.5kg improvements or whatever) and you will get stronger.

Personally, a good persoanl trailer is one that make s training fun. These people arn’t athletes so challenge them and progress them and they will be happy. Also make sure you work on diet. You can make massive changes this way. Exercise by itself for the average population doesn’t do it. They may get stronger but they measure results by looks.

TC,
You have said that you have read all the books from Stuart McRobert, well, I am in doubt about oredering “Beyond Brawn” and “Lose Fat, Gain Muscle, Look Great” books… What would you suggest? Is seams that “Lose Fat, Gain Muscle, Look Great” includes all the books in one…

Duxx, I don’t have the new book Build Muscle, Loose Fat, Look Great. I have Brawn, B-Brawn, Further Brawn, Insiders guide to technique all from about 5-10 years ago.

For you knowing what you know well i think it is fairly simple stuff but this new book might be an interesting read. Perhaps you can let me know!?

Duxx could you get a library to order one so you could get a look at it - because as TC says - I don’t think they are as great as you think.

Thanks guys…
I will try to order Stuart’s newest book, but not as some serious textbook, but rather as some fun read (simmilar to Schuler & Cosgrove, New Rules of lifting)…
Anyway, as soon as I get it and read it, I will let you know my opinion TC!
No23, We don’t have such a “nice” libraries here… :slight_smile: I never found a good sport book on english here…

Duxx,
I have Brawn & Beyond Brawn (don’t know about his new book). I would go with Beyond Brawn if choosing from these 2. The other posts sum it up nicely.