Stripping Away All that is Useless

Kelly Johnson who built the plane in my avatar (SR-71) had the same philosophy. He said he tried to find the most simple solution to a problem.

Skunk works…:slight_smile:

Hell yea. I got to book and read it. It was a fascinating read. From my understanding it’s a must read for CEO’s, entry CIA agents and business tycoons.

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003

At the same time it’s a sad read because I don’t believe that America will ever be as technology advanced as it was during the 1950/60’s.

Anyhow back on topic… sorry for the detour.

At the small skill positions, maybe. Speed is definitely king there. But the strength used to hold a block or push through a block or tackle, are much longer than GCT in a sprint. And this doesn’t even touch on the development of body mass. Bigger, stronger and faster, not just faster,is what wins football games. Our high school (Coppell, TX) lost one game this year, late in the playoffs. We lost to the #1 team in the nation, Euless Trinity, by one point. They were not more skilled, we were. They were not quicker or faster, we were. They did not have a better game plan, we did. They beat us by pushing our butts down the field old school, overpowering our line and running over our linebackers. Size and strength matters, and you can definitely improve both in the weight room.

I agree whole heartedly. Trust me, my kids are big and strong and I don’t just worry about speed. I think it is a collision sport and strength helps as much as speed. What I was saying was in response to saying squat doesn’t have a direct translation to ability to run, etc. It to me is an indirect relationship. Just because one squats more doesn’t necessarily translate into more speed. It builds strength, hypertrophy, MUA, etc. Unless these are honed, just being strong alone doesn’t make one good. I was just commenting to the post saying very little you do in the weight room is going to translate directly to sport as it pertains to the movement alone. The qualities developed certainly transfer, if they are transferred to the sports requirements. Obviously, at some point getting stronger or more powerful is going to give diminishing returns on investment, as increasing strength may only deliver a tiny gain in on field ability. Then it isn’t worth the effort to develop that characteristic any further.

Transfer of Training by Dr. Anatoliy Bondarchuk.

Free Download: http://hotfile.com/dl/742888/6a17652/Transfer.of.Training.in.Sports.pdf.html

Thanks RR. I managed to find a copy already. Looks like an interesting
Read.

Fair enough. However I definitely feel that a combination of resistance work, sleds, hills, and plyos do a lot to improve the first 20-30m of an athlete’s sprint. Maybe not Max V, but improving speed in the first 20-30m is very significant in football.

Star, this is what I was commenting on. I was saying that anything we do in the weight room such as below is going to leave a coach or athlete wanting more if they are looking for some direct transfer from either squat or jump squat. They do not in my estimation transfer directly to sport but rather indirectly. Nothing in a squat is a motion I have athletes repeat on the field. The knee angle is never as deep as a squat otherwise you would get destroyed. So why not just have kids squat down to about 45 degree angle on femur. That would be a power position in football.

Not so much, very poor and not detailed statistical analysis. Really it confuses more than clarifies. One thing, the more an exercise resembles the competition, the more is correlated. Pretty intuitive, tough.

I don’t think it is indirect, it is only loosely correlated.

Because quarter squats are not nearly as effective at building strength and mass as half squats. It doesn’t matter if that position is rarely repeated on the field. Being specific just to be specific in your exercise selection is silly if a non-specific exercise produces superior results in the desired attributes (i.e. strength, power or hypertrophy).

Define strength here? Because the last time I looked it was position specific. Quarter squats will build mor strength in the top position than half squats (which limit poundages), no?

And why won’t they build as much mass?

You realize that posting this is:
a. a copyright violation
b. Puts the forum at risk

Stop being such a fucking dipshit.

Transfer of Training vol 1 is nearly useless. Totally unreadable and just doesn’t say anything.

Volume 2 is far far far better. His charts showing the different styles of periodization (described only in text in Vol 1) make sense.

Again, I am agreeing. I don’t get what your point is? I honestly have my guys squat to parallel or just above unless they go deeper without issue. I have seen far too many strength s&c coaches try pounding evryone through a cookie cutter squat technique. Its the old if you ass isn’t leaving pucker marks, your not a man. It is just an exercise to develop qualities to make you play a game better, not adhere to someones preconceived idea that all should fit their criteria.To another point, an Olympic sprinter I trained just did massively explosive quarter squats at high load. Are you saying that was useless? He already had achieved a tone of strength and perhaps too much hypertrophy for his own good. It was not my idea, but I see why he preferred that as his specific need was about being explosive at roughly 45 degree exit angle form blocks. In my years doing this, I never say things don’t have efficacy. I have seen too many things that contradict many things I held as gospel.

I agree, especially since I’ve met Dr. B (though I’m sure he doesn’t remember).

I don’t want to derail the discussion, but what’s the difference between buying a used book on Amazon for 1 cent, plus 3 bucks for shipping, vs downloading a book online for free?

Let me state that I do buy books vs download illegal material because I want to support the person who’s giving me the knowledge, but when I go to amazon, why is it that I can buy a book for only 1 cent and still be legal??:confused:

Well, a lot of times it is book resellers. Maybe book is a little old and somebody already paid the real priice and some book reseller got a bunch of copies cheap. I hate when I see someones hard work get stolen and given free. It is no different than stealing food from the authors mouth. When in the hell did everybody get so cheap? I have 10,000+ dollars in books and videos, not to mention God knows how much on travel, seminars, equipment, etc. I wonder how people would feel if it were their life work being given away? Come on guys, we are better than that.

Same with music.

Books are sometimes different in that some are impossible to find. Almost all music is on itunes now though.