Strength Training for Sprinters (Updated)

It’s a big compound movement. It contributes to the oranism strength. simple.

Using that argument, all lifts are beneficial though. I struggle to see the principle of specificity in this lift though, that’s all.

Bench activates 25% of MUs. The reason to do it is that it ISN’T specific. During peaking you can get a CNS stimulus from a heavy bench session, and spare the muscles specific to sprinting.

1. As per CF; CNS resources are finite, thus each training element has a push/pull effect on the overall program.

2. Number of MU’s defines the relative potential for neural fatigue, but other factors are at playing including the intensity & also the actual weight of the load.

3. Not really - it would be hard to find much specificity between the two, much less postural issues.

Interesting read.

As the season progresses, I usually move over to track based (resisted) plyometric movements when we decrease our ancillary weight exercises. These also intensify when we move toward a prep for peaking and pick up when we decrease the number of sessions for our maximum lifting.

I’d really like to emphasise the periodisation concepts presented in the piece, I like them!

Studies by Kreamer have shown high levels of max strength training can inhibit RFD. Note athlete loads where true 1rmax and moved at a slow rate.

The force-velocity curve does not imply that it is impossible to move a heavy resistance at a fast speed. With Ben’s exceptional strength levels he would be able to lift heavier loads at a much faster rate then a lesser athlete. This is also the case with champion OL, they are able to lift heavier loads at a faster rate.

It is possible for athletes to develop power by max weights if they are able to move loads rapidly. This is the case only for the extremely gifted athletes.

I guess you need to define high levels- amount of weight, number of reps, or amount of actual capacity for both used by the individual (my choice). if the load is well within the athlete’s capacity, there will be no problem.

Your right, training at 90% of 1rmax usually doesnt pose a problem for advanced athletes. Lifting to absoluate 1rmax places too much neuromuscular stress. Studies by Kreamer used successive days of 1rmax testing for the squat.

It is possible for athletes to develop power by max weights if they are able to move loads rapidly.

Correct, although not optimal power development.

This is the case only for the extremely gifted athletes

Uncorrect. Any athlete can lift loads above 85% of 1RM relatively fast, if trained to do so.

Bump… Good ole days.

This is an extremely important point. And one that, in my opinion, many people miss. Most training programs I see have the athlete progressing from max lifting to explosive lifting and a higher dose of plyometrics. To me, this is completely backwards due to the exact point Charlie made above: elements closest to one another conflict the most for CNS resources. When speed work is at its highest intensity like it would be near the end of a training cycle, other CNS-based exercises need to be farther away on the curve! So doing explosive lifting and plyometrics alongside maxV work is putting a ton of stress on the same systems and structures. Rather, use a middle-to-the-ends training approach when thinking of the f-v curve. Early in the progression (GPP or early SPP), plyometrics and explosive medball throws are the highest. As speed ramps up, these are reduced–or even eliminated–in lieu of max weights.

I’ve found continuing to deadlift at least once per week during the competitive season to be a good thing, with loads typically around 85-90%. These plus bench are a great CNS primer that require no pounding on the ground like hurdle hops would. If you’re racing on the weekend, I don’t really think you need plyometrics during the week.

Another interesting find (I apologize for all of the personal anecdotal evidence) is that max lifting typically leaves me feeling more flexible after. If I enter a lifting session a little tight, I often leave feeling a lot better. There’s something neural to the whole tightness sensation.

What set rep scheme would you use with deads and bench during comp period as opposed to GPP and Spp. Great post BTW.

At any point of the year, I never go higher than 5 reps in a set and 12 reps for all sets. The most volume I’d do would be something like 3 sets of 4 reps. I wouldn’t do this in the same week as a meet, though. I tend to keep that more like 2 sets of 3 reps at a weight around my 5-rep max. The two main reasons are:

1. I’ve found reps 4 and 5 to be the most risky and draining, so I stop before I get there.
  2. Using a weight that I can hit at least 5 times in sets of 3 is my lifting version of an intensity limit.

I’ve found 8-12 total reps to be the sweet spot for speed work, as well, regardless what the distance. It’s almost as if I can only reset and be highly focused that many times. If you’re not in the zone with speed work, you’re just going through the motions. An example of this is:

2x20m falling starts
3x30m blocks
4xFlys
(9 total reps)

Thanks Actuary, really enjoying your posts. Is that 12 reps in a session for weights or 12 reps per exercise. ie bench 3 x4 reps, deads 3 x4 reps for a session. I’m intrigued by the super low volume and feel it is something I may need to move towards as I am constantly injured and trying to get a hold on it. Also how do you find keeping weight under control with the low volume training.

On the lifting side of things, I look at it as 12 per exercise. So in your example, I may do 3x4 of bench followed by 3x4 of deadlift. As for sprinting, I look at it as 12 reps per session. So when adding up all accel, blocks, and maxV work, I rarely hit 12 total reps. Example speed workouts throughout the year:

Hills: 4x20m, 4x30m, 4x30m
Split Rep Special Endurance: 2x20m, 2x30m, 2x4x60m
Speed Prep: 2x20m, 2x30m, 4xEFE, 4xFEF
Accel/maxV: 2x20m, 3x30m, 4xFlys

The higher the intensity, the less total reps for that element. This is true for both weights and speed. Good luck doing 6 sets of doubles in the weight room if you’re just under your 2-rep max; you may be only to do 6 reps in total at that intensity. The same is true when you’re hitting maxV–it’s much harder to hit that level multiple times.

Before you lift a weight, you have to ask yourself what the purpose is of the workout. We all may have slightly different goals in the weight room. I think of my lifting scheme more as a mental workout. You can’t deadlift 90%+ if you’re not in the right mindset. I actually go through the same routine before a set of deadlift as I do before I get into the blocks. In the preparatory routine, I visualize the skill, cancel outside noise, become centered, tell myself that I’m the best, then execute. During the execution phase, I’m learning how to recruit the largest motor units. I think of this as breaking through the central governor’s current set of limits. I probably have the physical tools to lift something heavier than I ever will; I just need to learn how to summon those resources.

As for weight control, are you referring to body weight? If so, I’ve never had an issue with that. I’m naturally a lean guy who has always preferred protein and fats to carbs. Keep in mind that I still hit some BW exercises like pull-ups, dips, and push-ups. These may help that. I jump rope and throw the medicine ball around, too.

[QUOTE=Actuary400m;257478]On the lifting side of things, I look at it as 12 per exercise. So in your example, I may do 3x4 of bench followed by 3x4 of deadlift. As for sprinting, I look at it as 12 reps per session. So when adding up all accel, blocks, and maxV work, I rarely hit 12 total reps. Example speed workouts throughout the year:

Hills: 4x20m, 4x30m, 4x30m
Split Rep Special Endurance: 2x20m, 2x30m, 2x4x60m
Speed Prep: 2x20m, 2x30m, 4xEFE, 4xFEF
Accel/maxV: 2x20m, 3x30m, 4xFlys

The higher the intensity, the less total reps for that element. This is true for both weights and speed. Good luck doing 6 sets of doubles in the weight room if you’re just under your 2

Thanks Actuary, that makes a lot of sense, I’m getting the picture. I’ve read a bit of your work on bearpowered, I like how you’ve put a lot of thought into your training and it is paying off for you. Cheers for sharing the info.

Looking at some old emails from David:

He believed 3x6-10 reps in Gpp was a waste of time… >> Nope. IMO this is a total waste of time.

The program he outlined in his manual has the sprinters testing a 3rm every 3 weeks - he believed this wasn’t too much.?>>The simple answer is… no. The heavy session is often more easily tolerated (because total volume is so much lower)
On a side note, I recall suggesting 3 sessions per week in that program. Given the injury rates we saw in practice however I reduced that to 2 per week.

e.g.
Mon: Speed and throws
Tues: Weights
Wed: Tempo
Thurs Speed and throws
Fri: Weights
Sat: Tempo
Sun: Rest

I generally disagree with GPP in the weights room, just adjust the loads to an ‘estimated’ maximum and test on the usual 3 week rotation. Muscle memory means within 6 weeks you’ll be back at 95%+ pre injury levels. Most track athletes just do way too much phaff, remember, if it’s not adding, it’s taking away. I recommend you check JE’s training diary the year he broke the world record. Most days he would just do one exercise

Cheers RB, But who is JE?i

Jon Edwards - LJ

Thanks man. Checked it out, super low volume but certainly worked for him.