Stopping Time!

has anyone ever been in a race where it feels like everything is in slow motion, where u can feel every stride, every powerful movement. nothing else exists exept ur race. it’s almost a dream.

that’s happened 2 me on a couple of occations and i have always been able 2 give my best perfomance when i’m in this state.

it would b intresting 2 hear if anyone has been in this state, has anyone been in “THE ZONE” and almost stopped time. :slight_smile:

Except for the “feeling powerful” bit(substitute feeling incredible ease), everyone at the top feels this!

Dang man, you nailed it. Sadly the last time I had that feeling was 2005 :frowning: (due to injuries)

Best run of my life man, I totally embarrassed my biggest rival, he start out fast but I caught him by 30m and we were neck and neck till about 80m when he started to fade, then I dont know why (either arrogance or plain ole showboating), but I looked across and watched him in his face from 80m right across the line.

It looked something like this pic, basically the same facial expression on me everything:

:cool:

The Phenomenon which you are refering to here is termed by psychologists as “Flow State”. This is one thing which I remember from one of my classes in college.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flow is a mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing, characterized by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. Proposed by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, the concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields.

It’s important to be mindful of this ‘time perception’ effect. It can feel like you aren’t going that quickly which, unless you have the confidence to know that all is going well and to stay relaxed, can lead to a temptation to press/try harder.

I had something like that. Difference was that I had a simple blackout while running.

Happened on the 200. I was extremely calm, and the gun went off. coming off the turn i was in last place and then about 110 meters in, i black out and when i pass the finish line i came in first; with a PR of 22.7.

That was probably the best race Ive ever had in the 200. I was dumfounded when I came through. I dont even remember passing the finish line. it was 50 meters after finishing when i came too!

they say that when obadele ran 9,69 at el paso in 1996 he was in the zone, even though the it could have been windy( i say could have been because the wind gauge melfunctioned so there was no wind reading 4 that race.) he was more than 3 meters infront of second place finisher who clocked 10.00 under the same conditions.

I had something like that once. It really felt as if time stopped. It felt like nothing around me was moving. I ran the 100 in my fastest time ever.

yest in training, i wish time went forwads quicker, damn i was in pain… Speed endurance up hills, ouch.

wasn’t Obe on top of Mt Fuji in a tornado when he ran that?

if I was there I would have run sub 0 :wink:

how on earth would u b able 2 run a sub 0?

Time went backwards!

Guys lets keep it serious, ok.

they say that when obadele ran 9,69 at el paso in 1996 he was in the zone, even though the it could have been windy( i say could have been because the wind gauge melfunctioned so there was no wind reading 4 that race.) he was more than 3 meters infront of second place finisher who clocked 10.00 under the same conditions.

I have seen the wind recorded at +5.7 for that race, perhaps its an error.

Doesnt he also hold the college 55m record in 5.99? Btw what is the world record? it should be right around there.

there where wind readings of that nature on that day bt the wind gauge malfunctioned sortly b4 the race so they had no wind reading 4 that particular race and yes ur right oba is the wr holder in the 55m, if memory serves, he set that time the same year he ran 9,69, 1996.