Steve "Mullet" signs with MSU

http://www.mstateathletics.com/0,5604,1_34_0_54427,00.html

Steve Mullings Signs With MSU Track Team

Apr 14, 2004

STARKVILLE, Miss. ­ Mississippi State University associate head track and field coach Steve Dudley announced Wednesday the signing of Barton County Community College’s Steve Mullings to a national letter-of-intent to compete for the Bulldogs this fall. The sprinter is originally from Perth Town, Jamaica.

“Steve Mullings is the fastest recruit that we have ever signed here at Mississippi State,” said Dudley. “His 10.05 solidifies this statement. He is another great kid that not only wants to make an Olympic team, but also wants to get his degree and help Mississippi State win its first national championship. I also look forward to aiding Steve in getting to the Olympic medal stand.”

He is the 2004 National Junior College Athletics Association Indoor National Champion in the 60-meter dash (6.59) and the 200m dash (21.04). His performance in the 60m broke the NJCAA Championship meet record set by his former teammate Tyson Gay in 2002, and he tied the meet record in the 200m.

“I’m excited about coming to Mississippi State because Coach Dudley is a good coach and he can take me to the next level,” said Mullings. “I’m also coming for the academics, so that I can graduate with a degree in marketing.”

Currently, he is tied for 14th in the world in the 60m dash and tied for 11th in the world in the indoor 200m dash. Mullings is ranked fifth on the International Association of Athletics Federations’ world 100m list.

His personal best marks in the indoor 60m and 200m are his times set at the NJCAA Championship this season. His outdoor PR in the 100m is 10.05 and 20.52 in the 200m.

The guy that does most of the work with Steve is based out in NY. His name is Allan. I know he was sending workouts for Steve when he was living in Jamaica and would work with him in the summer when he came up to the US. He also works with him during Christmas breaks,spring breaks, summers and any other break that comes up during the school year.
I am surprise to hear the MSU coach talk about getting Steve to the olympics, when the olympics starts before fall classes begin. The last time I checked he was calling Allan praying that Steve does not go pro. Well…